Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2014 Trek Slash / Remedy

Spent several hours yesterday at a local Trek demo at Blanket's Creek here in the Atlanta area riding a 2014 27.5 Remedy and Slash. This was to be my first time on a 27.5 and first time on a bike with travel longer than 120mm

My gut told me that the Remedy would be my bike considering what I like to ride. It was sweet, pedaled well, climbed OK. The Slash...I begrudgingly took it out and was absolutely floored!! It pedaled better, rode better, climbed better, fit better - overall, could not have been more surprised by the overall abilities of a 160mm trail bike - I felt like I could race it! It goaded me to do stupid stuff and I felt like I was on a rocket on the downhills. It flew beautifully also.

So, I'm sold on the 27.5. At 5'9", it just felt sooo right. Now to demo a new Kona Process, SC Bronson / Solo and a few others, but, I think I know what I'll end up with. If you get the chance to ride one of these bikes, give them a shot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was there as well and although I didn't ride the Slash I had a blast on the Remedy. The downhill sections were a ton more fun.

After finishing my ride and heading back I had wished I got on the Slash as there were quite a few people talking about that bike with the same impressions you had (might have spoke to you).

I will say this the Fuel 29er was a pleasant surprise as well as I thought that rode pretty sweet and didn't feel as "huge" as my current 29er.

This is my second weekend in a row at a demo (last week Pivot) and I have to agree that 650b is worth the hype it's getting. It really feels like the perfect size bike for me. Granted I am the same height as you so that very well may have something to do with it.

I am not a big Strava guy but I was not really pushing it and was just trying to figure out the bike and I was shocked at how fast I was going when I finished.

The Remedy is on my short list for now. Very curious to how those others you mentioned ride (Solo/Bronson, Process) so if you get on one please report back.

mtbr member
    Here's my take:

2004s 100mm of travel = 2013s 160mm of travel.

I used to get all kinds of people asking me why I would *ever* ride a 100mm travel bike at an xc or endurance race back then. Think about that...

160 275 is a dh bike, a race bike and a park bike, just change tires. I rode bike park/dh on 275 140 this year as well as 100-miler.

Bikes are, and continue to be, amazing. I rode the 26" Slash last year a bit dh and bike park and it was great. 275 would be better, for sure.

mk
    trailwerkssuspension.com

mtbr member
    I demoed a 18.5" 2014 remedy 27.5" as well last weekend, and agree, it was a great bike. Might change my next bike buying decision. No slash to try out. I'm 5' 10" for what its worth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any comments on the new Fox 34 vs. Pike vs. last year's 34?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Subscribed
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I appreciate 650b as the new 26er, but as a replacement of a 29er, no.
    The Slash looks great, but I would probably look at the Scott Genius LT 700 instead.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    Any comments on the new Fox 34 vs. Pike vs. last year's 34?
    General opinion seems to be pike > new 34 > old 34, lots of reviews and threads on the subject. I've got a 2013 Float 34 on my Bronson and have no issues with it. That being said, I'd love to swap it out for a Pike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I appreciate 650b as the new 26er, but as a replacement of a 29er, no.
    The Slash looks great, but I would probably look at the Scott Genius LT 700 instead.
    Why do you mean a replacement for a 29er? Both the Remedy and the Slash are historical 26 inch. bikes. I tried the Remedy in the 29 inch wheels and it was NO WAY anything I was interested in. A long travel 29er just does not seem right to me. Now as a XC race/shorter travel bike I think that is where it's at.

The Genius is definitely a nice bike but I can't find one to demo. I am curious to see their prices for the spec. I am telling you though, the Slash had a lot of people talking at this Demo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I'm going to subscribe to this thread....the 650b bikes are peking my interest! I want to add a FS bike back to the stable next season. I have a Lynskey Pro 29 that I love in the 29er wheel size, and a Moonlander that is just a blast....Just sold my Superfly 100 AL Elite...was a great bike, but I didn't love the suspension design. I'm more of a VPP or Fuel Suspension type, (I had an original Fuel 90 that I loved)

But I'm interested in hearing more, a lot more on any of these bikes I'm looking at:

Intense Carbine 27.5
    SC Solo
    SC Bronson
    Trek Remedy 27.5
    Trek Slash 27.5
    Trek Fuel EX 29er

One of those I will own next year....now I need some people who have demos near them, (We don't ever get anything good here) to help me out.

I'm 5'10/11 depending if I stretch or not lol....I'm more XC rider, I don't huck or go out of my way for drops and crazy stuff....but if it's on the trail I'll do it. I live in Western PA, so we have climbs, and I don't mind climbing. I like fast Flowy downhills....the more I can rail the better and the bigger the smile on my face.

So Please keep the posts coming, this is a great thread! Need More Info!!
    Climbing Builds Character

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Spent several hours yesterday at a local Trek demo at Blanket's Creek here in the Atlanta area riding a 2014 27.5 Remedy and Slash. This was to be my first time on a 27.5 and first time on a bike with travel longer than 120mm

My gut told me that the Remedy would be my bike considering what I like to ride. It was sweet, pedaled well, climbed OK. The Slash...I begrudgingly took it out and was absolutely floored!! It pedaled better, rode better, climbed better, fit better - overall, could not have been more surprised by the overall abilities of a 160mm trail bike - I felt like I could race it! It goaded me to do stupid stuff and I felt like I was on a rocket on the downhills. It flew beautifully also.

So, I'm sold on the 27.5. At 5'9", it just felt sooo right. Now to demo a new Kona Process, SC Bronson / Solo and a few others, but, I think I know what I'll end up with. If you get the chance to ride one of these bikes, give them a shot.
    Which specific Remedy and Slash models did you ride? Carbon or alu?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The Slash 9 and the remedy 9.8.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Baby Bear is in the house
    The Slash 9 and the remedy 9.8.

Thanks mate!
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone know when the 650b models ship to stores?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My store had a remedy 7 in yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My store had a remedy 7 in yesterday.

Nice! I ordered a Slash and am counting the hours til it gets here...but I don't know how many that will be. I've harassed the LBS enough about when it will be here, but still without any specifics other than "the first week in November". Fingers crossed for sooner now that I know at least a few Remedies have shipped. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm harassing my lbs for a remedy 9.7 in a 21.5. I got a Giant trance 3 a few months back and love 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was going to get the Remedy 27.5 but when I saw the slash and it was only a few hundred more, it was a no brainer. I just placed my order with my LBS for a Trek Slash 7 27.5. Come January The real fun should begin. No I need to sell sell sell things I don't need.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevan View Post
    I was going to get the Remedy 27.5 but when I saw the slash and it was only a few hundred more, it was a no brainer. I just placed my order with my LBS for a Trek Slash 7 27.5. Come January The real fun should begin. No I need to sell sell sell things I don't need.

Agreed. Going with a slash. They are avail now

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_m View Post
    Agreed. Going with a slash. They are avail now
    Available now!? Holy sh*t! Haha! I better call my LBS too see when mine will be in, I placed my order (Slash 8) in August and the wait has been torturous. I don't know if I'll survive another month or two!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevan View Post

Great call! I'm going to start selling stuff for a wheelset for mine! I'm thinking Industry Nine Enduro to

Bikes!
    Really interesting as I'm currently considering ordering a Slash 9 as my long travel/play bike, nice to know that they pedal better than the Remedy...

mtbr member
    would current Remedy/Slash riders recommend a 19.5" or 21.5" for a rider 6'2" (189cm) with a 34" inseam.

Seems like the Trek trail bikes run small, and 6'2" is a tweener.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Really interesting as I'm currently considering ordering a Slash 9 as my long travel/play bike, nice to know that they pedal better than the Remedy...
    JMO, but after two demo's of both these bikes I definitely wouldn't say the Slash pedal's better than the Remedy. It pedals extremely well for how much travel it has but IME the Remedy was noticeably better climber than the Slash. The first time around I thought the slash might have been but I think I was just so surprised how great it did pedal.

The second time (had more time on both bikes) I definitely noticed a difference. Obviously YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    would current Remedy/Slash riders recommend a 19.5" or 21.5" for a rider 6'2" (189cm) with a 34" inseam.

Seems like the Trek trail bikes run small, and 6'2" is a tweener.
    Don't know for 2014, but for older models, definitely 21.5".

As I wrote before, I ride Slash 2012 19,5" (L size), I'm 182cm and with 70mm stock stem I'm on the upper limit (and in some situations would say that I cross it). Top tube is short on the Slash.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast