mtbr member

26" sus fork and 29er wheel?

I'm looking to 96er a 2008 epic frameset (non Future shock frame). I wonder if any of you have used any 26" suspension forks that had enough room to put a 29er wheel/tire in it? I'd like to keep the geomtery in check as much as I can..........thanks!

NedwannaB

Not sure it's posssible....

Quote Originally Posted by mtbyker
    26" suspension forks that had enough room to put a 29er wheel/tire in it?
    ......only a few 26" forks will fit a 650 wheel (not recomended though), let alone a 29er. Search the forum you'll find Epics with 650 fronts. Putting a 29" specific fork on would throw the geo out more then you'd want.

mtbr member
    I remember seeing a 700c disc wheel with a cx tire on a bike with a Manitou fork a few years ago. It seems like there might have been a Fox as well but not sure. I wonder if a Lefty would work? Can you imagine a Lefty fork on a Spesh Epic ??

NedwannaB

Maybe.......

I remember seeing a 700c disc wheel with a cx tire on a bike with a Manitou fork a few years ago. It seems like there might have been a Fox as well but not sure.
    ....this set up? I had this wheelset on my white Motobecane before, maybe that was the pic you saw. There's no room for a 29'r in the Fox series, fits a 650 but will scrub and may cause carnage if air gives out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nothing relevant to say
    X-Fusion said they have gotten a Kenda SB8 into the Velvet. Be careful, dangerous waters!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm looking to 96er a 2008 epic frameset (non Future shock frame). I wonder if any of you have used any 26" suspension forks that had enough room to put a 29er wheel/tire in it? I'd like to keep the geomtery in check as much as I can..........thanks!
    if you want to run a 'regular' 29" tire likesay a 2.1 or even 2.3 you'll need a 29er fork. otherwise, the only 26" fork that would be possible to use would be a maverick duc32/sc32 w/29er conversion spacer (essentially making it a 29er anyways).

i'd say if you're fine with 80mm travel, try out a RS reba 29er 80mm-spaced fork. it shouldn't change up the geometry enough to be really really noticeable.

i'd also really 2nd what someone already mentioned above, try out a 650b for about as tall a tire you can fit in most higher-end 26" forks made within the past 5 years. it's not 69er sized differences between the tires, but it IS a difference.

either way, whatever you try out, before you go riding it, make sure to bottom the fork fully by letting all the air, or removing the coil spring to be sure there is suitable clearance for the crown and arch, which is usually 1/4" or so minimum...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I remember seeing a 700c disc wheel with a cx tire on a bike with a Manitou fork a few years ago. It seems like there might have been a Fox as well but not sure. I wonder if a Lefty would work? Can you imagine a Lefty fork on a Spesh Epic ??
    wasn't there a company making 1-1/8 steer tubes for lefties to be run on regular bikes??

Bearded highlighter
    Jun 2008
    I have run a 700C rim with a 28mm tire on a Spinner Edge 4, fork from a 2007 Diamondback Response, a 32mm rubbed though and both were slicks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi everybody! One stupid question, can I use a 29er fork for a 26" mtb.

Thanks.

nothing relevant to say
    yes, but the axle to crown length may be excessive. A 80mm travel 29er fork is close to a 130mm travel 26" fork. SO, you would be getting less travel on a similar a-c length fork.
    Why would you be doing this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by amlc
    Hi everybody! One stupid question, can I use a 29er fork for a 26" mtb.

Thanks.
    I have a reba race 29er fork on a 26 inch xc hard tail built for a 80 - 100 mm fork.I switch between 26 and 29 inch front wheels.Both work well.I like the slower handling 29er on most rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    yes, but the axle to crown length may be excessive. A 80mm travel 29er fork is close to a 130mm travel 26" fork. SO, you would be getting less travel on a similar a-c length fork.
    Why would you be doing this?
    Forgive me for kinda stating the obvious,it allows you to change your wheel size.

Changing the front wheel size really changes how your bike handles and rides.

I see a real good market for front suspension forks that are designed to use 26er thru 29er wheels.

Frames and rear wheel sizes also need to allow the rider to tune his rear wheel size.Sliding dropouts pretty much solve the rear wheel 26er thru 29er fit problem.

I think the bike design industry is still thinking about rim brakes.
    The disc changed everything about wheel sizes

TNC
    noMAD man

One potential problem.

Quote Originally Posted by FiftyPlus
    Forgive me for kinda stating the obvious,it allows you to change your wheel size.

Changing the front wheel size really changes how your bike handles and rides.

I see a real good market for front suspension forks that are designed to use 26er thru 29er wheels.

Frames and rear wheel sizes also need to allow the rider to tune his rear wheel size.Sliding dropouts pretty much solve the rear wheel 26er thru 29er fit problem.

I think the bike design industry is still thinking about rim brakes.
    The disc changed everything about wheel sizes
    While I would agree that forks designed to be manipulated for 26, 650B, and 29 wheels sounds intriguing, I can see big fork companies fearing user failure resulting in tires hitting the bottom of the crown and causing injury and big lawsuits. I hate crap like that, but it's the world we live in here in the U.S. Some pinhead runs his 29" wheel without properly adjusting his fork from the 26" or 650B position, and he gets hammered in a bottomout. Yeah, he should have known, but lawyers and courts seldom apply logic to their agenda. Most big fork companies are terrified of users even running 650B in a 26" fork when it's very clear there's enough clearance...and those forks were NEVER suggested for such use by the company. Maverick openly allows such use in their DUC32, but they're a small company. I'd love to see some adjustability like you suggest in future forks.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    While I would agree that forks designed to be manipulated for 26, 650B, and 29 wheels sounds intriguing, I can see big fork companies fearing user failure resulting in tires hitting the bottom of the crown and causing injury and big lawsuits. I hate crap like that, but it's the world we live in here in the U.S. Some pinhead runs his 29" wheel without properly adjusting his fork from the 26" or 650B position, and he gets hammered in a bottomout. Yeah, he should have known, but lawyers and courts seldom apply logic to their agenda. Most big fork companies are terrified of users even running 650B in a 26" fork when it's very clear there's enough clearance...and those forks were NEVER suggested for such use by the company. Maverick openly allows such use in their DUC32, but they're a small company. I'd love to see some adjustability like you suggest in future forks.

an adjustable fork would be great...some sort of version of travel adjust, without actually changing the travel just changing the A2C. maybe back to the old school bolt-on arch with a couple different mounting locations to keep the fork as stiff as possible?

for those asking, it is NOT possible to safely put a 29er tire (a REAL tire) into any 26er fork. i have an old marz with an aftermarket bolt-on arch, made for true 26x3.0" tires to fit. a 29er nanoraptor almost fits...but not quite.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?