Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Where you able to get a Mojo HD 140 650b? I know you said that should not be a problem. Not production but it is authorized.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wheelbase and cost are going to be the main concerns on the Scott. I rode it in the Bootleg Canyon desert and while it handled the rocky desert pretty well. It might not do as well in the very tight stuff. Also, they have a rear locking DT shock that is synced with the front locking fork. Cool stuff but is definitely bleeding edge. And DT is not as tuneable or reliable as a Fox.
    I don't think I'm interested in the Scott to purchase but it's geo is about the closest of all the bikes to the new 650B Banshee Spitfire (sadly not ready for this test) that I'm REALLY interested in although my conditions are tight rocky chunk for the most part. The DT shock on the Scott is a turnoff for me as well besides price. Nice light weight though.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    have a tracer 275 on order. looking forward to the review. Looking forward to riding my new bike one of these days too

swag ho Administrator
    Scott Genius 720 ($4700 build) will be here in a few days.

Intense Carbine too. Things are heating up

I shot a video with the Norco Sight last night on a tight and bumpy trail called Waterdog, CA.

fc

mtbr member

Tracer 275 or Norco Sight B.?

So far it looks like you've been riding the Norco alot and curious why not the tracer .?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC
    Yeti 575
    Troy Lee Designs
    Airpark Bikes

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Scott Genius 720 ($4700 build) will be here in a few days.

Intense Carbine too. Things are heating up

I shot a video with the Norco Sight last night on a tight and bumpy trail called Waterdog, CA.

fc
    Hey Ultra Lord, I'm not sure if I understand your "shootout" format. "Shootout" articles are normally after all of the bikes have been tested, opinions and data analysed and the information presented at one time comparing them all by different parameters. This seems to be a thread that is just talking about different bikes your getting, and because there is a new response everyday, it seems to stay at the top. SO, would you PLEASE put this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/my-...rs-376656.html back to the top as a "Sticky?" There is a lot of valuable info in there for people wanting to try 650b and was once a sticky to be easily seen.

I look forward to the results of your "shootout."
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Hey Ultra Lord, I'm not sure if I understand your "shootout" format. "Shootout" articles are normally after all of the bikes have been tested, opinions and data analysed and the information presented at one time comparing them all by different parameters. This seems to be a thread that is just talking about different bikes your getting, and because there is a new response everyday, it seems to stay at the top. SO, would you PLEASE put this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/my-...rs-376656.html back to the top as a "Sticky?" There is a lot of valuable info in there for people wanting to try 650b and was once a sticky to be easily seen.

I look forward to the results of your "shootout."
    +1

Maybe a simple spreadsheet listing the bikes, various categories of performance and function, and ratings on whatever scale you find appropriate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dwt; 11-14-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: new stuff
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Now older but less slow!
    Took the modified Sight out today. Kashima front/rear with 140/160. Tubeless Rocket Ron and Hans Dampf.

I have to say it is one of the finest rides I have ever done on my 6 mile descent. 650b is here and it will take over.

fc
    That Sight sure looks nice. I'm a 650 fan but in the end I caved and decided not to wait and went and bought a Tallboy LTc, which I know you were also a fan of.

I am curious as to how the 650 bikes like the Sight stand up against good long travel (high end) 29ers like the Tallboy LTc?

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    That Sight sure looks nice. I'm a 650 fan but in the end I caved and decided not to wait and went and bought a Tallboy LTc, which I know you were also a fan of.

I am curious as to how the 650 bikes like the Sight stand up against good long travel (high end) 29ers like the Tallboy LTc?
    And against the Sultan, which I'm demoing today! The Sight and RM Altitude have my attention in the 650b class.

swag ho Administrator

My buddy and I got got Tallboy LTc for the weekend and shot a couple of videos:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc Carbon All Mountain 29er bike - YouTube
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc 29er carbon All Mountain Bike - YouTube

I think the Tallboy LTc and the Specialized Stumpy EVO 29ers are the best of breed of long travel 29ers. They are well thought out and do everything well.

But travel is not quite that high as they limit it to 135mm or 140mm. So a comparison with a 150mm or 160mm travel 650b is appropriate.

The 650b is easier to throw around in mid air. It is easier to adjust the attitude or style in mid-air. It's also easier tho throw the bike into a corner and carve.

The 29er will handle obstacles better and I remember the Tallboy LTc cushioned all the blows on my hard landings on the video.

In the end, I think the 150mm travel 650bs will be more fun to ride and more agile under capable hands.

The LTc felt huge to me with in medium (i'm 5'8") with it's long fork and big travel. It just felt like too much bike for me and it didn't fit well. The wheels were porky and I enjoyed it a lot more with carbon wheels and smaller tires.

fc

Now older but less slow!
    The LTc felt huge to me with in medium (i'm 5'8") with it's long fork and big travel. It just felt like too much bike for me and it didn't fit well. The wheels were porky and I enjoyed it a lot more with carbon wheels and smaller tires.

fc
    So that is an interesting point. The size of the rider can obviously affect how a bike feels to them. I can fully appreciate that someone of your, ahem, stature could probably prefer the sizing of a 650 over a 29er. Yes the TBLTc is a big bike. I'm nearly 6ft and at first I thought the bike (a large) was big at first (especially compared to my 26er) but now it feels a great fit.

I still like the 27ers though so i am still watching this segment. Will you have tall riders in this shootout to give their opinions on fit?

swag ho Administrator
    So that is an interesting point. The size of the rider can obviously affect how a bike feels to them. I can fully appreciate that someone of your, ahem, stature could probably prefer the sizing of a 650 over a 29er. Yes the TBLTc is a big bike. I'm nearly 6ft and at first I thought the bike (a large) was big at first (especially compared to my 26er) but now it feels a great fit.

I still like the 27ers though so i am still watching this segment. Will you have tall riders in this shootout to give their opinions on fit?
    Yes! In the future, height will be very relevant to wheel size choice. A 4'11" rider should never be on a 5 inch 29er and a 6'4" rider should never be on a 5 inch 26er. Fit the darn rider and throw away the shoe horn.

All the test bikes are medium so all the test riders will be in the same neighborhood of 5'7" to 5'10 I think.

fc

74 & 29 pilot
    Thank you for making it a sticky again!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

swag ho Administrator
    The Scott 720 just landed.
    Scott Genius 720 Photos and Preview | Mountain Bike Review

A user commented that all lower priced Scott 650bs were sold out. True?

fc

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The Scott 720 just landed.

A user commented that all lower priced Scott 650bs were sold out. True?

fc
    Funny. I bought my lightly used Jamis 650B because I was concerned about availability of the new Scott and Rocky Mountain mid level bikes. When neither company was keen to giving ANY kind of deal for a Sept. pre-order, and then Rocky Mtn. mentioned that the bikes would be "scarce" to begin with, I jumped on my set up. Love the ride and now am looking to sell my 26" Trek Top Fuel. I will miss the carbon frame, but only until I buy a new carbon Rocky Mtn. frame!

And BTW, the ride has GOTS to be a climber if it is for me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Giant 650b?

Francois, do you (or anybody else out there) know if Giant has any plans on a 650b?

Rider

My Custom 650b Ti from Generic Cycles

Just wanted to show off my new ride...Couldn't ask for anything better. Formula Brakes, XT and Truvativ drive-train, American Classic Wheel set, LOOK pedals, White Brothers Magic, Thomson Post and Stem, Easton Carbon Bar, Chris King Inset Headset
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 All Mountain Bike Shootout-bike3.jpg  

Last edited by JonL; 11-21-2012 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow! Custom Ti 650b hardtail made in CO??
    Schhwwiiing
    That thing looks pretty rad. Can you post a closeup of the seat tube?... looks like some fancy fabricate'n going on there.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzer View Post
    Francois, do you (or anybody else out there) know if Giant has any plans on a 650b?
    I would figure 2014 models when I assume the big 4 will finally venture into the 650B world.

The Maistro suspension is excellent and a true 650B Reign would be an awesome bike. Trance as well.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Rider
    Here is a better idea of the seat tube. The idea as I get it is to keep the chain stay short and keep the seat post angle dead on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 All Mountain Bike Shootout-frame.jpg  

Rider

Generic Cycles ~ The Ultimate 650b

Here is a photo of the dual yoke detail....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 All Mountain Bike Shootout-gcyolk.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonL View Post
    Here is a better idea of the seat tube. The idea as I get it is to keep the chain stay short and keep the seat post angle dead on.
    Man, that thing looks phenomenal.... ready to take a beating. Looks like there's something interesting going on with the chainstay yoke too. Can you tell us about the angles, the custom build process, etc.?

mtbr member
    Cool bike...wrong thread.

Rider
    The build process was pretty simple for me... maybe not so much for Chris at Generic Cycles since he had to put up with my impatience.
    I was shopping for something different. Found the Generic Cycles site and made a call. The frame is The Ultimate, it is advertised as "The last 29er you'll ever need (or want)".
    I asked Chris about his thoughts of building a 650b frame and he was game. We talked about the riding I do and what I was currently riding as well as the fork I was going to use. I received a fairly standard measurement form from Chris, measured myself up, e-mailed it over. A day later I had a CAD drawing of the frame in hand. I ended up with 69 degree HA and a 72.5 SA, the chainstay length is 415mm. Around 4 months later the frame arrived.

Rider
    I thought it was the wrong thread, but couldn't find where else to post. I am not on here very often, sorry!

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast