Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

2014 Norco Sight Build

The Sight Killer B3 I demo'd was 32 lbs. I fell in love with it, but t was too heavy. I told my LBS it would be the perfect bike for me at less than 28lbs.
    The Bike:

2014 Norco Sight Build-img_0736.jpg2014 Norco Sight Build-img_0735.jpg
    2014 Norco Sight Build-img_0737.jpg
    Stock 2014 ALUMINUM medium frame in a flat charcoal with gold accents
    Stock saddle
    Stock stem
    Stock seat post
    2014 Fox 32 float 140K
    2014 Fox float CTDK shock
    Shimano XT brakes
    Ice tech rotors
    27.5 Stan's ZTR Crest with DT Swiss 350
    XX1 cranks with 32T chainring 156 Q factor
    X01 Cassette (its what was available)
    Thomson Mountain Bar Carbon
    X-King 2.4 up front
    X-King 2.2 in back

Weight: 25.75lbs sans pedals

As a reference, the top carbon Sight build comes in at 26.2lbs as reported on several sites. That includes a dropper. I did not want a carbon frame.
    There is room to get the weight down even further on my build, but that'll be in time.

It's a rocket.
    Last edited by Goldberm; 11-12-2013 at 07:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sweet ride. I really love the sight. In my top 5.

With the crest rims are you going to use as a cross country bike? Just curious as I was looking at crest rims for my 29er and my shop/friend said they weren't made for what I like to ride. ( nothing crazy although I'm 185).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great build! Love seeing more light weight alloy bikes builds. Gives me hope that I'll get my alloy Bronson down to around 25 pounds someday too. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    Sweet ride. I really love the sight. In my top 5.

With the crest rims are you going to use as a cross country bike? Just curious as I was looking at crest rims for my 29er and my shop/friend said they weren't made for what I like to ride. ( nothing crazy although I'm 185).
    I'm 135lbs, so I went with the crests for the weight savings. I'll describe my riding as a mixture of XC and moderately technical trail (occasional 4 ft drops). I'd be reluctant to put the crests on a 29er unless you're solely riding XC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Very nice build, I really dig the frame colour. I've got the more in-your-face hi-vis yellow 2013 Sight B1 built up a little burlier to suit my weight (200lbs) and trails. I am loving this bike. Haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing 29-30lbs with dropper post and pedals.

Frame: 2013 Sight B1, size L
    Fork: 2013 Fox Float 34 160mm (spacing it down to 150mm at next service, and install the 2014 upgrade kit)
    Wheels: Industry Nine Torch classic hubs laced to Pacenti DL31 rims
    Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar front/back
    Crankset: Race Face Turbine w/30t RF n/w ring and bash
    Brakes: Shimano XT w/icetech pads/rotors
    Shifter/Derailleur: Shimano XT med cage w/clutch
    Seatpost: KS LEV 125mm
    Handlebar: Race Face SIXC cut to 760mm
    Stem: Shimano PRO PLT 80mm 10deg rise
    Saddle: WTB Volt Race
    Pedals: Switching between XT clipless and Nukeproof Proton flats

2014 Norco Sight Build-sight_complete.jpg
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Seeing that build and weight, and also the many great reviews of this bike will put it on the demo list next spring - awesome.

As a side note my buddy just demoed a 2014 range in moab - b3 build and even tho it is considered a little less versatile he ripped everything both up and down and he's now a believer in the Norco.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    great. I am loving this bike. Haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing 29-30lbs with dropper post and pedals.*********************l/X5Wy5q[/img]

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I've got a Sight Killer B1 . Finding it hard to believe the op's bike is actually the weight claimed . My B1 weighed in at a real weight of about 30 pounds stock once i added DMR v12 magnesium pedals. That was with the standard tubeless nobby nick tyres that weigh 685g each.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    I've got a Sight Killer B1 . Finding it hard to believe the op's bike is actually the weight claimed . My B1 weighed in at a real weight of about 30 pounds stock once i added DMR v12 magnesium pedals. That was with the standard tubeless nobby nick tyres that weigh 685g each.
    I have the same bike as you, and my real world weight is about the same at 30 pounds. That said, the OP's bike has no dropper seat, pedals, and is running a lighter drive train then ours. Plus, the Crest wheel set is really light. I could see how his bike is in the 27-28 pound range. I'm not sure about the sub 26 pound range as stated, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    I have the same bike as you, and my real world weight is about the same at 30 pounds. That said, the OP's bike has no dropper seat, pedals, and is running a lighter drive train then ours. Plus, the Crest wheel set is really light. I could see how his bike is in the 27-28 pound range. I'm not sure about the sub 26 pound range as stated, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Figures quoted by Op seem unlikely . Rough guide of weight differences between his and a stock 650 b at 30 pounds :

Wheels : Crest +DT 350 vs Sun Ringle Charger Pro = 380 g at best
    Drivetrain : XX1 v's XT twin ring/slx f mech + cassette = approx 500g
    Tyres : Continental X King Prot vs Nobby Nick 2.4 pacestar = 60g
    Fork : Fox 32 2014 v's Revelation rct3 = 70g
    Norco seat post v's Reverb = 300g max

Pedals magnesium , titanium axled DMR v12 v,s Shimano XT race spd = very little difference

Saddle of Killer B1 is 60g lighter i think

Total weight saved 1250g = 2.75 pounds

That would make the build more like 27.25 pounds maybe .

To each his own , it's not my idea of a good build for a norco sight. Apart from the xx1 drivetrain the other components just don't seem to compliment the bike , especially the wheel set. If you just want to build a Norco Sight very light and don't care about anything else then i guess it's fine .

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bike looks awesome! I won't comment on weight as I don't see the point, but that build sho uld work well for your stated riding preferences.

mtbr member
    Figures quoted by Op seem unlikely . Rough guide of weight differences between his and a stock 650 b at 30 pounds :

Pedals magnesium , titanium axled DMR v12 v,s Shimano XT race spd = very little difference

To each his own , it's not my idea of a good build for a norco sight. Apart from the xx1 drivetrain the other components just don't seem to compliment the bike , especially the wheel set. If you just want to build a Norco Sight very light and don't care about anything else then i guess it's fine .
    Jack, you are putting to much thought into this. It looks like my educated guess jive with your numbers. In the end though, it's his bike, and he can do whatever he wants with it. My bike on the other hand will most likely get heavier before lighter. I'm thinking of going to Stan's Flows, with better hubs, and possibly a Pike fork. It would address any areas of concern that I have with the bike.

mtbr member
    Apart from the xx1 drivetrain the other components just don't seem to compliment the bike , especially the wheel set. If you just want to build a Norco Sight very light and don't care about anything else then i guess it's fine .
    The OP is 135 lbs. I don't understand how the wheelset is a bad choice at all. Seems to make all the sense in the world to me.

Looks a great build to me.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I missed the post that mentioned 135 pound rider weight , which is pretty low weight admittedly.

I replaced my Revelations with 150mm Pikes about a month ago : made a lot of difference to the bike . The Revelations were good but the Pikes take the bike to a whole new level.

New wheels about to go on , in fact that was the only disappointing part of the original bike : Sun Ringle Charger Pro , pretty light but rear hub is badly sealed , bearings gone in mine at about 500 miles and broke a spoke last week. I'm sure the hub would have failed a lot sooner if i'd bought the bike this time of the year instead of in the summer. Replacements are Flow EX rims , DT350 hubs, Sapim CXRay spokes , brass nipples (1900g exactly for set including rim tape and valve stems). Sram X01 also going on so hopefully i can bring the weight back to under 30 pounds.

mtbr member
    Nice bikes. I could be in the market for the new Range carbon. I have no way of demoing one so I am going off the few reviews I have read. Can any of you give some detailed comparisons of Norcos suspension and overall feel comparing to any other bikes you have owned!

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I rode both back to back and felt the Range was sluggish compared to the Sight but I guarantee that was due to setup.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I rode both back to back and felt the Range was sluggish compared to the Sight but I guarantee that was due to setup.
    Being the Range and Site have the same suspension platform, I meant the Sight vs. any other suspension design you guys have been on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    Very nice build, I really dig the frame colour. I've got the more in-your-face hi-vis yellow 2013 Sight B1 built up a little burlier to suit my weight (200lbs) and trails. I am loving this bike. Haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing 29-30lbs with dropper post and pedals.

Frame: 2013 Sight B1, size L
    Fork: 2013 Fox Float 34 160mm (spacing it down to 150mm at next service, and install the 2014 upgrade kit)
    Wheels: Industry Nine Torch classic hubs laced to Pacenti DL31 rims
    Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar front/back
    Crankset: Race Face Turbine w/30t RF n/w ring and bash
    Brakes: Shimano XT w/icetech pads/rotors
    Shifter/Derailleur: Shimano XT med cage w/clutch
    Seatpost: KS LEV 125mm
    Handlebar: Race Face SIXC cut to 760mm
    Stem: Shimano PRO PLT 80mm 10deg rise
    Saddle: WTB Volt Race
    Pedals: Switching between XT clipless and Nukeproof Proton flats

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sight_complete.jpg 
Views:	2816 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	846442
    So what can the Range do that the Sight can't, particulary built up like this?

Looking at both and leaning towards the trail bike as I don't expect to ever get really airborne. I do live 20 minutes from Blackrock but the built up structures are not my thing. On the other hand I'm currently 220 and if the Range can handle normal trail style riding better for my weight I'll go that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHijinks View Post
    So what can the Range do that the Sight can't, particulary built up like this?

Looking at both and leaning towards the trail bike as I don't expect to ever get really airborne. I do live 20 minutes from Blackrock but the built up structures are not my thing. On the other hand I'm currently 220 and if the Range can handle normal trail style riding better for my weight I'll go that way.
    A Range won't handle your weight any better then a Sight. It is just a matter of setting up the suspension to match your weight on either bike. I ride Blackrock on my Sight without any issues. I'm not a air guy or much on hitting the features. I do a fair amount of single track with some XC mixed in, and the Sight has proven to be a great do it all bike for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm about 175 pounds and use the sight for trail riding .Overall i'd say style of riding is enduro ish , mostly natural trails and as much single track and technical descents as i can find . Not really into jumping but when the bike is in the air it feels stable and safe relative to other bikes i've owned (Marin B17, Marin Mountvision 2000,Turner 5spot 2006) .

The suspension is very plush and works well . The turner had excellent rear suspension with a fox coil DHX5? with the piggy back reservoir. It's hard to compare the 2 to be honest as there were so many settings to play with on the older DH shock including pro pedal : i'd say the Norcos suspension is more active , you can sit and pedal through pretty rough terrain comfortably in open and trail settings .Climb setting tightens things up a bit more , i don't tend to use it much apart from on the road. Even in climb setting you will get some bob if you sprint out of the saddle. I've not ridden anything yet where i've felt the suspension was out of it's depth . Certainly the Rock Shock Revelation would start struggling on very rocky terrain before the rear suspension.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Being the Range and Site have the same suspension platform, I meant the Sight vs. any other suspension design you guys have been on.
    I rode the Intense Carbine 275 the same day and felt that the Carbine pedaled like the Sight but had 20mm more travel. It felt less active than the Sight or Range, but it also climbed better because of this. The Range felt like a downhill bike by comparison, but I did notice the low-bb. If I got the Range I'd put a 180mm fork on the front (Fox 36?) and do the 170mm conversion in the rear to raise the BB up.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

I appreciate your detailed post. My posted bike weight was from the scale at my LBS. I have not independently verified the weight of my bike with the department of weights and measures. However, I believe my LBS's scale.
    In your dissection of my bike's weight you did not mention the handle bar and some of your numbers were estimates, not facts. And including your bias, you still measured my bike to be within 1.5lbs of my stated numbers (and remember, I didn't have pedals on the bike and i'm tubeless). Not bad for your "rough guide"!

I'm sorry that my bike has given you such an awful distaste in your mouth. It happens to be the perfect build for me.

See you on the trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well the handlebar differences would most likely not be much since killer B1 has a Carbon bar as well and i assumed the bike was tubeless as well. The difference between the 2 seats would probably be more than the difference between the 2 bars . Estimates can work both ways : getting the exact difference between XX1 and a mixed XT/SLX group set isn't easy and with your wheel set it's hard to exactly know the weight just from rims and hubs.

Have to hold my hands up to mistranslating sans as "with " rather than "without" which means the weight you've given is probably near enough. Apologies , and enjoy your lightweight Sight

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sweet ride indeed, I test rode a Killer B last year and rode Downieville on it, I also thought the bike was pretty heavy for what it was, I'd love to test ride a 25 lb version of that bike. The slightly bigger wheels felt quite a bit more stable on those trails.. but it still felt like a 26" bike when it came to corners.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ^Thanks!

Just to be complete: Here is the photo that my bike shop sent me right after they built the bike and put it on the scale. I did post this picture in another thread, but it'll fit here given the above conversation. I am aware the bike is not in the frame, but I have no reason to doubt the authenticity.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast