Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    After lurking around this thread for a month I just couldn't wait any longer for the reviews, so I called my local Norco dealer and ordered a Range Killer B frame to replace my Turner Sultan. With the 17" chainstays and the longish TT the numbers just fit (on paper anyway). Fingers crossed. ETA... March 1st
    Last edited by wipp; 01-14-2013 at 07:11 PM.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Does this mean you're reviewing the Sight with the Fox fork @160mm and not the stock RS Rev? The BB height and weight shown are with the Fox? Why not the stock fork?
    I rode it for a month bone-stock. Good reminder. I'll make sure to use those photos and impressions as the primary content for that bike.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody View Post
    francois,

For bike reviews, especially when discussing components or geometry, you may just want to do still or slow panning shots of the bikes with no sound, and do the vocals later on inside. The background noise was distracting. In fact, for most of the video, even riding sections, we dont need to hear on camera audio really at all.

I love MTBR, and want to see its Pro-Review section grow, but we'll need quality video reviews to compete with some of the competition.
    Good feedback. I'll definitely experiment with this.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattack View Post
    So what is the skinny on the Jamis? I don't ever see reviews and what kind of seems like negative chatter on this thread (maybe?). I have been riding a 2012 650B for 4 months now and have been loving it. Seemed affordable and upgraded on the cheap so I'm an XTR/SLX mix with Stan's wheel set, some other nice stuff (bars, seat post) and I'm rolling 29 lbs. for about $2500.00. My problem now is that I want the 2013. Am I just wasted on the 650-Aid?
    We have a review here:
    Jamis Dakar Sixfifty B Comp and Pro Bike Test | Mountain Bike Review

fc

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was under the impression that frames only were not avail. this year?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frame Only

@Tim, I just put a deposit on a frame only order. The shop called and confirmed with Norco, the only open question is when Norco would actually have them to ship to the US (est. last week of Feb).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim22 View Post
    I was under the impression that frames only were not avail. this year?
    Range yes, Sight no...from what I remember reading someplace
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    double post

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great Reviews!

Nice start on the reviews Francois!

Any idea what the weight difference is between the Norco Range frame and the Sight?

Thanks.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I rode it for a month bone-stock. Good reminder. I'll make sure to use those photos and impressions as the primary content for that bike.

fc
    Gotcha
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    @Tim, I just put a deposit on a frame only order. The shop called and confirmed with Norco, the only open question is when Norco would actually have them to ship to the US (est. last week of Feb).
    That is good to know! and:
    Retail price for the frame only?
    Which color available?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The MSRP was $2700! Luckily I got a very good discount from my shop. No word on the color, I guess I'll take what I get.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Shootout Release

When will the shootout article be released? Initial timeline was Jan 15....which was yesterday. I'm ready to see how they all compare!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The MSRP was $2700! Luckily I got a very good discount from my shop. No word on the color, I guess I'll take what I get.
    $2700 is the price of the Range Killer B 3 complete build! How can they sell the frame only at the same price?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    $2700 is the price of the Range Killer B 3 complete build! How can they sell the frame only at the same price?

Pricey Eh!

The frame only has a better shock than the B3, but I think amazingly thats it. I was also shopping the Turner Burner (I was going to take advantage of their trade in program) and the Intense Tracer. If you toss out the "Made in USA" value (I think it's important to support local manufacturing), both bikes were about the same price as the discounted Range and the Turner with the trade in was only a couple of hundred cheaper after you paid for the upgraded Kashima coated shock.

I'm willing to pay the toll for the Norco because the geometry is perfect for me. At this point no one else has 17" stays with a 24.5" TT. The Intense was close but the tire clearance was just plain silly, they need to fix that. The Turner is just too low and long for my tastes these days.

I'm hoping I made the right choice!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Pricey Eh!

At this point no one else has 17" stays with a 24.5" TT. !
    The Ventana Zeus does, perhaps with some Level 1 custom upgrade ($150) if required....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah, darn pricey IMO for a more mass produced aluminum frame than something like a Turner, Ventana, Intense, etc.. Good thing you got a nice discount.

Did you look into the new Banshee Rune as a possibility? Pretty sick and versatile bike, 160mm travel, 26" or 650B with adjustable BB height and HA...and you can probably get a frame for around $1,800. The new KS Link is awesome.

Rune | Banshee Bikes: DH Race, Freeride, All Mountain, Trail, Slopestyle, DJ/Street/4x, Aggressive Trail, Cross Country

2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah I did. I was worried about dealer support in my area as I tend to need it from time to time. I like the adjustable geo idea, but the way I read it is that the low/slack setting in 650B is almost 14" at the BB with slightly longer CS and shorter TT than the Norco. The KS link is very cool, but no way to know how it rides without trying it first, where as I have a pretty good idea on the modified Horst.

Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Yeah, darn pricey IMO for a more mass produced aluminum frame than something like a Turner, Ventana, Intense, etc.. Good thing you got a nice discount.

Did you look into the new Banshee Rune as a possibility? Pretty sick and versatile bike, 160mm travel, 26" or 650B with adjustable BB height and HA...and you can probably get a frame for around $1,800. The new KS Link is awesome.

Rune | Banshee Bikes: DH Race, Freeride, All Mountain, Trail, Slopestyle, DJ/Street/4x, Aggressive Trail, Cross Country

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's something I hadn't thought of, and I have an old El Rey frame that I've been hanging onto for some reason. Does the Ventana still depend on Pro Pedal or does the new pivot placement cure some of that? My El Rey was sweet with the stock short travel rockers but it was a real sagging mess with the 5" rockers

Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    The Ventana Zeus does, perhaps with some Level 1 custom upgrade ($150) if required....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's something I hadn't thought of, and I have an old El Rey frame that I've been hanging onto for some reason. Does the Ventana still depend on Pro Pedal or does the new pivot placement cure some of that? My El Rey was sweet with the stock short travel rockers but it was a real sagging mess with the 5" rockers
    I have been riding a demo El Chucho a few times last summer and my new Zeus just a little before the snow hit. Much like all new Ventana owners have said on several threads around here, the pedaling is much much improved compared to the older frames (I had an El Ciclon so I could compare). And you can benefit from the Ventana trade-in program (30% discount on a new frame) with your old El Rey

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest with Ventana, I just think they are completely overlooked

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    I have been riding a demo El Chucho a few times last summer and my new Zeus just a little before the snow hit. Much like all new Ventana owners have said on several threads around here, the pedaling is much much improved compared to the older frames (I had an El Ciclon so I could compare). And you can benefit from the Ventana trade-in program (30% discount on a new frame) with your old El Rey

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest with Ventana, I just think they are completely overlooked
    Just called Ventana and I may be sold. Sherwood says he's running the Zues on buff singletrack with the CTD set on descend, even on the climbs. I'm going to measure up my bike now and see if I have to order custom or not.

BTW: It's cool that they are there to answer questions, and even cooler that Sherwood has ridden my local trails and had time to give set up advice based on my favorites
    Last edited by wipp; 01-16-2013 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    They are so easy to speak to, just call and you end up chatting with Sherwood himself to fine tune the frame you need for your riding.... Enjoy!

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaGenerator View Post
    When will the shootout article be released? Initial timeline was Jan 15....which was yesterday. I'm ready to see how they all compare!
    Here us the link to Norco Sight Killer B review

http://reviews.mtbr.com/norco-sight-...-650b-round-up

The video reviews of Intense, Scott and Foes are also up on you tube. Don't think Turner is up yet
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    SOLD! The trade in deal was by far the best value, the 19" frame fit stock and the only upgrade I ordered was for the 12mm thru axle rear. I knew I was hanging on to that first gen El Rey for some reason

Just called Ventana and I may be sold. Sherwood says he's running the Zues on buff singletrack with the CTD set on descend, even on the climbs. I'm going to measure up my bike now and see if I have to order custom or not.

BTW: It's cool that they are there to answer questions, and even cooler that Sherwood has ridden my local trails and had time to give set up advice based on my favorites

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    650 with good spec seem to be way overpriced still

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast