mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Which 26" tire size and model best matches height of the average 650B wheel and tire?

Which 26" tire mounted on a 26" wheel would come closest to matching the overall height of the 650B wheel/tire such as a Racing Ralph 2.25 or a Neo-moto 2.3? (Also, which 650B tire is taller? Neo-Moto 2.3 or RR 2.25?

Has anybody put a 650B on the front of their bike and deliberately mounted a 26" rear tire large enough to minimize the difference in wheel sizes? What tire did you use?
    Last edited by morkys; 10-03-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Dissolved member
    Get the biggest one you can find but I do not think you can get one as big as a 650b NeoMoto. It is going to weight a ton though. IIRC NeoMoto is very slightly taller than RR but not by much.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Everyone who has seen my Purgatory 2.4 thinks its a 650b. Specialized isn't making them in that size anymore so you can get them at a discount while they still have them in stock.

My fork will except 650b so I might try going B6 some time in the future.

Dissolved member

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ok, I will look for that tire and check that link. I wanted to compare heights of tires to either go 650B front bc my forks work with it, or use the largest 26" tires I can both front and back within reason and depending on the quality of the tire etc. I tried 650B and a rear wheel doesn't fit my frame. Also thinking of swapping the frame but no idea how well I could get that to work. With all the work it may be better to just get a 650B bike, try larger tires, or try a larger tire rear and 650B front.

mtbr member
    Trail King/Rubber Quenn 2.4 is pretty big

74 & 29 pilot
    You're never gonna find a 26" tire that will make up the difference in wheel size. I ran a 650b Flow and Nevegal 2.35 on the front of my Firebird for a while and liked it well enough that I'm going for a full 650/27.5 frame now; Wish my Bird was carbon and a 27.5 frame There is plenty of benefit to running 650b front and 26' rear without running the highest volume tire you can find.

Don't know if this will help, but I took a couple of pics to compare my 650b Flow w Nevegal 2.35 and 26' Haven with a Specialized Purgatory 2.4. They are both fronts, but the purgatory has more use and wear. Both are standing upright at the same minimal angle and pictures taken as level as I could. You can compare to the lines on the Pivot box; sorry for crappy pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which 26" tire size and model best matches height of the average 650B wheel and tire?-img_1727.jpg  

Which 26" tire size and model best matches height of the average 650B wheel and tire?-img_1729.jpg  

Which 26" tire size and model best matches height of the average 650B wheel and tire?-img_1730.jpg  

Which 26" tire size and model best matches height of the average 650B wheel and tire?-img_1732.jpg  

Which 26" tire size and model best matches height of the average 650B wheel and tire?-img_1737.jpg  

Which 26" tire size and model best matches height of the average 650B wheel and tire?-img_1738.jpg  

Last edited by MTB Pilot; 10-03-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    QED. Yet again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i think 2.4 trail kings( rq's) are 685 and 2.3 neo moto's are 704. the larger mega moto tyres coming from pacenti are 712.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I bet if that front 650B nevegal was a 2.1 or a RR 2.25 the difference would be less...but I guess not a whole lot less.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    You're never gonna find a 26" tire that will make up the difference in wheel size. I ran a 650b Flow and Nevegal 2.35 on the front of my Firebird for a while and liked it well enough that I'm going for a full 650/27.5 frame now; Wish my Bird was carbon and a 27.5 frame There is plenty of benefit to running 650b front and 26' rear without running the highest volume tire you can find.

Don't know if this will help, but I took a couple of pics to compare my 650b Flow w Nevegal 2.35 and 26' Haven with a Specialized Purgatory 2.4. They are both fronts, but the purgatory has more use and wear. Both are standing upright at the same minimal angle and pictures taken as level as I could. You can compare to the lines on the Pivot box; sorry for crappy pics.
    Awesome contribution to MTBR, thanks!

Your pics have motivated me even more to go B6 when the time comes. I like the 26" on the rear but I'm "very" open to a B front.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I dunno, I run 2.6's and 2.7's that are pretty damn up there. Definitely 700.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I dunno, I run 2.6's and 2.7's that are pretty damn up there. Definitely 700.
    What tires are those 2.6 and 2.7's?

...and actually, I don't necessarily need the largest tires. Bigger but taller tires is actually a more useful but I figure most tire profiles are essentially similarly round. If their is a bigger tire out there that is also taller than it is wider, that may be what I'm looking for. Not necessarily the absolute largest tire I can find, as that probably won't fit anyways, but just something to reduce the difference between my rear wheel and tire, if I in fact put a 650B on the front.
    Last edited by morkys; 10-04-2012 at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    @ MTB Pilot

What is the rolling resistance of the Specialized Purgatory 2.4? Is it the same, better or worse than a 2.35 Nevegal?

74 & 29 pilot
    Purgatory is just a little bit better I think. I don't mind the Nevegal and don't find much issue with it.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    here i go again sounding like a broken record.....

where is there a rule that says the tires need to be the same or close as possible size?

in fact, in the offroad motorcycle world quite the opposite is true, most offroad and dual sport motorbikes have had a slightly larger front wheel for three decades, they figured it out a loooong time ago.

try out a 650b front wheel/tire in your tread preference, and leave the back alone for at least a ride or three and see if it suits you. you already know and like your rear tire, why change it???

and besides, if you can't fit a 650b rear, what makes you think a 26 equivalent (2.6-2.7 size ) is going to fit, and besides the HUGE increase in rotational weight....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    here i go again sounding like a broken record.....

where is there a rule that says the tires need to be the same or close as possible size?

in fact, in the offroad motorcycle world quite the opposite is true, most offroad and dual sport motorbikes have had a slightly larger front wheel for three decades, they figured it out a loooong time ago.
    Motorcycles are designed with a larger front wheel and the overall geometry is built around the chosen wheel sizes. I like my bikes head angle (70 deg) and slackening it will not be what I want.

try out a 650b front wheel/tire in your tread preference, and leave the back alone for at least a ride or three and see if it suits you. you already know and like your rear tire, why change it???
    I don't love my rear tire, it's a nevegal 2.1 and it's good off road but I notice it does feel slow in some sections and on pavement.

and besides, if you can't fit a 650b rear, what makes you think a 26 equivalent (2.6-2.7 size ) is going to fit, and besides the HUGE increase in rotational weight....
    I am no longer trying to come as close as possible to matching my 26" wheel with the 650B, and I never wanted a 2.6 or 2.7 as they definitely would not fit on my bike anyways, I simply want to either have identical tire designs, and/or a slightly larger rear tire. I have noticed that my rear wheel can get hung up on the trail, so a slightly bigger tire won't hurt.

I will try the front wheel as is first, but just to give you an idea of where I plan to end up with wheels and tires, it's really not extreme.

Option one is a 2.25 front tire on a 650B wheel and a 2.25 rear tire on 26" of either Ra Ra or NN.
    Option two is a 2.25 front 650B Ra Ra or NN or Neo Moto and a 2.35 or 2.4 NN on the 26" rear.

Or some other similar combination of either identical 2.25 or 2.3 tires for each wheel size, or one 2.25 or 2.3 for the front and a slightly larger tire for the rear. Racing Ralph doesn't come any larger than 2.25 in 26". If I wanted a slightly larger tire than my front, I could pair up a 2.35 or 2.4 Nobby Nic or Rocket Ron, or even a Hans Dampf...but the Hans Dampf isn't necessary in my riding.

I have looked at the measurements and the differences aren't extreme. Option three is later on, trying a 650B rear wheel again, but with a 2.1 tire, since the 2.25 Ra Ra did not "fit". It actually fit on the bike and even spun freely, but there was no clearance at all so even flex would likely cause rubbing. Who knows though, a smaller 650B could work, so that I can try later. So yeah, I won't try to fit the absolute largest rear tire, but if I wanted a slightly larger rear, the 2.35 Nobby Nic is les than 600 g and very low rolling resistance, so that's not a bad choice. Even the 2.4 is only 650 g.

I am going to a bicycle show in TO this weekend, so hopefully I will find a 650B front wheel and some tires. Rear shock bushings and fork adjustments I will leave until later.
    Last edited by morkys; 10-09-2012 at 10:51 AM.