Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    If you want a lightweight, light duty 650b, then the TRc is fine. It is carbon fiber and good for 130mm travel front and rear. You'll need smaller tires front and rear like a Pacenti or Nevegal 2.2 to have some room for dirt and mud in the stays and arch.

Then it will work good. It will be around 26 lbs and you can have the advantages of 650b.

But if you want more travel, more cush, more tires, then you should wait. The Norco Sight, Range, Intense Tracer are much burlier bikes that can take bigger forks and tires. You can go 150mm travel front rear and put in Hans Dampf tires front and rear. This bike can do a whole lot more if that's what you're looking for.

fc
    Yes, I am looking for a 5" 650b, lightweight.
    What I am not sure is if a 650b fork - RS Revelation at 120mm would be a good option.
    I am afraid to mess with geometry too much and 130mm 650 Revelation might push the front too high.
    Did you notice any negatives in riding with the higher BB on your 650b TRc?
    Thank you!

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    What I am not sure is if a 650b fork - RS Revelation at 120mm would be a good option.
    I am afraid to mess with geometry too much and 130mm 650 Revelation might push the front too high.
    Thank you!
    X-Fusion Velvet is much loved in these parts.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Thank you!
    130mm 650 Revelation should not be an issue at all. The Fox 130mm is what I use on my TRc and what I used on my TRc 650b.

The 130mm 650b Revelation may have a taller axle to crown since it's a true 650b fork but I think TRc will be just fine. I have friends that ride that bike with a 140mm and 150mm 26er and it works good.

The stock TRc BB at 13.1 mm unsagged is very low so jacking it up to 13.6 inches is ok and on par with most All Mountain bikes these days.

fc

mtbr member
    Looking forward to this comparison. Wish I could be there to ride them all back to back with you.. Waiting anxiously to hear what you guys find.

No Carbine 275? IMHO it is the bike to beat in this category. (Disclaimer: I've only ridden two of the contenders)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Need another son? You could adopt me, seems to be pretty cool living in your house!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Looking forward to this comparison. Wish I could be there to ride them all back to back with you.. Waiting anxiously to hear what you guys find.

No Carbine 275? IMHO it is the bike to beat in this category. (Disclaimer: I've only ridden two of the contenders)
    Yeah, I would REALLY hope to see the Carbine 275 as it's really a different bike from the Tracer 275.

Francois, Banshee was gonna contact you about a 650B Rune V2 (sadly no 650B Spitfires yet). Hope you guys can work something out to include the bike in the testing.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Need another son? You could adopt me, seems to be pretty cool living in your house!
    He is begging me for a bmx/dirt jumper right now. I would give it to him in a heartbeat but I said he needed to do 5 big mountain bike rides and he agreed. He's 3/5 right now and already planning the next two rides.

He is finally getting it at age 12 so I couldn't be happier. We're going to Whissler next year!!

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Yeah, I would REALLY hope to see the Carbine 275 as it's really a different bike from the Tracer 275.

Francois, Banshee was gonna contact you about a 650B Rune V2 (sadly no 650B Spitfires yet). Hope you guys can work something out to include the bike in the testing.
    Banshee is in. Did you make that happen? Their bike will arrive in December but we'll make sure to get that test going quickly.

fc

swag ho Administrator

What's up KRob!!! I'll check on the Carbine 275. We love Tracer 275 but it is heavy with around a 7 lb frame and a stout build on our test bike.

I don't quite understand the difference with the two bikes. They seem really close aside from materials used.

fc

mtbr member
    Mountain biking with your kids is the best. I'm planning a Durango trip for next summer with my 14 yr old son.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I don't quite understand the difference with the two bikes. They seem really close aside from materials used.
    Carbine 275 has 3/4" shorter WB, higher BB () and lighter weight . and is stiff. From what I've read it gives it a very different feel from the Tracer 275. Go get one!

Awesome news on the Banshee Yeah, that was me who contacted them. Tried for the Spitfire but it's not quite ready. Rune should be pretty sweet I think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rode the carbine at interbike and was very impressed, more fun than my moment with a 650b front, which I really like. I REALLY want to demo the norco!!!

KRob, fellow nevadan, did u demo it?

swag ho Administrator
    The Intense Carbine 275 is in. I didn't even have to contact them. They just saw this thread

fc

mtbr member
    The Intense Carbine 275 is in. I didn't even have to contact them. They just saw this thread

fc
    Dude! You are living the dream

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Dude! You are living the dream
    I am just a squirrel trying to earn a nut.

fc

mtbr member
    What's up KRob!!! I'll check on the Carbine 275. We love Tracer 275 but it is heavy with around a 7 lb frame and a stout build on our test bike.

fc
    Hey Francois. Still readjusting my mindset from the BC trip. Cool to see your son ripping it up on full sized bikes. I was shocked when I discovered that my 13 year-old fit really well on my old Hammerhead 100x (size M) when he tried it this summer. Threw on a shorter stem and riser bar and it was perfect. Having a real bike has really upped his riding as well.

Yeah, I've been wondering that myself. Travel and geometry are similar in the 650B iteration. All things being equal, I'd rather have the ~2 lb lighter frame (which is probably stiffer too). We were surprised at how "AM" capable the 275 Carbine felt.

Wish I could've ridden them back to back. I'll do a little research on the Intense board and report back.
    Last edited by KRob; 11-07-2012 at 03:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Does the Carbine 275 have 8.5 x 2.5 shock??

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I recently had an issue with my 2012 650B. Pivot bolts came loose down by the BB. The RS Monarch (set to 30 % sag) seemed to work well and I was getting 80-90 % stroke, and the bike seemed to REALLY want you to stay in the saddle. Fine by me, but after riding through a compression while firmly seated, I think I bottomed the shock out. Almost immediately my chain began to rub the front derailleur while in the first 3-4 gears (while in mid ring). No rub when switched to granny, nor when in big ring. Not sure if I should add some lock tight to the bolts. I tightened bolt on right side of bike but plan to pull the crank and torque the left side down as well.

mtbr member
    May 2005

fc
    Sweet, nice to see a company just jump in. Same with Banshee, the guy was emailing me on a Saturday after I contacted them about your shootout. Jamis hasn't answered me in over a week about my shock issue

What's the bike list looking like now?

Ventana? Anyone contacted them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RosedaleReaper View Post
    I rode the carbine at interbike and was very impressed, more fun than my moment with a 650b front, which I really like. I REALLY want to demo the norco!!!

KRob, fellow nevadan, did u demo it?
    Rode the Carbine 275 at I-bike also and we dug it.....a lot. The Burner was also very good. Too bad they won't be able to get one of those for the test.

I really wanted to ride the Range. The Norco guys had just returned from I-bike when I was up in Vancouver but they said I could take it if I came clear across town to pick it up. I had a tight ride schedule and a date with Noel's Chilcotin that day so ended up passing.
    Last edited by KRob; 11-07-2012 at 04:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Jamis hasn't answered me in over a week about my shock issue
    Jamis' east coast headquarters are in New Jersey. I'm waiting on Jamis too, but I'm cutting them slack cause of the hurricane.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    How is the 650b/27.5er Scott Genius for stiffness vs the mojoHD? The more i look at that scott the more im really starting to dig it.... Though that Rocky Mtn looks nice to... I like the intense but they need to make a xl frame... Im getting new bike-itis.. And the only cure is some fresh carbon...

Oji
    Jun 2008

No Burner?

The Burner was also very good. Too bad they won't be able to get one of those for the test.
    I thought the Burner was in the shoot out, just not available as a production model until December. Perhaps I am mistaken. I'm really looking forward to the comparison, especially given the 13" BB on the Burner. The BB on my 650b front 5.Spot is at 14" with a Neo in a Fox 140 fork and I've gotten quite used to it. Going down to 13" will certainly be different, both pro and con, IMO.

mtbr member
    Gonna be REALLY interested in the Rocky Mountain vs. the Burner--those are the two I'm currently considering. Man, I wish it was easier to score a test ride on some of these bikes! I'd have to spend the price on a bike to travel where I'd need to go to try one out.

dwt
    mtbr member
    My Main focus: Genius vs. Altitude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast