mtbr member
    Apr 2005

26 conversion or 27.5 Chinese carbon

I bought a IF 26inch steel frame to convert to a 27.5 650b bike. I love 29ers but thought I would try a 650 for the local trails which are twisty turny quick up and downs. I vaguely remember feeling that the 26in accelerated more quickly than my 26ers but I loved having the bigger 29 wheel to roll over stuff. I have two carbon 29ers (stumpjumper/Air9 carbon) with high end parts. I had planned to build the Ind fab but am having second thoughts because I would need to add disc tabs to the frame and I feel I would not have a good comparison with the 29ers.

So with all the information I am just overloaded and want to hear some opinions. Do I buy a carbon 26inch (On-one whippet or 456...........or do I buy one of the many ebay Chinese 27.5 frames{which one?}

I have many parts for the build so plan it to be a fun project. I need frame, wheels, and maybe a fork. I have a fox rlt 80mm 26in but could always sell to buy a 27.5.

Please note...I will be selling the independent fabrications frame so I need to buy a frame. Main question is do I buy a 26 ON-one to convert or a 27.5?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    The on one is like 300grams plus heavier than a Chinese frame form what I can gather. Hong flu has a 950gram frame available now so that would knock it down another 300 grams from the on one. I'm gonna buy a Chinese frame to build.

Uncle
    If you're on the East Coast have the common regional concern for a high bottom bracket, then the Whippet will work well. If you do not NEED a high bottom bracket, skip the whippet frame. It's a good deal, and will fit the tire, but it will be a quick handling bike with a HIGH bottom bracket. As well, the Whippet is a RACE frame, meaning it is not just a quick steering bike, but it has a short head tube length, which means that the controls will likely be either super low, or require lots of rise in the bar AND spacers under the stem, just to get a more comfortable cockpit set up. Quick steering and low controls are great if you're prime job is hammering out KOM climbs, but isn't very good for much else. If you have shorter than average legs (relative to your height), this will be less of a concern since you won't run your seat as high as others do.

Does that mean buy an Ebay carbon frame? Well, if that's the only other option you're considering, then yes - yes it does. That said, I think there are better build options out there than both of these frames. If your dead set on a carbon hard tail, then aren't many other options... yet. But if you're just hoping to try something other than a 29er on your local twisty trails, then open your options up to alloy and you'll have many many more.

On a budget, find a 2005-2006 Rockhopper or Novara Ponderosa: Sexy-factor of -12, yes. But lots of 650b clearance along with a stupid low BB. You can probably get either frame used for under $250 and it will work just fine, especially with a 120mm fork. Want new? Find your local Kona dealer and see about getting a 2014 Cinder Cone: 69* HTA (better than either of the carbon bikes you mentioned) and plenty of tire clearance; likely need to pay now and then wait until Sept to get it, but it should be a great frame.

my 2cents
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.