mtbr member
    Aug 2005

2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 275 Medium *Spam* NEW

I ordered the wrong size. This bike has not been ridden. $4500

Here is the ad.

2014 Giant Anthem Advance 1 275 Medium - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    Last edited by heythorp; 12-19-2013 at 08:16 PM.

mtbr lurker
    That's a lot of money for a bike that won't have a warranty and you are charging $150 shipping for.

Trail Ninja
    Not cool to crap on people's ads with such comments, though I do agree that's a tough sell considering those things and the competition (which includes local bike shops selling brand new with warranty, with potential discounts if you ask).

X-mas present for your family maybe?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well,

If you don't like the price you have a few options.

1. Thread Crap
    2. Keep quiet
    3. Make an offer

I live in an area where tax is 10%. So If you pay 4500 for the bike plus 10%, what I am offering is not that bad.

I can't control shipping costs it is what it is. I am trying to sell it locally and take a loss on the tax.

Then there is paypal fees etc...

People tend to think the asking price is not fair without realizing other costs involved. If my ad does not work for you, thats cool.

Thanks for looking.

mtbr member
    Price and logic of the OP seem fine to me. Are you really going to need to warranty the frame???? Highly doubtful.

More likely if you are 300 lbs rocketing off 6' jumps (enough to crack the frame - BIG MAYBE) you won't be riding a medium.

So really, what could you possibly worry about a warranty for?
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

It's about showing up.
    This is not an ad space but a forum. You dip your toe in this pool and you get what you get. No sniveling allowed.

Best of luck with your sale. I have the same bike and it is terrific.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 275 Medium *Spam* NEW-anthem2542.jpg  

I don't rattle.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by heythorp View Post
    Well,

If you don't like the price you have a few options.

1. Thread Crap
    2. Keep quiet
    3. Make an offer

I live in an area where tax is 10%. So If you pay 4500 for the bike plus 10%, what I am offering is not that bad.

I can't control shipping costs it is what it is. I am trying to sell it locally and take a loss on the tax.

Then there is paypal fees etc...

People tend to think the asking price is not fair without realizing other costs involved. If my ad does not work for you, thats cool.

Thanks for looking.
    Best of luck to you. It's a bummer to realize you bought the wrong size on such an expensive purchase. Even so, all of your added costs don't matter to a potential buyer; they're your problem. All people are going to see is that you are selling a used bike (even though you never rode it) for only $250 less than MSRP.

If I was looking into buying the same bike, your price plus the $150 shipping and 3% for PayPal would put my cost at $4785. If I paid full MSRP at a Giant dealer, it would cost me an extra $345 (8% tax here) and for that I would get the peace of mind from the warranty plus the usual bike shop extras like free tuneups for the first year, swap the saddle to my preference, throw in free pedals, etc. On top of that, I've always been able to get 5-10% off MSRP on every high end bike I've ever bought new.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It doesn't cost $150 to ship a bike... more like $80. As long as you keep the length of the bike box under 48"- which isn't hard to do- you don't have to pay the overage charge from UPS or FedEx. I shipped a full size 29er (38 lbs with the box) two weeks ago across the country for $90, and that included over $2500 in insurance coverage.

Other than that, I have no comment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Best of luck to you. It's a bummer to realize you bought the wrong size on such an expensive purchase. Even so, all of your added costs don't matter to a potential buyer; they're your problem. All people are going to see is that you are selling a used bike (even though you never rode it) for only $250 less than MSRP.
    If I was looking into buying the same bike, your price plus the $150 shipping and 3% for PayPal would put my cost at $4785. If I paid full MSRP at a Giant dealer, it would cost me an extra $345 (8% tax here) and for that I would get the peace of mind from the warranty plus the usual bike shop extras like free tuneups for the first year, swap the saddle to my preference, throw in free pedals, etc. On top of that, I've always been able to get 5-10% off MSRP on every high end bike I've ever bought new.
    This, buyers don't care about you're incidentals. The bottom line is, what will your bike cost vs. new. There has to be a reward to warrant the risk.
    Saving 200-300 dollars isn't a reward for taking on the risk of no warranty.

Honestly, have you talked to the shop about getting in the right size frame and moving the parts over?
    The frame only option on website is fugly, I'm sure there are plenty of people that would love to have the option of the black stealth frame.
    The shop should be able to do this and still sell the frame with warranty if it hasn't been ridden.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

HBC
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 275 Medium *Spam* NEW

Would your dealer not consider exchanging it for you? A big ask but maybe one worth asking. Even if you take a hit on it?

www.highlandbikes.com