mtbr member
    Feb 2012

2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 with 120mm fork......Thoughts?

Thinking of getting a new anthem 27.5 advanced 2 and making it a 120mm fork. My local bike shop called rockshox and the 100mm reba 27.5 can be made 120mm if a new internal piece is ordered. This seems like it would be a sweet go fast bike with some real trail abilities too. with the 120mm fork, you'd have a 68.5 head angle, and a shorter overall wheelbase and chain stays than the new 27.5 trance. 17" for anthem, 17.3" for Trance. I think this new 27.5 anthem with a longer (120mm) fork is what Carl Decker just won a big race on.

What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Be careful about pushing the limits on the Anthem. It's designed as a fast XC bike. It's only designed to take hits as a fast XC bike. Although the 27.5 frame is somewhat different to the 29er, lots of people have discovered the cost of the light weight frame is it's also light duty. Before you push into one of these things, ride a Trance just to make sure it won't do what you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Rode both trance and anthem back to back yesterday. It's hard to get a great idea in a parking lot with stock bars and stems. I'd be coming from a carbon 29er hardtail with 100mm travel, so any rear travel is nice. I figure the anthem frame and suspension have to be pretty burly or the giant pros wouldn't ride on it at some of these big "all mountain" endure style races with 120mm forks. I'm 185-190 lbs, love to go fast up and push it, but am also learning I like to take "sweet jumps". I know the trance can be ridden fast as well though, tough call! I also like the idea of the shorter wheelbase anthem for fast twisty type of trails.

mtbr member
    From your riding description I'd go with the Trance. I think you'll be happier with that choice based on what you described. Both are sweet bikes though. My friend just picked up his Anthem on Monday from a shop in Ann Arbor, MI and it is very nice. I was going to go this route too, but pulled the trigger on a Rocky Mountain Altitude instead.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b

Wrench
    The Anthem will be able to take what you throw at it, just don't skip on beefier wheels and higher volume tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Zerort,

Those altitudes are sweet, another great bike. I've got the Carbon RM Vertex 29 now, so I know that Rocky makes a sweet bike. Yeah, I would probably put Stan's Arch Ex's on that Anthem....although I'm a little skeptical after having a tire burp badly on my 29er Arch EX and getting pretty badly injured. That's in another thread I started in wheels and tires though. Think I'm gonna sell my 22lb RM Vertex 29er that I don't race and get a "funner" bike that I can feel better about taking bigger "sweet jumps" on.

mtbr member
    "Sweet Jumps" - you want a trance. I don't jump my Anthem (bunny hop, but not jump) and I'm currently in the midst of having the frame warrantied. If look closely at Giant's warranty information you'll find that certain bikes are warranted for certain things, based on design, that others are not. Anthems aren't warranted for jumping. My recommendation for a Trance is not arbitrary.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wait, you want to buy an XC race bike, and then make the head tube slacker!? But then again I look at any XC bike with less than a 70 degree HA with a great deal of skepticism.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    Hey Zerort,

Those altitudes are sweet, another great bike. I've got the Carbon RM Vertex 29 now, so I know that Rocky makes a sweet bike. Yeah, I would probably put Stan's Arch Ex's on that Anthem....although I'm a little skeptical after having a tire burp badly on my 29er Arch EX and getting pretty badly injured. That's in another thread I started in wheels and tires though. Think I'm gonna sell my 22lb RM Vertex 29er that I don't race and get a "funner" bike that I can feel better about taking bigger "sweet jumps" on.
    PTkevin,
    Glad to hear. The Altitude should be here on Wednesday. I'm stoked.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b

jrm
    mtbr member
    Back on topic: Is anyone using a 120mm for on their anthem. I'd like some feedback if possible.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    JRM, in spite of my earlier comments, rumor has it Adam Craig is using a 120mm fork on HIS Anthem 27.5 and loves it. So much in fact, that I'm willing to be we may specifically see an Anthem SX for 2015 that comes factory with a 120mm fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A Giant rep at demo days this past summer said a factory specced 120mm version of the anthem 27.5 is in the works when I asked him about putting a 120mm on the front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    A Giant rep at demo days this past summer said a factory specced 120mm version of the anthem 27.5 is in the works when I asked him about putting a 120mm on the front.

I have an anthem 3 with 27.5 wheels, increased the fork travel to 120mm
    I love it.
    It gave me a bit more bb clearance and didn't slow down the handling much.
    At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it and almost went to 110mm
    But after a few rides I was convinced it was for me.

I ride xc trails, was debating over the anthem and trance but the trance would have been too all mountain for the terrain I ride.