Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 3

Just picked up my 2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 3 from my LBS 4 days ago. I've put about 50 miles on it so far. I wasn't sure about it at first, but now I love how this bike rides. The only thing I think I'm gonna do is put a bit higher set of riser bars on it, raise it up about 20mm. Other than that, the geometry is spot on. The handling is crisp, the frame is solid. I'm going from a 2011 Giant Yukon FX to this one and the difference is night and day. I know there really is little comparison to these bikes other than brand and suspension travel. I bought the Yukon 10 months ago and have put over 2,000 miles on it.

I've only ridden the Anthem on two trails and around the neighborhood and when all this rain lets up here in North Florida, I'm gonna put it to use on other trails. So far it's fast, nimble, goes over roots much better than my 26er. And did I say it's fast?

As I put more miles on her, I'll update here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 3-photo-50.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I test rode one of those in the parking lot and took it off some tallish jumps etc. I'm having a little bit of an issue regarding the price difference between the 2014 27.5 and the 2013 anthem x 29er with a similar build. At 1900ish vs 2200ish it seems like the 29er would be the better value as most parts are of the same spec.

One thing I didn't have my local weigh either of those to compare weight. I've been only 29ers at the "bike shop quality" type bikes and am used to the handling. I'd like to try the 27.5. I rode the 26er anthem x a couple years ago and found it to be an awesome and fun ride.

Congrats on a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Looks great. Curious about the weight. Any idea? Thanks...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank you. The bike weighed in at 29 lbs ready to ride as weighed by the LBS before heading out the door.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looks cool. Looks fancy. Looks like fun...but vs the AX1 29 I just bought, for what you get for the money, it seems pricey. Maybe if the components were better. I will admit that the one improvement over the 29'er is the rear convertible axle situation.

The Giant AX 27.5 is one of the few 100 mm xc 27.5/650B bikes, at least by a big player. KHS has a bike with 69.5 HA but their's comes in a 120 mm travel version minimum. Also no indication yet what KHS has for 2014. I want to try this Giant Anthem 27.5 bike so I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for demo's...but Canada seems to be the last to get these new bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Awesome bike I'm having trouble deciding between that and the trance 3 or save more money and go with the anthem advanced 2 27.5 any suggestions or comments welcomed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm loving my bike. I haven't tried the Trance, so I can't give you any advice there. I am a bit in wonder as to the component level/price of this bike as you are morkys. However, this bike handles very very nicely. Stable, quick, with the short chainstays it wheelies easily and controllably. I've gotten a little over 250 miles on it in the last 4 weeks and plan to keep putting the miles on. I look forward to riding it, and that says a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    As an aside, the bike came with what appears to be a SRAM X5 GXP 2x10 crankset (it could also be the X7 since it isn't marked and I was skimming the SRAM website to figure it out) instead of the Shimano Deore 2x10 crankset. Physically the crankset looks like SRAM X5 2X10 Crankset | SRAM, but is only marked with SRAM and Truvativ. The shifters and FD are Shimano SLX instead of the spec'd Deore.

The LBS assembled another Anthem 27.5 3 and it too has the same components mine does.

I guess that goes with the fine print that says spec's could change without notice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 3

Yes mine has the same spec as yours

mtbr member
    I've ordered a bunch of crap for mine, XX1 crank, light cassette/seatpost/clamp/stem/etc. Will post up a thread when I finish my semi-weight weenie build. I'm waiting for Mavic to introduce another option of 27.5 wheels before pulling the trigger on it.

One thing that I've had to get used to was the lower bottom bracket than the 120/130mm trail bikes I've been on the last couple years. I'm still adjusting to pedal strikes and paying more attention to foot placement but the handling with the lower bb is nice. It rails like my old niner EMD. I will replace the fork on it later this year and I am even more committed to trying a 120mm setting on it, I really think this bike will respond nicely to a little more fork up front.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Madsedan,
    You're going to like the XX1 on this bike. One plus is that the colors are the same - HA
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Two and a half months in, I've put a few hundred more miles on her. She's a great bike. Love the handling and most of the components. I'm not in love with the rear shock. It leaks air on me and bottoms out to easily, even when not being ridden hard. I'm looking at getting a Push/Fox shock. The forks work very well, and I'm very pleased with it. The Racing Ralphs work very well on the terrain here in N. FL. I'll be taking it up to the FATS trails in SC in the next month or so and see how she likes the steeper terrain.

As far as pedal strikes, it's taking me a bit to get used to. The lower BB gives remarkable handling, but...one pedal strike earlier this month nearly put me over the bars. I was taking a fast right hand sweeper when my right pedal hit a root hidden amongst some leaves and nearly stopped the bike cold while throwing me onto the bars. Fortunately I hit the rear brake and was able to get back into the saddle before the next turn. Now that I've gotten more miles on her, I find I have less pedal strikes, just taking some getting used to is all.

The bike wheelies very easily, so getting over obstacles is fairly simple.

The only times I have wished for a bit more power in my brakes is when I have ridden between my house and some local trails and hit a few long, steep downhills and have gotten into the 30+ MPH range and felt I needed to slow more quickly. Otherwise, the brakes have great feel and stopping power.

Speaking of brakes, the rear brake hose will rub the vertical support on the rear triangle and rub through the paint and into the metal. It was fixed with some paint and the application of frame rub stickers. Not a deal breaker, just something to be aware of.

My overall impression of this bike is that it is fast, fun to ride, and is quality built.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    I will admit that the one improvement over the 29'er is the rear convertible axle situation.
    Yeah, I don't understand why the 29er doesn't have the 142x12 option. You'd figure with the longer chain stays vs. the 27.5 that flex would be more of an issue. Maybe they didn't want to retool for the 2014 29er production run whereas they could do that from the start for the 27.5er. *shrug*

Either way, there's a demo day this Saturday at one of the local trails. I'm looking forward to doing an A/B comparison between this and the Anthem X 1.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So I went to my shop and weighed my bike almost stock. 30.1 lbs in a size large with pedals and a bottle cage and Garmin.

One of my super gripes is the whole super low bottom bracket. The BB height on my bike with the Maxxis Ardent 2.2s front and rear is between 11.5 and 11.75 oh well though. The bike is fun to ride a more playful than my 29er SS.

One other gripe that actually bothers me more than the BB height (which is a learning process) is the fact that my bike came spec'd with wire bead tires. I'm not sure that because I got an early version of this model that I got the garbage tires but I did. One of the first things I had to do was buy brand new tires for my brand new bike.

I've ridden an XL after I purchased and thought about trading my L and getting an XL. The L just feels small but I guess I can contribute it to the smaller wheel size.

Anyone else feel like a tall monster with some serious saddle/bar drop on their bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    antimike, how tall are you? I rode two different model 275 Trances yesterday in a L frame and they felt like that in comparison to my XL 29er, which I feel is a bit big. I'm 6'3 and would definitely want a XL frame.

mtbr member
    If your rear shock is leaking, it may have the old o-ring in the back of the air can. There was a running change to replace that o-ring with a quad seal. Nitrile 215 or 216 if you want to open it up and check it out. I think it's a 216. You can keep the teflon backing rings in there and just pop that o-ring out.

And try going up in travel on the fork for the bb issue. I don't know if that Recon fork is the 100-120 model or not. I'd have to look up the details on the SRAM tech site to see if there is only one CSU for that fork. If so, there's a travel spacer in there and going up to 120 would help with pedal strikes and mellow that front end out a bit.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cj_desmit View Post
    antimike, how tall are you? I rode two different model 275 Trances yesterday in a L frame and they felt like that in comparison to my XL 29er, which I feel is a bit big. I'm 6'3 and would definitely want a XL frame.
    I'm 6' and .5 inch. My inseam is 33 inches, and I actually shortened the stem from 100mm (stock) to 80.

Not sure if many of you noticed this or knew, but the Anthem 27.5 3 doesn't have overdrive 2. When I replaced the stem, I bought an OD2 stem and had to use the reducer to make the spacing right. Didn't think much of it at the time, but it definitely opens up options for using a higher end and possibly less expensive aftermarket stem.

If you look on giant's website for the United States, the overview says "overdrive 2"
    Anthem 27.5 3 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

If you look on the technologies page as well as the full specs page, it doesn't list OD2 as an option for this specific model.

It looks like they only utilized OD2 for the Anthem Advanced models in 27.5.

Just as an FYI, I rode the Trance 27.5 3 and it didn't feel as small. Maybe due to the more slack HTA or something but I didn't like riding it as much as I like my Anthem.

Side note is that riding a geared back has made me a wussy with a p when I get back on my SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by antimike View Post
    So I went to my shop and weighed my bike almost stock. 30.1 lbs in a size large with pedals and a bottle cage and Garmin.

One of my super gripes is the whole super low bottom bracket. The BB height on my bike with the Maxxis Ardent 2.2s front and rear is between 11.5 and 11.75 oh well though. The bike is fun to ride a more playful than my 29er SS.

One other gripe that actually bothers me more than the BB height (which is a learning process) is the fact that my bike came spec'd with wire bead tires. I'm not sure that because I got an early version of this model that I got the garbage tires but I did. One of the first things I had to do was buy brand new tires for my brand new bike.

I've ridden an XL after I purchased and thought about trading my L and getting an XL. The L just feels small but I guess I can contribute it to the smaller wheel size.

Anyone else feel like a tall monster with some serious saddle/bar drop on their bike?
    You can remove the spacer to increase travel to 120mm. The bb will be at 13"
    I am 6'-1" with 34 inseam and ride a large. I also ran into the low bar height. I got a 100mmx10 degree stem and added an answer 50mm riser bar. With that the bar is approx 1/2" above the saddle. Mine came in ad 29-3/4 lbs. without the extras, so that sounds about right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I like reading the reviews, my Anthem Advance 27.5-1 should be here either tomorrow or Monday, then I need to get it setup tubeless with some Seguarro tires, my carbon 3T bars. then I just have to wait on the carbon seatpost and stem to show up.

Hoping it shows up tomorrow, that way I can ride it this weekend before my next race next weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer View Post
    You can remove the spacer to increase travel to 120mm. The bb will be at 13"
    I am 6'-1" with 34 inseam and ride a large. I also ran into the low bar height. I got a 100mmx10 degree stem and added an answer 50mm riser bar. With that the bar is approx 1/2" above the saddle. Mine came in ad 29-3/4 lbs. without the extras, so that sounds about right.
    I need to make a correction, the bb height with the 120mm fork is 12.5". NOT 13" as I said before.

It's about showing up.
    Rode an 27.5 Anthem 3 today. The size was right but the fit was off; too much set-back in the seat post and too long a stem. Everything worked well enough. Sure wish I could do a dirt demo but I liked it better than the SC 5010 (Solo)

Standard spec with pedals, Large, 30 lbs (13.6 killergrams.)

Boy, fit is everything
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've never found a bike that fits perfectly or even close new. Every bike will need to be "Fit" either at home or at a shop. I have a slew of stems, bars & seat posts in my toolbox so I can fit my bike and friends bikes before they buy the nicer parts.

I also have many different seats which have come in handy many times.
    Marty-mj
    Dakar 650b Pro Full Squish & Trek Farley Fat Bike

It's about showing up.
    Part of the problem is that I have fit my Bontrager Racelite to my riding ability over the last 15 years. We're talking dialed. I also fit my teams over the years. Now I'm starting from zero, with a new wheel size and contemporary suspension.

I think I will go back with some measurements and see if I can get them to swap a stem.
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    Just weighed an Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 at Eden Cycles in Castro Valley.

It was a Small without pedals with standard spec.

24 pounds and 11 ounces or 11.22 killergrams

What a beauty.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 6'1" and went with the L size 2014 Giant Anthem 1
    Anthem 27.5 1 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia
    Info - 2014 Anthem 1 (Alloy), Australian spec, L size, stock bike weight is 27lbs (no pedals).

Sizing seems perfect. Any taller and I would have needed an XL though.
    I would like the option to have a few stems and swap them out depending on my riding but the fact that Giant use the OD2 odd size stems means I can't use any of my existing stems and would need to purchase new ones from Giant. (NOT HAPPY!)

I would have loved the Anthem Advanced but it was just too expensive.
    Last edited by Axxis; 02-10-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: add weight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast