mtbr member
    Dec 2013

2014 scott spark 710 27.5 or giant anthem 27.5 1

Hi Guys

I need serious advice. Did anybody tried 2014 Scott Spark 710 27.5?. It is a beautiful bike. I was offered one for 3880 $ out of the door . Looks like a crazy good price. Anthem 27.5 1 would be around 5000 $ out of the door with CA taxes.What do you think ?.Thanks for your input.

mtbr lurker
    The anthem has 100 mm travel whilst the spark has 120 mm and is a little slacker, both will be awesome. They are similar in spec, XT, thru axles, pfBB and tapered fork though the giant is using a larger standard. Both wheelsets are tubeless ready and use DT internals. The only thing I don't like about the scott is the twinloc, I'm sure some people love it but I think six cables/hoses on the front of a bike is a bit cluttered. For the money I'd go with the scott, if they were the same price I'd be on the Giant for how XC my local trails are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Drew69 thanks for the input , it sounds to me , if money is no issue, nothing beat giant anthem 27.5 for XC right now . On the other side is not too much to compare, probably 2015 bring much more choices and headaches what to pick.Thanks one more time.

mtbr member
    I would pick the Scott for sure, XT, good shock and fork. good deal!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    These are the two bikes I'm most interested in. Anyone know the out-of-the box weight of the Anthem 27.5 1?

The best price I've seen to date for the Scott is $4500.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My concern with Scott is that this model is the third year is production even if 27.5 is new. Giant anthem 27.5 is totally new model and it do does not share anything with 29-er. Currently I bought 2013 Specialized Epic and with extra investment it came around 6000$. Two month later they introduced totally re-designed Epic.So with this experience i became much more cautious ,before spending money on the new bike. I love my Epic but 29-er it is very limited . It is very fast if you are able to keep momentum
    but if you slow down it become a mule. I can understand while XC racers using 29-er , they can keep momentum because they do not share trail with hikers, dog walkers and horses. I think that that 27.5 is much more universal size of wheels and while tested giant anthem 27.5 i really liked.It had a little mechanical-industrial feel but I was explained in the shop that is because wheel size which give much more feedback from the trail. Scott is tempting. It is really beautiful bike and it looked much better in the shop than on the pics. Plus 24.42 lb bike with 120mm travel that is really light. Anthem out of the box is slightly over 25 lb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Subscribing to this thread as I am considering the exact same two bikes.
    Wish I could find $3800 here in SoFlo. That's a smoking deal!

I'm currently on a 2009 Giant Anthem XO which I love, but I've got an itch for the 27.5 wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
    Anthem out of the box is slightly over 25 lb.
    Thanks for this. Tough decision......

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
    My concern with Scott is that this model is the third year is production even if 27.5 is new. Giant anthem 27.5 is totally new model and it do does not share anything with 29-er. Currently I bought 2013 Specialized Epic and with extra investment it came around 6000$. Two month later they introduced totally re-designed Epic.So with this experience i became much more cautious ,before spending money on the new bike. I love my Epic but 29-er it is very limited . It is very fast if you are able to keep momentum
    but if you slow down it become a mule. I can understand while XC racers using 29-er , they can keep momentum because they do not share trail with hikers, dog walkers and horses. I think that that 27.5 is much more universal size of wheels and while tested giant anthem 27.5 i really liked.It had a little mechanical-industrial feel but I was explained in the shop that is because wheel size which give much more feedback from the trail. Scott is tempting. It is really beautiful bike and it looked much better in the shop than on the pics. Plus 24.42 lb bike with 120mm travel that is really light. Anthem out of the box is slightly over 25 lb.
    Meh, the grass is always greener on the other side. If the bike is what u want, I wouldn't worry about it. The Spark looks like a fun XC bike (geometry).

mtbr member
    Owning a 29er AnthemX 2, I'd go with the Maestro suspension over the single pivot of the Scott.

It climbs/rides sweet.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Owning a 29er AnthemX 2, I'd go with the Maestro suspension over the single pivot of the Scott.

It climbs/rides sweet.
    Don't dis the single pivot quite yet. The 29er Spark 100 mm rear suspension is pretty effective and pedals very well. I would assume the same for the 27.5 version, but I could be wrong.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    To each their own

My Maestro pedals better than my ABP and way better than my old FSR frame. The FSR frame was fiercely dependant on shock platform. ABP is somewhere in the middle. ABP is wonderful descending though.

I NEVER mess with the ProPedal lever on the Giant... Thats why I love it for my XC/Epic ride bike.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    To each their own

My Maestro pedals better than my ABP and way better than my old FSR frame. The FSR frame was fiercely dependant on shock platform. ABP is somewhere in the middle. ABP is wonderful descending though.

I NEVER mess with the ProPedal lever on the Giant... Thats why I love it for my XC/Epic ride bike.
    The Spark is not your old FSR frame
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    The Spark is not your old FSR frame
    Did I say it was?

Geez. Let the record state mtroy likes his Scott single pivots.

The OP asked for an opinion, so I responded by saying I like the way my Anthem pedals. And compared it to current and previous frame designs I've owned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've test rode the Anthem 27.5, I found to the geometry to be uninspiring and meh. Plus I'm not a fan of Overdive 2 (unless it is no problem goin to standard tapered if needed). Personally I would take the Spark's geo, suspension, and adjust-ability both on the fly and geo over the Anthem if given the same price.

mtbr member
    Plus scott has HORRiBle customer service. My local lbs hates dealing with them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I've test rode the Anthem 27.5, I found to the geometry to be uninspiring and meh.
    My Anthem is a 100mm 29er that I bought to replace a 29er HT. Maybe my expectations were different, but I wasn't looking for inspiring geo. I wanted comfort and ease if riding in the 17th hour of an 18hr race or on the last climb during a 4-5 hr ride.

