Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    are you doing carbon bikes or aluminum because if you are doing aluminum I would like get my hands on a 650b aluminum full supension

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    It is all a matter of personal preference. I have a short torso - I like shortish TT. I can compare a very contemporary SC Nickel w/ 5" of APP vs. the HD DW-Link. Yes, the APP feels quite bottomless, but it quite sucks at 1x9 because its platform and anti-squat turns the bike into a hard tail in technical climbing. The DW-Link maintains traction like possessed in forest terrain. Also, I highly prefer speed sensitive shock with linear response over a position sensitive shock with a boost valve - again from my limited experience with an Avalanche DHX 5 vs. Float RL / RP23. Boost valves are nothing but a crutch for poor suspension designs IMO.
    You made a good choice with the HD for riding seated over lots of tree roots. It rides high but settles into it's travel well and sucks up those sharp edge rollover objects.My Meta 6 is good for that as it has a similar suspension curve but with a lot more antisquat than the HD.

I would consider the Blur TRc suspension performance contemporary, not the Nickel.The TRc has more antisquat but settles deeper into it's travel much easier.From about 50mm of travel it 's suspension curve is almost identical to the HD.The nickel ramps up quite a bit more is than both from 40mm onwards.

I'm with you on boost valve shocks but for the opposite reason. The boost valve shock needs to be paired with a good contemparary suspension design.I can see where your coming from if you had to use it like a CTD shock.They would be terrible on a poor suspension design unless you are always reaching down and switching modes. Ive only got one bike where it works really well. The rest of my bikes I've replaced all my boost valve rp23's with RT3's
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 11-02-2012 at 06:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

26ers will hang on for sizing and big travel legacy reasons so they won't go away. There will be minimal growth however.

fc
    Currently Schwalbe disagree with you. Their 26" tire range is still the biggest by far and it's getting bigger with snakeskin being added to Ro Ro.

mtbr member

At least some Aluminum

The Foes and Turners only come in aluminum and I believe it was said that the Tracer 275 will be included so that would be 3 Aluminum bikes involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by person579 View Post
    are you doing carbon bikes or aluminum because if you are doing aluminum I would like get my hands on a 650b aluminum full supension

mtbr member

At least some Aluminum

The Foes and Turners only come in aluminum and I believe it was said that the Tracer 275 will be included so that would be 3 Aluminum bikes involved.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Norco Sight and Range only come in aluminium as well. The Scott Genuis and the RM Altitude have both carbon and aluminium options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Currently Schwalbe disagree with you. Their 26" tire range is still the biggest by far and it's getting bigger with snakeskin being added to Ro Ro.
    26er will be the biggest category for many component companies for a while. But that will be more because of legacy.

Notice that not many new products will be introduced there. Schwalbe for example will not have any new 26er tread patterns. But they will have six new 650b ones next year.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reforminded View Post
    Curious why you are testing the last generation of the Jamis 650b platform....the frame is completely redesigned for 2013 and is supposed to be substantially stiffer (laterally) while also shedding a little weight.
    This is a good point. It's just that I've had this 2012 Jamis test bike for the last three months. I'll ask them for a new one on Monday.

fc

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Subscribed. Great thread. Really interested in the feedback on the RM Altitude

Baby Bear is in the house
    The three bikes pictured above (Norco, Intense, Jamis) are all aluminum. KHS only has alu FS 650B bikes to date.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    hey francois, can you throw a Nicolai AC 650b into the mix?
    Last edited by loamranger; 11-03-2012 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is a good point. It's just that I've had this 2012 Jamis test bike for the last three months. I'll ask them for a new one on Monday.

fc
    Francois, have you been able to get full travel from the Monarch shock on the Jamis? I've yet to be able to get full travel on my 2011 B2 (bought this year as leftover) even with 30% sag and my 185lb geared up weight. Jamis has not replied back to me about this.

Other good changes besides stronger frame on the 2013 are the move to a 24/38 crank (on the Pro model) from the 26/39 the previous 2 years, 10mm shorter stems (but still not short enough IMO) and 30mm wider bars @ 700mm now.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Wait until you ride the Scott Genius 700......OMG!!!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

Other good changes besides stronger frame on the 2013 are the move to a 24/38 crank (on the Pro model) from the 26/39 the previous 2 years, 10mm shorter stems (but still not short enough IMO) and 30mm wider bars @ 700mm now.
    HTA still 69* though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    HTA still 69* though.

Yeah, I would have like to see 68* on the new model.

Works Components angle set would take care of that and I've already considered it.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Yeah, I would have like to see 68* on the new model.

Works Components angle set would take care of that and I've already considered it.
    What about Cane Creek?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    What about Cane Creek?

Seems to have issues if not installed just perfect. Also adds stack height.

Works Components has a ZS lower cup but you have to decide the degree you want and lacks the CC adjustability in that way. I'm fine with that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Francois, have you been able to get full travel from the Monarch shock on the Jamis? I've yet to be able to get full travel on my 2011 B2 (bought this year as leftover) even with 30% sag and my 185lb geared up weight. Jamis has not replied back to me about this.

Have you tried dropping the IFP pressure?. It makes quite a difference.It's only a 5 min job but you need the special adaptor. I've dropped some of my rt3's down to about 50 psi above the main air chamber pressure.

I also find, even L tune RT3's, respond well to 33 to 35% sag. They have a starchy feel and really smooth out at the lower pressure. I always run them at least 5 psi lower than a pre boost valve rp23 and about 20psi lower than a boost valve rp23.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Have you tried dropping the IFP pressure?. It makes quite a difference.It's only a 5 min job but you need the special adaptor. I've dropped some of my rt3's down to about 50 psi above the main air chamber pressure.

I also find, even L tune RT3's, respond well to 33 to 35% sag. They have a starchy feel and really smooth out at the lower pressure. I always run them at least 5 psi lower than a pre boost valve rp23 and about 20psi lower than a boost valve rp23.
    Please PM me more details. I've no idea about this or how to do it but it seems to make sense and might help. I want to see full travel on hard trail rides that don't include more than 2' drops. Compliant rock and root crawling suspension vs huckability.

Mine has the MM tune high volume shock

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Please PM me more details. I've no idea about this or how to do it but it seems to make sense and might help. I want to see full travel on hard trail rides that don't include more than 2' drops. Compliant rock and root crawling suspension vs huckability.

Mine has the MM tune high volume shock
    Don't think I can PM the links. If all else fails you may have to get a L tune piston. I find it is similar tune to pre boost valve RP23 M tune. I run L comp tune on all my RT3's.You can still use mid platform where need be as it's a smooth transtion when it blows thru.

Here's some discussion
    Monarch & IFP pressure change...

pg 32 of the manual gives good pics and info. I drop it to no less than 200psi.For consistancy I deflate main chamber first.

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...bBQbug&cad=rja
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 11-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Don't think I can PM the links. If all else fails you may have to get a L tune piston. I find it is similar tune to pre boost valve RP23 M tune. I run L comp tune on all my RT3's.You can still use mid platform where need be as it's a smooth transtion when it blows thru.

Here's some discussion
    Monarch & IFP pressure change...

pg 32 of the manual gives good pics and info. I drop it to no less than 200psi.For consistancy I deflate main chamber first.

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...rQheYIZkbMkwhg
    Thanks, great info and reading. RS IFP adapter ordered and a rep for you

Can't wait to try this

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Oops, I had the wrong manual posted. Thanks for the rep.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    In the future, many will own a 29er hardtail and a 650b All Mountain bike. Both will be awesome and the ride handling transition between them will be manageable.

fc
    Thank you Francois! This is actually the direction I'm trying to go. Keep my 29er hardtail and build up a 650b for my full suspension. The 26er stays around for my pump track bike. Everything should be dialed after that.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Now I need your advice. I can't make up my mind for the last 2 months.
    Should I build a 650b TRc (got the frame in SC sale) or should sell it, wait and get a 650b dedicated frame?
    I know you have ridden a TRc in 650b for awhile, so what would Francis do?

If you want a lightweight, light duty 650b, then the TRc is fine. It is carbon fiber and good for 130mm travel front and rear. You'll need smaller tires front and rear like a Pacenti or Nevegal 2.2 to have some room for dirt and mud in the stays and arch.

Then it will work good. It will be around 26 lbs and you can have the advantages of 650b.

But if you want more travel, more cush, more tires, then you should wait. The Norco Sight, Range, Intense Tracer are much burlier bikes that can take bigger forks and tires. You can go 150mm travel front rear and put in Hans Dampf tires front and rear. This bike can do a whole lot more if that's what you're looking for.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 All Mountain Bike Shootout-pb040245.jpg  

mtbr member
    a light carbon 650b DW/VPP with 5" travel, that would be nice...
    Last edited by jazzanova; 11-05-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast