mtbr member
    Oct 2013

27.5 - 650b Puncture and/or thorn proof tubes

Can anyone recommend a brand of puncture and or thorn proof tube for 27.5 MTB?

Please recommend something you are using and that you are happy with.

Jake

mtbr member
    Hey Jake,
    I suspect you probably won't get much response with any direct experience from anybody because puncture resistant tubes are such a buzzkill anytime performance is a priority, and most of the activity in this thread is surrounding pretty high end bikes since that's about all that's been available in 650b, and so all the focus is on performance, not commuter reliability, low hassles, etc.
    Setting up a good set of tires to run tubeless with a liquid tire sealant is the way to go. It will be MUCH lighter than with a slime tube or the like, it will conform to the trail surface better, providing better cushion, traction, and rolling resistance, and it will seal almost any typical thorn puncture really well, usually instantly, without you even being aware.
    There's a little bit of a learning curve involved, sometimes a little mess to deal with, but it's worth the trouble.....it's a game changer in terms of being super effective at flat prevention while also improving performance. You can have lighter, and faster, and grippier, and do away with annoying punctures. Stan's sealant (notubes.com) is the industry benchmark, and there are many other brands now, plus a very active homebrew sealant scene if you're into DIY and want to save some money...Best Tubeless Brew?.
    You'll need to have tubeless ready rims, or make "ghetto" rim stips by cutting open a tube to lay down in the rim before the tire goes on, or perhaps buy some of Stan's rubber rim strips for converting rims that aren't tubeless friendly. Some tires are "tubeless ready" also, while many other standard tube-type tires have proven to work perfectly well when matched to a good rim and liquid sealant.
    As far as inner tubes go, you can just use standard 26" tubes in 650b tires...there's not enough of a difference in size to matter.... and so, obviously, you could get Slime, Specialized, or some other brand of puncture resistant innertubes in a 26" size and they'll work fine if you decide to go for convenience and accept the performance hit you'll take vs a tubeless setup.
    If you already know all this and I sound like a condescending douche, my apologies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    For now I think I will go with the 26" thorn proof tubes. While my bike is set up to be tubeless, There are still some things I would need to learn before I take the plunge.

thanks for the tubeless info.

J

mtbr member
    26" thorn proof tubes would be an option. You could also put a small amount of tubeless sealant inside your 650b tubes. I've been running this for the past 6 months or so and it's great. It's clean, simple and the tubeless sealant will plug up small holes. You don't need much sealant because you don't have to seal any beads or create and air-tight lining like a truly tubeless setup. While you won't get the riding/handling benefits of a tubeless setup, you will get the puncture protection that tubeless gives.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey Jake View Post
    For now I think I will go with the 26" thorn proof tubes. While my bike is set up to be tubeless, There are still some things I would need to learn before I take the plunge.

thanks for the tubeless info.

J
    I would suggest bringing it to a reputable bike shop, hand them a fistful of cash, and they will convert everything over to tubeless. I have been tubeless for 8yrs now, and it is one of the better advancements in the recent years of the sport. Tubes are for cavemen and emergencies
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member

27.5 - 650b Puncture and/or thorn proof tubes

Run tubeless with Stan's. Stan's will fill the thorns hole without losing any air.