Plus I'm not a fan of Overdive 2 (unless it is no problem goin to standard tapered if needed).
    Forgot about that. Mine is a 2011 and is only OverDrive1 (that the rest of the world calls "tapered"). OverDrive2 would piss me off. Giant's house brand components suck. I've swapped everything (seat, post, stem, handlebar, wheels, etc) to aftermarket. Bike got much lighter in doing so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My Anthem is a 100mm 29er that I bought to replace a 29er HT. Maybe my expectations were different, but I wasn't looking for inspiring geo. I wanted comfort and ease if riding in the 17th hour of an 18hr race or on the last climb during a 4-5 hr ride.

Forgot about that. Mine is a 2011 and is only OverDrive1 (that the rest of the world calls "tapered"). OverDrive2 would piss me off. Giant's house brand components suck. I've swapped everything (seat, post, stem, handlebar, wheels, etc) to aftermarket. Bike got much lighter in doing so.
    As far as geometry and fit, I found this critical as I could never get along with my first bike due to fit and geo (I eventually figured out it was a size too small for me).

When I was 29er HT shopping I tested about 6 different 29er HTs. I ended up with a Scott Scale as it felt just right, it felt really dialed in. It felt comfortable, capable, and fun. I've got almost 1800 miles on it now and it's geo/fit is something that makes for a rewarding experience every time I get on it.

The Anthem 27.5 I dunno, it just didn't have any zing, it was bland. Maybe it would grow on me in time, I don't really know, I'd rather not gamble on it. I need to demo it again. I also rode the Trance 27.5 and I did enjoy that geo, however it was too much bike (too much travel, sluggish) which took the fun out. It would be nice if they had a bike that was a hybrid between the Anthem and Trance...kinda like what the Santa Cruz 5010 and Scott Spark is more towards.

I mean my old 1999 FSR Comp feels more enthusiastic than the Anthem. So I started leaning towards a Spark. I may go with used 26er FS if I can determine if it is the geo/fit I want. I will still keep Anthem in sight due to Giant's value packaging though.

The OD2 is an inconvenience, as well as pressed fit BBs on alu frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It would be nice if they had a bike that was a hybrid between the Anthem and Trance...kinda like what the Santa Cruz 5010 and Scott Spark is more towards.
    That's were the Trance 29er sits, imho.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Here is another 2 cents on the Scott Spark. Head tube angle is 68.3 with a seat tube angle of 73. degrees. Now on the Spark (and genius) there is a travel chip on the rear shock that when reversed (or "lowered") you drop the bb by 8mm and slack the head tube out .6 degrees. BB height in regular or "high" setting is 13in and with chip "lowered" 13.2". This obviously lengthens the wheel base and the bike can be used for "lighter" enduro races etc.
    As for the twin lock yes it is a few extra cables on the front end, but you totally forget about them when you are riding and don't even notice them. I have only had 2 issues on shop bike regarding the twin lock and it was a Fox issue not a Scott issue. The same cannot be said for the Brain shocks on the Specialized bikes. I don't know how many of those broke on my personal bike let alone the bikes sold at the shop.
    Yes the Spark is in the 3rd year (redesign was introduced in 2011) and these bikes have a 3 year model life before being redesigned. So take that as you may.
    I spent several years on a 29er, won a lot of races and loved the 29er wheel size and benefits. I have been on a Scale 7 for the last year and have found the wheel size that works for me. I am 5'8" and the 27.5 fits me perfectly.
    I would lean tword the Scott if I were you. But ultimately my recommendation is to ride both bikes and choose what works for you. It's all about ride quality and so far the Scott brand has, what I think, is the best.

mtbr member
    I'm considering the same to bikes. My decision process is limited by the fact that there are few Scott dealers in my area - and I can't find one to demo. That said, I'm leaning toward the Anthem - the reviews are fantastic!

Does anyone have feedback on the travel difference between the Anthem (100 mm) and the Scott (120 mm). I ride mostly east coast single track / XC and I'm a light rider (145 lbs). I'm also coming from hardtails (Ti 26" and carbon 29"). Thx!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anthem 3/maestro suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trak_Mind View Post
    I'm considering the same to bikes. My decision process is limited by the fact that there are few Scott dealers in my area - and I can't find one to demo. That said, I'm leaning toward the Anthem - the reviews are fantastic!

Does anyone have feedback on the travel difference between the Anthem (100 mm) and the Scott (120 mm). I ride mostly east coast single track / XC and I'm a light rider (145 lbs). I'm also coming from hardtails (Ti 26" and carbon 29"). Thx!

Hi,
    I have the anthem 3, been riding it for 5 months.
    I increased the front fork to 120mm and softened the compression damping a bit and it works great.
    The rear I replaced the monarch with a rebuilt Push Industries fox float.
    With that setup the 100mm in the rear can handle a lot of trail junk.
    I ride east coast single track and for that type if riding you do not need anymore.
    The maestro suspension is awesome. Way better than my Horst link bike, I never wish I had a lock out climbing. The only time I feel a negative with this suspension is if I unweighted the suspension at the same time I hit a root/ rock the suspension is too stiff. That happens once every few rides. Other than that this suspension is efficient and still soaks up the roots and rocks. The anthem 3 has the overdrive 1 so that helped when swapping stems.