Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 Devinci Troy quick review

I received my new Troy last weekend. I had been looking for a new trail bike for a while now. I was about to get a Norco Sight or Range until I heard about the Troy. My Kona Tanuki DL was just not cutting it. It felt soft and just never felt "right" for my riding. I was excited to receive it. Its first test was on a DH jump trail that my friend built. The bike is really neutral in the air and handles the jumps great. I did not want to get the Kona hardly off the ground, never felt comfortable on it.

I then tested it on the local XC trails. Again it did really good. It feels much more efficient and I was able to climb the hills quicker than before as well as descend the other side fearlessly. I did not notice the larger wheel size one bit. It is playful and nimble. I am really impressed with it so far. It has been too long since an XC/AM trail ride has put such a large smile on my face. I once again can have fun on a trail bike.

Just thought I would share. It is the carbon frame with the XP build kit. The value vs options were hard to beat! Thank you Billy Goat Bikes!

As she sits now with a single NW chain ring and dropper.
    2014 Devinci Troy quick review-p4pb10219339.jpg

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-p4pb10205778.jpg

2014 Devinci Troy quick review-p4pb10205777.jpg

-Brett
    Last edited by Carraig042; 01-24-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    What did you pay?
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    I cant really say because I got it through a sponsor deal at a bike shop. Good thing about Devinci though, is that they can sell you a frame and any level of the build kit you want. In the case of getting a carbon frame and the XP build kit (that I wanted because of the Pike) it was cheaper than the RC build on their website. Are you located in the South East?

-Brett

tardcore
    Looks great. I was sold on the new Kona process but have been starting to lean towards the troy. its good to get some real world feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    Good thing about Devinci though, is that they can sell you a frame and any level of the build kit you want. Are you located in the South East?
    -Brett
    Ah so I could get the carbon frame with the cheaper build from alloy XP?
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

tardcore
    My LBS told me they could do that and ordered some that way. The only problem is that they said completes are coming later than frames, they'll have frames next week. Maybe I'll just wait a bit and get the carbon on the XC build, I'll just upgrade parts as I can. Brakes and wheels will be first, cassette... I have bars, stems, seats and some nice drive train stuff already. Ok, I'm gonna go call the shop now, I talked myself into it )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Ah so I could get the carbon frame with the cheaper build from alloy XP?
    Yes, and that is exactly what I did.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Sweet. Thanks for the review. I really dug the Troy when I rode it at Outerbike. Fast, efficient, yet capable feeling. Do you know what the msrp would be for that build with the carbon frame.

Do you happen to know what it weighs?

tardcore
    It's $3499 to do a carbon xp. It's kind of a hush hush deal so lets keep quite about it )

mtbr member
    Maybe 29-29.5 pounds after I took the front derailleur off and went 1x10.

-Brett

dwt
    mtbr member

2014 Devinci Troy quick review

Quote Originally Posted by pjlama View Post
    It's $3499 to do a carbon xp. It's kind of a hush hush deal so lets keep quite about it )
    Ouch. Sounds a tad porky with a carbon frame and w/o a dropper post. Did I miss what fork, wheels and tires you're running?

I got my Jamis down to about 27 lbs, which, also using a 1X10 drivetrain, sure helps going up. I would need lighter bike than 29 lbs or go 1X11
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    It comes with the Pike fork and the shock is Fox Float CTD boost valve w/ trail adjust. I think that is pretty stellar stuff there. One of the biggest reasons I went with the XP build is to get the Pike.

The wheels are kinda heavy since they are just cheaper sets. Something Like Jalco XM420. This bike is not built to be the lightest thing on market and it still weighs less than my previous 26" bike that had less travel. And don't forget about the Lifetime warranty!

-Brett

tardcore
    Where are you Brett? My LBS is thinking December for a carbon XP. I'd rather not wait but I have to sell some stuff off to finance it anyway, I don't need an extra DH frame or 26" wheels or the giant tool box filled with bike parts in my garage...

mtbr member
    I am in Tennessee. I got the bike from Billy Goat bikes In Asheville, NC. What shop is your LBS?

-Brett

tardcore
    Bikeworks in Albuquerque. Hmmmmm, I wanna Troy!!!!!

mtbr member
    I'm curious to find out from those of you that own / ridden the Troy if it could be the right bike for a guy coming off a carbon Nomad whose a DH'r at heart but likes to climb?

mtbr member
    I am a DHer at heart for sure. I dont like pedaling very much, but I try to have as much fun doing it as possible. I can not compare it to a nomad, but I have a Demo as my DH bike. I feel really good on this thing going down the hills, it has a great plush feel when the shock is in the descend mode. I have not hit anything real steep/technical yet though.

To me it pedals great, but that is comparing it to two different Kona trail bikes I have had in the past. Even with running a 34t chain ring, the only time I have had a problem going uphill was because of me being out of shape and out of breath, haha.

All in all, it could be the right one. It would be best if you had a shop close by/a buddy that would let you try it.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjlama View Post
    Bikeworks in Albuquerque. Hmmmmm, I wanna Troy!!!!!
    Ok, your a bit far! He still may be able to get one out there though!

-Brett

mtbr member
    Thank you Carraig042 - that's helpful and gets me one step closer to deciding but I'll take my question a little further for more context.

I'm currently having an internal struggle.....My nomad was stolen a couple of weeks ago and I'm in the market for a new bike. I loved my nomad but there were times I wished I had a more flickable/fun bike not to mention a little faster for some of the enduro races I've entered in the past.

Ultimately I'm looking for a frame that allows me to climb faster but not loose any speed on the downhills allowing me to go down some steep and deep trails. Most simply put, like everyone else in this forum, l'm looking for the Holy Grail.

Right now I'm deciding between the carbon Mach 6 and carbon Troy. For frame of reference I was planning to install the DB air on the Troy but stick with the fox on Mach 6 based upon my conversations with Pivot. I've looked at all of the other bikes out there (read all of Krob's reviews, thank you by the way!) but these are the only two frames that are available right now and appear to have great reviews. I realize I'm comparing a 155mm bike to 140mm bike and maynot be construed as an apples to apples comparison but I'm looking for the frame that best covers the range of riding I like and puts the biggest smile on my face. In the past I've had just as much fun on my old 4-1/2" Blur 4x bike as I've had on my Nomad - their both just as capable as one another in any riding condition but they're different nonetheless.

Any and all thoughts about ride impressions are welcome!

mtbr member
    If you like VPP then don't discount the Bronson. It climbs way better than a Nomad and gives up zero to it on the downhills, love the way that bike handles (was really surprised as I had no intentions of going 650b until I rode one). And, FWIW, the Mach 6 and Troy were on my short list too but I wasn't going to be able to afford the Mach 6 and the Devinci is a lil short on travel for my tastes (I'm certain they are coming up with a 650b 160mm travel bike soon but I don't want to wait when I can get a Bronson cheap).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I actually tested the Bronson - while it seemed to handle fine and capable I just didn't feel at home on it. It felt more like I was sitting on it instead of inside it, if that makes sense. I also tested a Mach 6 as well (parking lot test) which felt good fit wise, but without riding it on a trail I cannot form a true opinion.

I'm very fortunate given my current situation, price is not a concern for me, whichever bike I buy will be have a custom build.

Custom build...haha

Buy the Mach 6.

mtbr member
    Any particular reason you feel the Mach 6 is the one?

Custom build in the way that I will purchase the parts that suit my needs individually.

tardcore
    Nice troll.

I think many would agree that Mach 6 is one of the best all-arounders on the market. If I had the money, I'd be one on. I don't have the money, so I'm not. You do, so you should be. Unless you find it's too much bike for you, in which case there are lighter options with less travel.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast