View Poll Results: 2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 0 Team vs. Trance Advanced 27.5 0

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 0 Team

29 72.50%
  • 2014 Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 0

11 27.50%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 0 Team vs. Trance Advanced 27.5 0

Hello guys! I am planning to get a new bike for my next XC racing season. I am picking between the 2014 Anthem and Trance. They are both the flagship models of Giant. I am a bit confused on which I should get. As far as I know, the Trance has more travel than the Anthem but the Anthem is lighter than the Trance since the Trance is mainly for trail. The XC courses that I race on have some pretty technical rock gardens and such so I really don't know which I should get. Thanks guys Oh and don't forget to vote on the poll

mtbr member
    Get the Anthem!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Can you give me a reason Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Get the anthem it is way faster. The trance this coming year goes to 140 mm which would be a little much for xc racing. I have read some reviews of people making their front forks 120 and the y said the are way better on aggressive trails. But either way I would go with anthem. I've ridden both and the anthem is a rocket ship, one of the fastest bikes I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Would I be able to downhill the same as the Trance? Some people said that it wouldn't be good to jump with the Anthem while downhilling. Is that true?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ladk387 View Post
    Get the anthem it is way faster. The trance this coming year goes to 140 mm which would be a little much for xc racing. I have read some reviews of people making their front forks 120 and the y said the are way better on aggressive trails. But either way I would go with anthem. I've ridden both and the anthem is a rocket ship, one of the fastest bikes I've ever ridden.
    Would I be able to jump like the guys in this video? Enduro Racing with the Giant Factory Off-Road Team - YouTube (skip to the actual riding part)

orthonormal
    It doesn't make sense to consider the Trance if your main purpose for the bike is XC racing. The Anthem Advanced and the XTC Advanced are Giant's top XC race bikes. Either will do fine on more technical trails and jumps if you do that on occasion. If technical riding is your main interest and you only plan to race XC on occasion, something like the Trance starts to make more sense. Or get more than one bike.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    It doesn't make sense to consider the Trance if your main purpose for the bike is XC racing. The Anthem Advanced and the XTC Advanced are Giant's top XC race bikes. Either will do fine on more technical trails and jumps if you do that on occasion. If technical riding is your main interest and you only plan to race XC on occasion, something like the Trance starts to make more sense. Or get more than one bike.
    Yeah I mostly do XC but there are technical trails and some jumps. Would the Trance be used for Enduro mostly? Like the huge jumps? Not like XC jumps. The jumps I'm talking about are in this video: Enduro Racing with the Giant Factory Off-Road Team - YouTube Thanks!

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by vincelam1998 View Post
    Yeah I mostly do XC but there are technical trails and some jumps. Would the Trance be used for Enduro mostly? Like the huge jumps? Not like XC jumps. The jumps I'm talking about are in this video: Enduro Racing with the Giant Factory Off-Road Team - YouTube Thanks!
    It looks like those guys are probably riding the Trance SX. Same frame, longer travel fork and some heavier duty parts. Seems like a great bike for the kind of riding they were doing in the video. That kind of terrain is rideable on an XC bike but not as fast or as much fun as it is on a longer travel bike with appropriate geometry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It looks like those guys are probably riding the Trance SX. Same frame, longer travel fork and some heavier duty parts. Seems like a great bike for the kind of riding they were doing in the video. That kind of terrain is rideable on an XC bike but not as fast or as much fun as it is on a longer travel bike with appropriate geometry.
    Ok so if I bought the Anthem Advanced, would I at least be able to do those kinds of jumps? Because somewhere in another forum, I heard someone say that jumping with the Anthem Advanced would break the frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the Trance Advanced 0 and am mainly a XC racer. I initially bought this bike for enduro type technical riding, but as I began to ride it more and more I realized it would be an awesome XC bike. I took the dropper off and went tubeless and got the weight down to 24lbs otherwise stock. That may seem heavy for HIGH END XC full suspension, but its probably lighter than most FS XC bikes out there. You could probably lose more weight by replacing the Nobby Nics as they are pretty large and aggressive, as well as the 4 piston X0 trail brakes.

As far as the ride is concerned it RIPS down hill and over technical terrain, that was not a surprise. What was a surprise is that it climbed very well and efficiently. First of all, The fork can be dropped to 120mm travel externally and on the fly. This drops the front end for more aggressive positioning and climbing. I can say that having it at 140mm was not bad either for climbing, especially techy stuff. When the climb gets super steep, you'll probably want to drop it though. Otherwise it still flowed very well in tight single track.

The RT3 adjustments front and rear really tune the ride and can be set for aggressive XC as well as Trail/Enduro stuff. The 140mm rear soaks up a ton of course, but the other settings will calm the rear down and make it feel very XC like. The lock out is almost too firm at times, but the motion control setting is incredibly efficient.

I never expected to consider this to race next year because I have an Anthem Adv 0 on order. But I'm highly considering racing this on technical courses and getting an XTC for the tamer stuff. I think an Anthem is a great in between bike, though.

Final word: The Trance Advanced 0 can DEFINITELY be used an XC bike because it can be built relatively light and has great adjustability. I certainly would draw the line there though. Once you get into the >27lb region with some of the lesser spec'd Trances, it probably would be better to go Anthem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    I have the Trance Advanced 0 and am mainly a XC racer. I initially bought this bike for enduro type technical riding, but as I began to ride it more and more I realized it would be an awesome XC bike. I took the dropper off and went tubeless and got the weight down to 24lbs otherwise stock. That may seem heavy for HIGH END XC full suspension, but its probably lighter than most FS XC bikes out there. You could probably lose more weight by replacing the Nobby Nics as they are pretty large and aggressive, as well as the 4 piston X0 trail brakes.

As far as the ride is concerned it RIPS down hill and over technical terrain, that was not a surprise. What was a surprise is that it climbed very well and efficiently. First of all, The fork can be dropped to 120mm travel externally and on the fly. This drops the front end for more aggressive positioning and climbing. I can say that having it at 140mm was not bad either for climbing, especially techy stuff. When the climb gets super steep, you'll probably want to drop it though. Otherwise it still flowed very well in tight single track.

The RT3 adjustments front and rear really tune the ride and can be set for aggressive XC as well as Trail/Enduro stuff. The 140mm rear soaks up a ton of course, but the other settings will calm the rear down and make it feel very XC like. The lock out is almost too firm at times, but the motion control setting is incredibly efficient.

I never expected to consider this to race next year because I have an Anthem Adv 0 on order. But I'm highly considering racing this on technical courses and getting an XTC for the tamer stuff. I think an Anthem is a great in between bike, though.

Final word: The Trance Advanced 0 can DEFINITELY be used an XC bike because it can be built relatively light and has great adjustability. I certainly would draw the line there though. Once you get into the >27lb region with some of the lesser spec'd Trances, it probably would be better to go Anthem.
    That was some good info there thanks man. So if I bought the Anthem, how would it compare to the downhilling of the Trance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Would I be able to change the Anthem's 100mm travel fork and buy a Fox Talas 120mm travel fork? Would it make the downhilling better or would it be in the frame geometry?

cowbell
    If you want big air, get the Trance, period, end of discussion. If you air the Anthem out and break the frame, they will not cover it, while the Trance, they likely will. Giant will openly admit the Anthem is not made with jumping in mind, it is an XC race bike, and XC tracks have small drops, but not jumps. Watch world cup XC racing. If they don't do it in the race there, the Anthem isn't made for it. If you're jumping, get the Trance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    If you want big air, get the Trance, period, end of discussion. If you air the Anthem out and break the frame, they will not cover it, while the Trance, they likely will. Giant will openly admit the Anthem is not made with jumping in mind, it is an XC race bike, and XC tracks have small drops, but not jumps. Watch world cup XC racing. If they don't do it in the race there, the Anthem isn't made for it. If you're jumping, get the Trance.
    What if I got a Fox Talas with more air and travel for the Anthem? Would it still break the frame?

orthonormal
    Just because the Anthem is an XC bike does not mean it's going to burst into flames or crumble to dust if you ride it hard. Buy the bike that's most appropriate for what you do most of the time. It'll be fine for those occasions when you ride different stuff.

Wrench
    Exactly.

I'd wager the biggest difference between the frames is in their geometry and travel. One might be a tad bit burlier, but it's a difference most wouldn't notice.

I jump my XC bike all the time, and it's a hardtail. Don't get sucked into the marketing gimmicks. Get the bike that feels best, then ride the snot out of it.

Just because the Anthem is an XC bike does not mean it's going to burst into flames or crumble to dust if you ride it hard. Buy the bike that's most appropriate for what you do most of the time. It'll be fine for those occasions when you ride different stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to get the Anthem. And plus it's so light!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Thanks Andy! I think you've helped me to make my decision. I'll be getting the Anthem. And thanks firnthe video! Those guys are amazing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Does the Anthem or Trance look better in terms of looks? What do you think?

mtbr member
    They both look the same to me.

cowbell
    The fork you use will make no difference.

I'm not asserting that an XC bike will magically break if you jump it. But I very specifically ASKED Giant - as a guy who owns an Anthem 29er, and has broken the frame WITHOUT jumping it or crashing it at all - just riding it hard - whether I could buy a Trance and be covered under their warranty for riding trails with larger drops or if I needed to get a Reign - they said they warranty a Trance frame for drops and large jumps. If you read the warranty material though, it specifically says XC designed bikes (The Anthem!) will not be warrantied for jumping, riding drops, etc.

So flame on, ride whatever you want to over what ever you want to, I'm just telling you - if you want to jump it, and you want the manufacturer to warranty the frame if it breaks, get the Trance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    For what it's worth, cotharyus, I thought it was pretty clear you were referring to warranty coverage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    The fork you use will make no difference.

I'm not asserting that an XC bike will magically break if you jump it. But I very specifically ASKED Giant - as a guy who owns an Anthem 29er, and has broken the frame WITHOUT jumping it or crashing it at all - just riding it hard - whether I could buy a Trance and be covered under their warranty for riding trails with larger drops or if I needed to get a Reign - they said they warranty a Trance frame for drops and large jumps. If you read the warranty material though, it specifically says XC designed bikes (The Anthem!) will not be warrantied for jumping, riding drops, etc.

So flame on, ride whatever you want to over what ever you want to, I'm just telling you - if you want to jump it, and you want the manufacturer to warranty the frame if it breaks, get the Trance.
    Hey Cotharyus, it depends on what kind of jumps you're talking about. I'm not going to be doing those huge 10 ft. jumps. The jumps I'll be doing would only be up to about 5 ft. And I'm not a very heavy person either. Would I still break the frame? I mean it's for xc and I want to get a bike that's lightest as possible.

mtbr member
    You're not going to break the frame!!!!! Like it has been mentioned above if you are racing get the Anthem.

Races have climbs right?? You'll need to climb efficiently. The Trance is more slack and you will climb better on the Anthem. Not sure why this is such a hard thing to understand. Giant has two bikes for two different purposes. Anthem = XC/ Trail, Tance = Trail/ Enduro.

Maybe you should look at different brand bikes if this is confusing for you.

I ride a Rocky Mountain Altitude 730 and my friend rides a Anthem 3. Both bikes are aluminum and weigh approximately the same. Both are set up XX1 and tubeless. Both riders are in the same physical shape and age.

Having said that, I am 3-5 minutes ahead of my friend in XC/ Trail riding, everyday, all day long when we ride together within 1 or two miles of starting. So like I said, maybe you need to look at other brands.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast