Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

2014 Norco Fluid 7.1. Great in Parking Lot & on Paper

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share my parking lot demo experience. This bike is specced very well for the buck with full fox ctd front and rear, shimano deore brakes, maxxis tires, wide handlebar, lots of XT parts like shifters, derailleur, etc. 2,275$ Full Retail MSRP It's a 120mm 27.5" trail bike with short chain stays 16.73 inches, a trail friendly head angle 68.5 degrees, and great looks. Norco uses an FSR design that they've been doing forever and it showed on the spin around the parking lot. Felt stiff yet smooth over curbs and jumping off curbs. Would love to hear from anyone who's got real trail time on it. I'm debating between this type of 120mm bike or a bigger 150mm 27.5 bike like a Rocky Mountain Altitude. Not sure I would really need more than 120mm travel or so. If you are looking for a trail type of 27.5 fs bike, put this on your list to check out. I don't think there is a better specced 27.5 fs bike for the dollar parts wise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was checking this bike out online prior to my recent purchase. I couldn't find a single rider review of this bike anywhere. If I had a chance to throw a leg over one, I probably would have purchased it.

Thanks for sharing. It really helps everyone make their decisions for those of us without physical access.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I'll be reviewing this bike for MTBR but won't be on it till March or so with a review for mid April. Will take a look at it before hand if there's sufficient interest.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That would be great......If I buy one before that, I'll certainly give a good honest review. At the reasonable price, I might be able to keep 2 bikes and not feel too guilty.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    156 views, That's not exactly overwhelming though enough for me to get off my fat ass and start the review in winter

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Maybe by "getting off your fat ass" and reviewing it, your ass will be less fat! Plus, I think it's the sleeper value trail 27.5" bike for 2014. Bring it down to Spokane, Wa.....I'll review it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hey all. I have been wondering about this bike for a while and decided based on specs that this is the bike for me. My LBS recieved a shipment from Norco the first week of November. The immediately built one and called me. I went in that evening, spent a few minutes with her in the parking lot, fell in love, paid and broight her home. I now have about 150miles on her. Mostly trail and some XC. I love her even more. The geometry of the bike is fantastic, doing 3+ hour Xc ride and no pains or discomfort, could keep on going if the wife let me. Being a 30 gear bike, she climbs up the steepest and toughest terrain without hesitation. The stock Maxxis Ardent Exo guard tires grip great on climbs amd descents as well. Th controll is fantastic. She really is a confidence inspiring machine. Sections of trails where I would dismount on my old bike I just eat up with this one. The stock brakes were great but I had a set of Xts so I installed those and stopping power is premium now. I have kept the bike stock because she did come dressed uo pretty nicely. I have been through some rough rocky terrain, hit some decemt jumos and the WTB stock wheels remain true. The XT shifters shift the rear XT derailleur flawlesly and the front deore kne well too. I put a Reverb seat post on but that becomes a personal preferrence. Bottomn line, I don't think you could get a better bike for the buck. Norco did great with this bike. I would recommend it all day every day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This is a very interesting bike for me too.. Ironically, I also like the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolts, but there aren't any dealers anywhere near me to try (or buy ) from, so I don't know what to do. My local shop is stocked up on Giant 27.5 bikes, so that would be the safe choice, but the Norco and the RM are just interesting bikes to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for the review kingsleek. The thunderbolt geo is very similar to the fluid, but the comparable bike is way more that the fluid 7.1. It would be hard for me to go that route, even though I own a Rocky Mountain Vertex and love their bikes. The Thunderbolt is overpriced in my opinion. My local bike shop carries Rocky and Norco, and he's worried he's gonna have to do considerable discounting on the Rockys with Norcos next to them to sell em. The whole Norco lineup offers a ton of bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Come to find out , there actually is a Norco dealer in Saint Paul,mn.... Hmmmmmmmmmm. They don't stock the fs bikes, so I'd be ordering it blind, but at least I could get one if I decided that was the bike!

Baby Bear is in the house
    Interested in more reviews of this bike.

@LeeL, better sooner rather than later on that review ;-)
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    I've had my Norco Fluid 7.1 since the beginning of January, absolutely love it.
    Tough as old boots with a really good spec !

mtbr member

2014 Norco Fluid 7.1. Great in Parking Lot & on Paper

Here's a review on the Fluid 7.1 from down in Australia.
    http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/2014/02/norco-fluid-71

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Interested in more reviews of this bike.

@LeeL, better sooner rather than later on that review ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    Maybe by "getting off your fat ass" and reviewing it, your ass will be less fat! Plus, I think it's the sleeper value trail 27.5" bike for 2014. Bring it down to Spokane, Wa.....I'll review it!
    OK - well this is a super lively fun bike. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg (2699 Cad list price), has a sensible build, and I'm sorry to say that I can't find anything really negative to say about it so far. Just three rides on it but wow does Norco bring the value for money to the table.

Not terribly light at 32.5 lbs so on paper I should feel the weight but I'm embarrassed to say that everything I climbed on my 24lb carbon 29er I also climbed on this bike. But its still early to the game and I must find some way to justify owning the carbon wonderbike instead of this poppy red-black machine.

All the specs are here. Those Conti X-Kings are gonna be trouble in the wet though. Otherwise juries still out ...

Fluid Trail Mountain Bikes Norco Bicycles

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Had another ride on the bike with perfectly tacky conditions. Changed out the saddle for something that fit my ass. Gave the X-Kings one more try but even now when its wet they still frankly blow. They're the OE version and not Black Chilli. I don't get how they can be so bad; but I've ridden Crossmark, Ikons, Aspens, Bonty XR3s, Race-Kings and all of them without exception are better than the X-Kings. Off they go

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Had another ride on the bike with perfectly tacky conditions. Changed out the saddle for something that fit my ass. Gave the X-Kings one more try but even now when its wet they still frankly blow. They're the OE version and not Black Chilli. I don't get how they can be so bad; but I've ridden Crossmark, Ikons, Aspens, Bonty XR3s, Race-Kings and all of them without exception are better than the X-Kings. Off they go
    Thanks for the review Lee.

Wow, 32.5lbs. Where's all that weight coming from you reckon? The frame maybe?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Rode mine today as well. Love this bike. Odd about the Xkings, mine was shipped with Maxxis Ardent Exo guard 2.25 folding bead tires. I have since put a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 tire on the front. The bike feels dialed in to perfection, for me anyways. Threw a Reverb dropper post kn it was well and full XT brakes. I have nailed descents on this bike that would birderline bad intentions and she is as good as new. Norco built it bulletproof I think. This bike is an amazing bang for the buck in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    A few pics of todays outing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Norco Fluid 7.1.  Great in Parking Lot & on Paper-20140313_150735.jpg  

2014 Norco Fluid 7.1.  Great in Parking Lot & on Paper-20140313_150447.jpg  

2014 Norco Fluid 7.1.  Great in Parking Lot & on Paper-20140313_150502.jpg  

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Thanks for the review Lee.

Wow, 32.5lbs. Where's all that weight coming from you reckon? The frame maybe?
    Don't think it's one thing. Think it's just a combo of hitting the lower price points and the components. I didn't weigh the wheels but they sure feel uh burly. Odd though that even the bike's a bit porky it sure climbs everything.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsleek View Post
    Rode mine today as well. Love this bike. Odd about the Xkings, mine was shipped with Maxxis Ardent Exo guard 2.25 folding bead tires. I have since put a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 tire on the front. The bike feels dialed in to perfection, for me anyways. Threw a Reverb dropper post kn it was well and full XT brakes. I have nailed descents on this bike that would birderline bad intentions and she is as good as new. Norco built it bulletproof I think. This bike is an amazing bang for the buck in my opinion.
    The X-Kings are the Noram spec but you're in Kelowna so I don't get it? Your tires make way more sense. Maybe the Xkings make more sense for more laid back trails but even then my experience is that other fast rolling tires are better.

Oh yah - no weight difference from the bigger tires put on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah, even the guys at my LBS were pleasantly surprised with the tires that the bike came with. Regardless, I was not complaining...... Ot too worried about a few grams here and there. I guess if I was a "weight weenie", I'd eat a little healthier. lol

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Here goes

norcofluid71-2014 from Lee Lau on Vimeo.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Nnnniiiiicccceeeeeee
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Great video, thanks for posting! Getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these bikes. What pedal did you end up putting on the bike for this type of technical trail riding?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Anymore riders pick one up recently? If you have any positive or negative comments I would love to hear them.

This will be my first FS bike, however, I can't find any LBS that carry them in stock (in Los Angeles) so I will have to order without test riding.

at $2,250 it seems like this is a great bike for the money (my original budget was $2,000).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jcswol View Post
    Anymore riders pick one up recently? If you have any positive or negative comments I would love to hear them.

This will be my first FS bike, however, I can't find any LBS that carry them in stock (in Los Angeles) so I will have to order without test riding.

at $2,250 it seems like this is a great bike for the money (my original budget was $2,000).

Thanks
    Try my friend's shop Fenix Cycling, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast