Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 27.5 ? 650?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RipRoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,391

    27.5 ? 650?

    Whats the difference 27.5 or 650 ? Whats Dave mean here?

    See video @ 2:13



  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,090
    I have no idea what the point is that he's failing to make there, but there is no difference between 27.5" and 650b tires... 27.5 is just a new name being applied.
    Maybe that's his shot at trying to put to rest the debate about what name the industry should standardize on???? just guessing.

  3. #3
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    732
    The simple Effect of trying to give a fancy cool new Name (27.5) to something that is already established for some Decades = 650B

  4. #4
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,024

    27.5 ? 650?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    The simple Effect of trying to give a fancy cool new Name (27.5) to something that is already established for some Decades = 650B
    Not fancy cool, but just consistent with existing imperial nomenclature for the two other mtb wheel sizes: 26" and 29". Those could have had metric names too, e.g. 29" is the same as 700c. But that is a roadie name and not so appealing marketing mtbs.

    I believe that when Pacenti first began his project to re-introduce the tweener wheel size to the mtn bike market, he preferred 27.5 as the name for that consistency, but settled on the established 650b name to appeal to Euros, who were slow to adopt 29". Remember a euro mtn bike team, ScottSwisspower, was the first to race on 650b wheels.

    Now us dumb ass Mercuns are confused with the different names for the same thing. "27.5", I would speculate, is for marketing to Murcuns who are used to Imperial numbers, and can easily see that this wheel is in between the other two (though for more confusion, is not exactly half way as the name implies, because so called 26" wheels really measure closer to 26 3/8" or 26 1/2").

    Suffice it to say that 650b and 27.5" are completely interchangeable in the mtb world.

    Clear as mud.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RipRoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I have no idea what the point is that he's failing to make there, but there is no difference between 27.5" and 650b tires... 27.5 is just a new name being applied.
    Maybe that's his shot at trying to put to rest the debate about what name the industry should standardize on???? just guessing.
    Yes you must be correct. From everything I've read I knew there was no difference dimensionally but after watching that video I wasn't sure what the heck he meant....

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,090
    Can probably chock Dave's jibberish up to it being too early in the morning in Vegas.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chad_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    146
    Too much sun? It seems like he is speaking to novices that the outside tire diameter of a 27.5" is a lot more than a typical 650mm tire.

  8. #8
    locked - time out
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    Too much sun? It seems like he is speaking to novices that the outside tire diameter of a 27.5" is a lot more than a typical 650mm tire.
    He's being a bit tongue-in-cheek. But he's also pointing out that the OD including the tire is much closer to 27.5" than it is 650mm.

  9. #9
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,024

    27.5 ? 650?

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    He's being a bit tongue-in-cheek. But he's also pointing out that the OD including the tire is much closer to 27.5" than it is 650mm.
    Well, there are 4 of them in my quiver from 2.1- 2.3 wide and they all measure 27.5"in diameter. 650mm in inches is about 26.6", another wheel size?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  10. #10
    locked - time out
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,228
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Well, there are 4 of them in my quiver from 2.1- 2.3 wide and they all measure 27.5"in diameter. 650mm in inches is about 26.6", another wheel size?
    your math no good. 650 divided by 25.4 equals 25.59. OTOH, the measured diameter of the wheel in the video is 700mm - divided by 25.4 = 27.5.

    Seems to me Mr Turner understands math.

  11. #11
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,024

    27.5 ? 650?

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    your math no good. 650 divided by 25.4 equals 25.59. OTOH, the measured diameter of the wheel in the video is 700mm - divided by 25.4 = 27.5.

    Seems to me Mr Turner understands math.
    Actually, my math is fine. It's my typing skills on an iPhone which suck. 650mm = 25.59" is correct and corresponds to no actual wheel diameter ( with tires mounted) I know of. It's common knowledge that so called 26" wheels generally measure closer to 26.25" even 26.5" (go measure some and verify). 29" generally holds in practice, as does 27.5" This is the real reason why anybody who insists that 650b/27.5" wheels are exactly half way between 26" and 29", are wrong, even though simple arithmetic based on the accepted "names" of the wheels, would suggest it. Since the diameter measurements include non-uniform tires mounted, getting a true handle on the wheel sizes in actual use is not an exact science. It seems safe to say that 27.5" wheels, in fact, are closer to 26" than 29". Which I suppose explains why many riders who switch either from 26" OR 29" to 27.5" say "Meh". The "best of both worlds" people (that would be me) are simply enjoying 26'ers on steroids, a tad better roll, a tad less flickable, a tad overgeared with gears designed for 26'ers. No dramatic differences requiring major rider adjustment like 29"bikes.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •