mtbr member

26 wheels on new 650b/27 frames?

Any reason why you couldn't run 26 wheels on new 650/27 frames?
    I realize it's not ideal but if I want to switch over all my components to a new frame is there any reason not to?
    I'd like to get a new frame -- I have a Yeti ASR 5C now -- but don't want to buy a 26. I feel it's basically buying something that will soon be obsolete and hard to sell in a couple years.
    The new Ibis 650B HDR -- according to Ibis and their website -- can be run as is with 26 wheels.
    Makes me curious about other frames -- the new Knolly Warden is very appealing.
    Obviously head tube angle would be steeper, but nothing a -1 degree Works Components or CC Angleset couldn't fix.
    BB height seems to be the big one, but with big, fat 2.4 Continental TK tires I think I can live with a BB in the low 13" range for a year or so.
    Then down the road a bit buy some 650B/27 wheels and fork and be done with it.
    Is this crazy? Am I missing something?

NedwannaB
    Seems like you want to stay carbon, but since you mentioned the Knolly have you looked at the stats on the new 27.5 Yetis?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The only things that would have a real effect on how the bike rides be what you mentioned, (HA and BB height) and wheelbase. if you can deal with the geometry changes or have workarounds to get things to where you want them i see no reason not to do it. I'm in the same boat and thinking about doing exactly what you are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Seems like you want to stay carbon, but since you mentioned the Knolly have you looked at the stats on the new 27.5 Yetis?
    I have but not crazy about the nearly 8 pound frame. The Warden -- not carbon -- looks like it could be a real winner with the CCDB shock.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Head angle is not gonna change with a different wheel size (unless you go 650b up front and 26 rear). BB will be lower by approx. 1/2" with 26" wheels. Should be doable if you want. Also have a look at the Banshee Spitfire V2 or an Intense carbine which have dropouts for each wheel size but the Banshee's is much more adjustable. Rocky Altitude has the Ride 9 adjustable geometry which plays around with BB height and HA.

mtbr member

My friend dropped her 650B SC Bronson off with me so I could install a Reverb for her. I took the opportunity to compare her stock wheels [Maxis High Roller II 2.3"] vs. my 26er Conti Trail Kings in 2.4"

The difference in height is about 10mm without getting too anal about measuring accuracy.

I also found that I could run her wheel in my Fox Float 36.

The rear end in my SC Nomad is maxed out with the 26 x 2.4" tire so no way a 650B tire of any useful size will fit.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    A good plan it seems. The trail change and contact patch will quicken the feel.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion