mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2014 Giant Talon and Tempt 27.5 Hardtail models

Giant is starting to show their 2014 affordable 27.5's the Talon and the new Tempt Women's model

Talon 27.5 1 (2014) (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Tempt 0 (2014) (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Too bad there is no Fox fork on the Talon 27.5.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yea, I'm in the market for a bike for my lady, the Tempt is kinda tempting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Too bad there is no Fox fork on the Talon 27.5.
    In the past they've released early models based on sell through of current to cover any inventory holes in the line-up. The Tempt 0 model HAS Fox but the highest Talon released thus far is the 1. I'd suspect you'll see a Talon 27.5 0 Model with similar spec and price to Tempt 0.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Tempt 5 has been ordered and should be at my lbs in a bout a week. Seems like to good of a deal to pass up. Now if I can just keep it a secret from her until it's ready for pickup.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Ya know, if they were to dust off the old warp platform, and use it as a 650B, it'd make a fine little entry level full suspension. low mount single pivot swingarms work fine if you put a propedal type shock on them, and they had good standover clearance and the interrupted seat tube would even be beneficial for fitting a dropper post like the reverb stealth.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hop on!

What's with the warning sticker on the handlebar? It seems that Giant is the only bike brand to do that.

Forth Eorlingas!

Not dead yet, just playin
    Rumor is Giant will be showing off carbon 650b hardtails with high end components at Interbike.
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What's with the warning sticker on the handlebar? It seems that Giant is the only bike brand to do that.
    It just says to be safe and wear a helmet, improper use may result in bodily injury etc. It's gone now, the bike was just delivered and assembled yesterday. I think my Trance had the same sticker. Good news it's held on with a very light adhesive, and removes easily without leaving residue that is a pain to clean.

Now older but less slow!
    The Tempt 2 in tempting for my daughter but I'm wondering if this is still too big for her. She's 10.5, very tall, and much too large for her current 24" bike. I was going to get her a 26er but now I'm thinking that I may do well a skip the 26er and go for a small woman's specific 27.5. This may fit the bill.

I'm not terribly impressed with the spec and would prefer a frame only option, but the Tempt 2 does't seem to bad. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Is your daughter a pro (or aspiring) racer? Does she ride 100s of miles a week every week like clockwork? ahow much more do you think she'll grow?

I really and impressed with the tempt 5 I got for my lady. The fork is getting replaced asap, but other than that its is a very capable bike which she loves to death. Personally I think the 5 looks better than the 2, if you want to build her a NICE bike, buy a tempt 5 for the frame (I mean it's like < $500!) and build it up. But for a 11yo I wouldn't worry about it, maybe upgrade the fork if she really rides the crap out of it. Save your money for prom or whatever it is girls do these days.

mtbr member
    I bought my son, who is about the same age as your daughter, a 26" Revel 1 a couple months before the 27.5 was introduced. I keep meaning to take him by the shop and let him ride a 27.5 around because myself, and everyone else at the shop are interested in whether it works for him. Let me clarify. He can ride my wife's Talon 0 29er, which is a small. The problem isn't the frame size, it's that it's just too much wheel for him. He's happy enough with his Revel, and I've told him I'll help him with the fork upgrade program if he wears that one out before he out grows the bike. "Cool parts" for the bike are a good way to teach him about working and money management.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Newbie here!

2014 Giant Talon and Tempt 27.5 Hardtail models-1006026_10151573573811936_878993448_n.jpg

Just picked up my Talon 27.5 5 today at my LBS for $519!! I'm 5'6" so they sized me up with the Small frame. I tried the Medium frame as well and it was indeed a bit too long for me. This is my first MTB so I wasn't too sure what to expect. The fork Suntour XCT fork felt a bit spongy but maybe it was because I was test riding it out in the parking lot. The front brakes didn't grab as well as I would like, break in period perhaps? I didn't get to ride on any dirt paths yet but I'll provide an update once I find some local trails. Overall, I'm very pleased with my 1st MTB purchase as it didn't break the bank. Figure I can always upgrade the components. Rockshox 30 Gold?!!!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by riim17 View Post
    Figure I can always upgrade the components.
    Don't. Replace what breaks. Spare cash can be used for the next bike. Or get a good set of tools, and build your next bike yourself...

mtbr member
    The Talon is a pretty decent frame. Upgrades can be worth while if a hard tail is what you want to put money into. In particular, the wheels on that will be quite heavy, and you'll want an air fork of some sort. The rest of it, if you ride much, will wear out (chain, cassette, chain rings) and you can replace it with better stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by riim17 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1006026_10151573573811936_878993448_n.jpg 
Views:	14959 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	820077

Just picked up my Talon 27.5 5 today at my LBS for $519!! I'm 5'6" so they sized me up with the Small frame. I tried the Medium frame as well and it was indeed a bit too long for me. This is my first MTB so I wasn't too sure what to expect. The fork Suntour XCT fork felt a bit spongy but maybe it was because I was test riding it out in the parking lot. The front brakes didn't grab as well as I would like, break in period perhaps? I didn't get to ride on any dirt paths yet but I'll provide an update once I find some local trails. Overall, I'm very pleased with my 1st MTB purchase as it didn't break the bank. Figure I can always upgrade the components. Rockshox 30 Gold?!!!

What is the reason you wnet with the 27.5 over the Talon 29er? I am trying to figure out which on i should go with. I am a little bigger 6'3" and think the 29er fits me a little better.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    The Talon is a pretty decent frame. Upgrades can be worth while if a hard tail is what you want to put money into. In particular, the wheels on that will be quite heavy, and you'll want an air fork of some sort.
    If those bits are worth it, buy it from the start. Unless unavailable - like your favorite saddle or tires. Converting to tubeless can be a good reason...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cjblake09 View Post
    What is the reason you wnet with the 27.5 over the Talon 29er? I am trying to figure out which on i should go with. I am a little bigger 6'3" and think the 29er fits me a little better.
    My previous bike was a Specialized Sirrus Sport and it had 29s. On long stretches of road they were great but when it came to navigating tight turns i felt clumsy. Unfortunately I recently lost the bike...the strap came loose on my bike rack and off it went on the highway! Did some research and read an article about the new 27.5 and was sold. Shootout: Wheel Wars 29 vs 27.5 vs 26 | News | mountain-bike-action

Quote Originally Posted by cjblake09 View Post
    For your height, the 29er will fit you better and you will feel more comfortable riding it. Unless you plan on riding super tight technical trails, the 29er will be better, always.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    For your height, the 29er will fit you better and you will feel more comfortable riding it. Unless you plan on riding super tight technical trails, the 29er will be better, always.
    That is in no way a proven fact. That is simply your opinion. Let the rider discover what he prefers most in a bike.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...