Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Where's the Ventana Zeus in this shootout? Does not make sense not to include it....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    Where's the Ventana Zeus in this shootout? Does not make sense not to include it....
    Agreed! I'll shoot an email to Ventana and see what they can do.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Could be mistaken, but Ventana doesn't offer complete builds of the Zeus. I would think that, to keep the shootout more manageable, using bikes from companies that offer complete builds would be easier. Otherwise, he'd need to source all these different parts to build them up. Having said that, I would be more interested in the 2013 Jamis XCT, than the 2012.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You're right but Ventana has provided recently fully built bikes for reviews by magazines before, so it may just be a matter of contacting them....

mtbr member
    You're right but Ventana has provided recently fully built bikes for reviews by magazines before, so it may just be a matter of contacting them....
    Yeah, they'll certainly do a full build for you if you want them too.

I think (and I hope participants will correct me if I'm wrong) that the MTBR testers contacted the companies that were offering 650b bikes about sending one to be included in this test. Ventana may have been contacted but not chosen or been able to participate? Or maybe MTBR failed to contact them?

Personally, I'm hoping Turner sends a Burner for inclusion soon!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I did contact them and she said they will not be sending a bike to MTBR. It was bunt and to the point. This is to bad and I think it could hurt potential awareness and sales.

I also contacted Lenz Sport about the new 650B Lunchbox. They had a large available for the test but MTBR needed a medium. Bad on MTBR's part for not jumping on that and finding someone to test the large size. At least an impression.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

swag ho Administrator
    Yes, we contacted Ventana and a few other companies. A lot of them don't have a test bike ready right now.

What we're doing is releasing the initial round up this year. And as companies are able to send them to us, we will add them to the round up. This will be a living, breathing document for many months to come!

fc

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Finish up with the Norco so Krakatoa Bikes can get it so I can demo it =P

swag ho Administrator
    Photo session highlight!

Mtbr 650b Round Up | Facebook

mtbr member
    I can't wait I order a Norco Killer b sight 2 at local bike shop hopefully the bike is in by February, but doesn't matter there still be snow. Love the tread and the pics especially the Norco.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    tagging along for the RM Altitude
    "Fair is foul and foul is fair." from Macbeth

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    A 4'11" rider should never be on a 5 inch 29er and a 6'4" rider should never be on a 5 inch 26er.
    yup. i just sold my XL 26" specialized 150mm enduro. loved the bike and the brain at both ends but at 6'3" i too often felt like i was perched on top of it while riding.

need an AM rig in the stable so i'm looking at replacing it with either a pivot mach 429 carbon, scott genius 900sl, or genius 700sl so i've really enjoyed this thread.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    The LTc felt huge to me with in medium (i'm 5'8") with it's long fork and big travel. It just felt like too much bike for me and it didn't fit well. The wheels were porky and I enjoyed it a lot more with carbon wheels and smaller tires.

fc
    What size Tracer275 are you testing? (I'm same height so was curious)

edit: ok just saw a follow up post of yours saying all test bikes were medium

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    gotta say the lack of info has caused me to lose interest in this shootout. Kind of thought info would be coming more frequently.

mtbr member
    x2
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC
    Yeti 575
    Troy Lee Designs
    Airpark Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    need an AM rig in the stable so i'm looking at replacing it with either a pivot mach 429 carbon, scott genius 900sl, or genius 700sl so i've really enjoyed this thread.
    That is one sick bike! Don't own one, but a high level rider I know say's he is quite stoked about his. The DW Link implementation is excellent.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner.989 View Post
    I can't wait I order a Norco Killer b sight 2 at local bike shop hopefully the bike is in by February, but doesn't matter there still be snow. Love the tread and the pics especially the Norco.
    Had to jump on a Sight B2 this week and reserve one for a May 2013 delivery
    The Rep told the shop that their just about sold out of bikes for 2013

mtbr member
    Hi Staz, how come your going to have to wait till may for a delivery? The local bike shop I live near never gave me a date, but I sure hope its not that late. I ordered the bike back in september, and dont no when the bikeshop placed the order though. I also saw on the internet that a bike shop has already recieved an order of the bikes. One dissapointing thing about Norco is The Canadian price is so high wish we could get American prices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner.989 View Post
    Hi Staz, how come your going to have to wait till may for a delivery? The local bike shop I live near never gave me a date, but I sure hope its not that late. I ordered the bike back in september, and dont no when the bikeshop placed the order though. I also saw on the internet that a bike shop has already recieved an order of the bikes. One dissapointing thing about Norco is The Canadian price is so high wish we could get American prices.
    That's the delivery date the rep gave us...not sure why so long....maybe the first batch sold already and the May date is for a second run....all I know was I had to get the order in for the B-2 with a deposit ....as there were only 3 large left for the rest of 2013...they sold like hotcakes

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by staz View Post
    That's the delivery date the rep gave us...not sure why so long....maybe the first batch sold already and the May date is for a second run....all I know was I had to get the order in for the B-2 with a deposit ....as there were only 3 large left for the rest of 2013...they sold like hotcakes
    Any marketing experts in the forum who can explain this low supply strategy that so many of the few companies who have 27.5" bikes in their line have adopted? Pre order in advance or you are SOL. No bikes on the showroom floor to look at or demo. They sell out their small supply of initial production to enthusiastic buyers, then piss off the next wave who didn't feel like pre-ordering and waiting 6 mos for delivery, sight unseen, only to find they're sold out. And finally having nothing on the floor for new customers to check out and see what the fuss is about? I don't get it. Looks like buying online from Turner or Lenz might be all that is available for some of us.
    Last edited by dwt; 01-07-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    I think you could call it "caution in the face of a weak global economy, complex & dynamic market, and uncertain demand from a fickle public."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Probably true but very frustrating. Salsa has been using a similar strategy with nearly all their models, that are all pretty much sold out before they even come out. Talking with a Salsa dealer, it seems like it is the "let's not risk losing money with leftover inventory" attitude. Turner, Ventana or Lenz are indeed the solutions and fantastic bikes by the way....

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Salsa's method is a good one... look at Jamis... their canadian distributor still has fifty plus 2008 models in inventory and you can find the USA side of the company dumping stuff to online dealers to put on ebay for the 2011-2012 model years. Salsa's former canadian distributor STILL has lots of leftover inventory and they stopped being the distributor several years ago.
    Last edited by DeeEight; 01-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I agree, better to be in Salsa's shoes than Jamis' from a business standpoint. My LBS is a Salsa dealer and they have not been able to provide enough inventory to interested customers this year, so that sucks from a dealer and customer's standpoint, as dwt pointed out for the new 650B offerings.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast