Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went throught they same deal with Transition Bikes last year...their Bandit 29er was a hot sell...got in on the first run with a deposit and took about 3 months to get the frame. Looks like it's the new way to sell

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by staz View Post
    . Looks like it's the new way to sell
    Screw that. If Scott and RM want me to whore myself for the privilege of paying mega thousands for their carbon bikes, sight unseen, they have a marketing strategy that leaves me cold.

I think Intense, Norco, Jamis, KHS, Turner, Lenz, Ventana may have a better strategy. Intense Carbine, or Alloy frames, are fine by me.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Screw that. If Scott and RM want me to whore myself for the privilege of paying mega thousands for their carbon bikes, sight unseen, they have a marketing strategy that leaves me cold.

I think Intense, Norco, Jamis, KHS, Turner, Lenz, Ventana may have a better strategy. Intense Carbine, or Alloy frames, are fine by me.
    I've never had a problem demo'ing RM's around here. I am guessing they are just being a bit cautious with their first ever 650b bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Its about the product actually holding its value. If their over produced or don't sell they have to be dumped. This lowers the value. Would you really pay full price for a jamis? Of course not their being dumped all over the net. Pre booking and lean forecasting are how most of these companies hold their products value. They can then mass produce the bikes that actually do sell volume. $400 hybrids are more important to a company like jamis. Idk why they even bother with carbon and full suspension their so far behind everybody else technology wise. The boutique guys like intense are building small controlled runs. Others who are building over seas and would rather make money by keeping production lean then lose money begging a mail order to buy it at their cost. You want to know your bike has a high resale value when its time for another one don't you? I've all ready picked my 650 bike but I am still looking forward to this shootout!

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsmed View Post
    I've never had a problem demo'ing RM's around here. I am guessing they are just being a bit cautious with their first ever 650b bike.
    Maybe so. I won't name names but will give a broad hint by saying that the Ketchum ID Scott/ RM dealer told me they will have Genius models in 27.5" but no RM Altitudes in the tweener size this spring. Scott USA headquarters are here so I suppose that makes sense for Scott.

On paper to me the Altitude 790 MSL sounds just a tad sweeter than the Genius 700 SL - very similar bikes. At that price point, though, I and most consumers would insist on a demo before buying anything. If RM believes in their bike, they should send some here to compete head to head with their closest competition in a town where people have the coin to buy them.

mtbr member
    I dont know if anybody saw or not but pinkbike did a review on RM 650b Altitude and had nothing, but good to say.I like the RM from what I have read online but dont want that much travel. I dont have the options where I live to buy any other brand they only sell 6 brands in the town between two bike shops, and the next town is 3 hours away to far for me especially if I need warrenty work. Futhermore, hopfully the RM rides as good as it looks. I think its the best looking bike in the shootout and I,m sure it will show up soon for the shootout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Photo session highlight!

Mtbr 650b Round Up | Facebook
    So this Norco is a Sight Killer B with 160mm fork? What about a Range instead, wasn't it available for test?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Maybe so. I won't name names but will give a broad hint by saying that the Ketchum ID Scott/ RM dealer told me they will have Genius models in 27.5" but no RM Altitudes in the tweener size this spring. Scott USA headquarters are here so I suppose that makes sense for Scott.

On paper to me the Altitude 790 MSL sounds just a tad sweeter than the Genius 700 SL - very similar bikes. At that price point, though, I and most consumers would insist on a demo before buying anything. If RM believes in their bike, they should send some here to compete head to head with their closest competition in a town where people have the coin to buy them.
    I agree, I am in the market for a either a 750 or Tracer275, and at these prices I would only demo before buying. We have 4 or 5 RM dealers in my state and from what I understand most of them will be getting the 750 in. Only 1 Intense dealer and they do not keep a demo Carbine or Tracer275

swag ho Administrator
    We are targeting the shootout release forJan. 15.

The first of seven videos is here. Check it out and comment please.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Intense Tracer 27.5 available online from Jenson. Burners from Turners site. Zeus from Ventana.

Given the non-existence of Geniuses and the scarcity of Alititudes, I will very likely go for an easily obtainable bike online.

Is Norco for sale online?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=francois;10057228]We are targeting the shootout release forJan. 15.

The first of seven videos is here. Check it out and comment please.

I donít want to be overly critical, but all the information in this video is for 99% visitors of this threat very well known.
    The camera work is also terrible, why not to just make a static video? There is just too much of shaking and moving going on.
    I am looking forward to see the actual review.

swag ho Administrator
    Part deux

mtbr member

Good job!

I liked that last video keep up the great work MTBR !

Thumbsup

mtbr member

Nice

Great vids!!!

Really liking the Foes F275 from what you've said already!

Looking forward to more and detailed reviews of all the bikes in the roundup. Great Job!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the videos. Can't wait to see the rest.

Big Gooner
    Dec 2010
    very cool, nice overview, looking forward to detailed videos on each bike. The future is bright

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So what is the skinny on the Jamis? I don't ever see reviews and what kind of seems like negative chatter on this thread (maybe?). I have been riding a 2012 650B for 4 months now and have been loving it. Seemed affordable and upgraded on the cheap so I'm an XTR/SLX mix with Stan's wheel set, some other nice stuff (bars, seat post) and I'm rolling 29 lbs. for about $2500.00. My problem now is that I want the 2013. Am I just wasted on the 650-Aid?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattack View Post
    So what is the skinny on the Jamis? I don't ever see reviews and what kind of seems like negative chatter on this thread (maybe?). I have been riding a 2012 650B for 4 months now and have been loving it. Seemed affordable and upgraded on the cheap so I'm an XTR/SLX mix with Stan's wheel set, some other nice stuff (bars, seat post) and I'm rolling 29 lbs. for about $2500.00. My problem now is that I want the 2013. Am I just wasted on the 650-Aid?
    The reviews I've seen are few I agree (2011/2012) but have been good to excellent overall. I really haven't sensed any real negative banter about the Jamis and in fact people seem to recommend them here in this forum. However, I do think some still feel Jamis is a 2nd tier brand vs. the big 4 or the smaller boutique brands and are not willing to pay the same premium prices for a current model year bike and instead wait for the leftovers and closeouts. I guess I kinda did that with my 2011 B2 (bought spring 2012) but that was more an impulse buy after reading the stellar review on the B2 and the fact I was struggling in certain conditions with my converted Prophet. And yes, the Jamis is a big improvement in about every regard and really opened my eyes to a modern 650B bikes ability, and it's a wonderful and fun trail bike.....although you may also notice in my sig it's for sale with but maybe 250 miles on it. (FWIW my road bike is a 2010 Jamis Xenith Endura and I just love the thing). Like perhaps other new potential 650 buyers and most of these bikes in the shootout I'm looking for more travel than the Dakar's 130mm, a slacker HA than 69 degrees and a higher BB than 13.4" to lessen pedal strikes (the need for a higher BB is New England conditions related and is mostly cured by tall 2.35" Schwalbe NN tires). Overall it's really a sweet bike and I'll be very curious to see how it stacks up to the new breed of 140-160mm AM bikes (although it's really in a different category). I think for 2013 Jamis should have offered a 150mm "B" bike vs slightly updating the current Dakar. Probably 2014 we will see that along with a flood of new entries from other manufacturers looking for a slice of the 650B pie.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thx SkiDad. I am so in love with this wheel size that I am about to put a deposit on a new Scott Genius. My only worry is that I won't love the ride as much as the Jamis! What are you selling yours for? I want $1900 for mine but think that may be too steep?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattack View Post
    Thx SkiDad. I am so in love with this wheel size that I am about to put a deposit on a new Scott Genius. My only worry is that I won't love the ride as much as the Jamis! What are you selling yours for? I want $1900 for mine but think that may be too steep?
    Paid Spam 2011 Jamis Dakar 650 B2 - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    So this Norco is a Sight Killer B with 160mm fork? What about a Range instead, wasn't it available for test?
    I'll be looking at a Range One starting in around March but don't have the capacity or time for explicit comparison tests. Will check in then.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    francois,

For bike reviews, especially when discussing components or geometry, you may just want to do still or slow panning shots of the bikes with no sound, and do the vocals later on inside. The background noise was distracting. In fact, for most of the video, even riding sections, we dont need to hear on camera audio really at all.

I love MTBR, and want to see its Pro-Review section grow, but we'll need quality video reviews to compete with some of the competition.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Photo session highlight!

Mtbr 650b Round Up | Facebook
    Does this mean you're reviewing the Sight with the Fox fork @160mm and not the stock RS Rev? The BB height and weight shown are with the Fox? Why not the stock fork?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Has anyone tried a 650B wheels on a 29r?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by pidru View Post
    Has anyone tried a 650B wheels on a 29r?
    its a dumb idea... unless you're trying to build a fat tire cross bike using a 29er frameset and wanted to lower the BB further.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast