Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

2014 27.5s are XC or All Mtn, what about "Trail" ?

Most of the manufacturers building 27.5 bikes for 2014 have lightweight 32/120mm "XC" and heavier 34/150mm "all mountain/enduro" models in their line-up, but there seems to be a gap for those of us who ride trails which are rougher than a groomed XC race course but minus the big drops and intense downhill w/extreme terrain found in "All Mtn" riding. I wish one of them would come out with a frame/bike designed more towards a 32/140mm fork w/matching shock, which would seem perfect for a 27.5 "Trail" bike...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So far there is the Yeti SB75 and 575, Trek Remedy and the Giant Trance that I know of. They are out there and there will be more as companies transition from the 26".
    Coqui Cyclery Race Team
    Giant XTC 27.5
    Yeti ASR-SL

mtbr member
    What? Have you been paying attention? 5010/Bantam, Sight, Trance, Thunderbolt, Remedy...etc, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Transition Bandit 27.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Turner Flux is designed for 120-140mm fork.

I'm getting one for the wife. Will run a White Bros Loop 32 x 140.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrocks View Post
    Transition Bandit 27.5
    I don't see it on their website

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    What? Have you been paying attention? 5010/Bantam, Sight, Trance, Thunderbolt, Remedy...etc, etc.
    The Solo is the definition of a trail bike. You could say the same for the Thunderbolt even though it's a tad more to the XC side.

mtbr member
    Man, 2014 is the year for options in 27.5/650b wheel bikes, pretty much everything covered by someone this year. Last year it was all mountain or bikes with over 120mm travel, kind of nice that there is a big crop of 100-120mm bikes now.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The Giant Trance Advanced, Trek Remedy and Norco Sight 27.5 do seem more towards Trail (w/CTD the Talas fork is somewhat un-necessary on the Trance). The Thunderbolt is an XC model with 120mm travel and a low BB (20mm drop) that doesn't provide enough clearance (IMO) - same goes for the Santa Cruz 5010 and Bantam at 125mm travel (115mm measured w/5010) and Yeti SB75 (127mm travel) that also have low BBs. I also looked at Scott which has the Spark (32/120mm) and Genius (34/150mm). The 2014 models are evolving but I may give it until 2015 to see how things settle before jumping in.

mtbr member
    jkovaly - the trend is towards lower BBs. You may actually be better off with a conversion. My Nickel is at 13.8" and works nicely for the East coast trails I ride.

If you're interested, I could be convinced to part with my Blur LT2 frame...
    It was a great conversion, but I went for simplicity and a longer TT.

mtbr member

Re: 2014 27.5s are XC or All Mtn, what about "Trail" ?

Quote Originally Posted by jkovaly View Post
    The Giant Trance Advanced, Trek Remedy and Norco Sight 27.5 do seem more towards Trail (w/CTD the Talas fork is somewhat un-necessary on the Trance). The Thunderbolt is an XC model with 120mm travel and a low BB (20mm drop) that doesn't provide enough clearance (IMO) - same goes for the Santa Cruz 5010 and Bantam at 125mm travel (115mm measured w/5010) and Yeti SB75 (127mm travel) that also have low BBs. I also looked at Scott which has the Spark (32/120mm) and Genius (34/150mm). The 2014 models are evolving but I may give it until 2015 to see how things settle before jumping in.
    Check out the Devinci Troy.
    140mm rear
    Carbon option $2400 for frame
    Aluminum made in Canada, XP model full bike $3K (and that includes RS Pike!)
    Lifetime warranty.
    Adjustable geometry -
    BB can be 13.3 or 13.5"
    ST at 72.4 or 73
    HT angle changes from 67 to 67.5
    Longer TT
    Split pivot suspension
    Short CS at 16.9"

All my bikes are Santa Cruz and I am still going to demo a Solo, but this Troy looks good...
    Last edited by jazzanova; 11-06-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Wrench
    I'm going to go ahead and nitpick your nitpick.

If you can't ride your local trails on a 120mm bike because you require more travel, either get better or get a bigger bike.

If you don't think a bigger bike is needed for your local trails, get a 120mm bike and get better.

Honestly, 120mm being classified as "XC" is a bit much. That's more of a fun bike than anything.

And to be honest, I ride my 100mm Hardtail 650b on trails that I usually only see 120mm+ F/S bikes on.

So pick a bike. Then, set it up for you. The second part is very important. Proper bike fit and geometry trumps all wheelsize debates.
    Most of the manufacturers building 27.5 bikes for 2014 have lightweight 32/120mm "XC" and heavier 34/150mm "all mountain/enduro" models in their line-up, but there seems to be a gap for those of us who ride trails which are rougher than a groomed XC race course but minus the big drops and intense downhill w/extreme terrain found in "All Mtn" riding. I wish one of them would come out with a frame/bike designed more towards a 32/140mm fork w/matching shock, which would seem perfect for a 27.5 "Trail" bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post

If you can't ride your local trails on a 120mm bike because you require more travel, either get better or get a bigger bike.

If you don't think a bigger bike is needed for your local trails, get a 120mm bike and get better.

Honestly, 120mm being classified as "XC" is a bit much. That's more of a fun bike than anything.

And to be honest, I ride my 100mm Hardtail 650b on trails that I usually only see 120mm+ F/S bikes on.

So pick a bike. Then, set it up for you. The second part is very important. Proper bike fit and geometry trumps all wheelsize debates.
    Come on man, that 3/4 inch makes all the difference.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    What a decision!! I am jumping into the 27.5 FS trail market and have so many good choices Yeti SB75 seems to leading at this point but who knows by March when I want to buy!

Wrench
    You lose races by 3/4th an inch. For sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Come on man, that 3/4 inch makes all the difference.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Ye, my thoughts exactly. I dunno where the OP has been looking...
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Jamis Dakar XCT, just look to the right side of this page.
    Also Transition Bandit 650b, Trek Remedy, and the Trance 650b for a few.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post

I demo'd the 5010c and Rocky Mtn Altitude back-to-back for 4hrs over an excellent mile long section of nearby "test Trail" earlier this week, lots of fairly steep technical sections covered with medium size rocks, loose dirt, erosion, switchbacks and wooden log waterbars. I agree that if I plan on buying a 27.5 w/lower BB and less suspension I will need to get better, especially at timing pedal strokes over obstacles. But as much as I would like to, I will never ride like Steve Peat in that Santa Cruz 5010 video! Of course if I get a bike with at least 13.5" BB clearance and 140mm of travel I won't need to As far as the bike comparison, they each had different qualities I liked and some I didn't - although overall I liked both far better than my current (7yr old) 26in bike. The 1/2in BB drop between them really did make a difference - no pedal strikes with the Rocky Mtn although the 5010c was more stable and rolled over pretty much everything. Next up is the Scott Genius and Spark in a couple of weeks...

mtbr member
    You owe it to yourself to add an Ibis HDR 650 to your list. More travel than a 5010, plus a higher bottom bracket and still handles like a dream. Oh and the price for a carbon HDR with X01 build is only $100 more than an aluminum 5010 (and weighs a few pounds less).

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I demo'd the 5010c and Rocky Mtn Altitude back-to-back for 4hrs over an excellent mile long section of nearby "test Trail" earlier this week, lots of fairly steep technical sections covered with medium size rocks, loose dirt, erosion, switchbacks and wooden log waterbars. I agree that if I plan on buying a 27.5 w/lower BB and less suspension I will need to get better, especially at timing pedal strokes over obstacles. But as much as I would like to, I will never ride like Steve Peat in that Santa Cruz 5010 video! Of course if I get a bike with at least 13.5" BB clearance and 140mm of travel I won't need to As far as the bike comparison, they each had different qualities I liked and some I didn't - although overall I liked both far better than my current (7yr old) 26in bike. The 1/2in BB drop between them really did make a difference - no pedal strikes with the Rocky Mtn although the 5010c was more stable and rolled over pretty much everything. Next up is the Scott Genius and Spark in a couple of weeks...
    Then you can have a Blur TRc and convert it to 27.5 you'll have 120 mm travel with 13.6" bb height. Don't try rear tire more than 2.2" though (depends on tire). Or get Ibis HDR 27.5" at 135mm travel -convertible to 26" 160mm.
    But honestly what is this trail and am all about if you're not gonna leave the ground at all? Their weight difference are more on your gear, wheel and tire selection.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Man, I remember when over 3" of travel was DH ready. Now you can't ride a bike in the woods without exactly 5.5", and apparently 4.7" is an XC race-only bike.

I'd focus less on the amount of travel, and more on the qualities of the bike. There are some amazing bikes out there that don't fall into a specific niche. If you like them enough, pick your parts out that'll make it more XC or more DH and don't over-analyze things. A 110mm rear travel bike with a 140mm fork is really capable for aggressive trail riding, and a 160mm travel frame can be built up with lightweight parts and still be an XC destroyer.

I know people will disagree with me, but I still feel that the little bit of added rollover with 650b reduces the need for excess travel, just like a 29er. A 110mm 29er is just as capable as a 140mm 650b and a 26" 150mm bike, in my opinion. You just carry less travel and weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, maybe the categories the bike companies market specific bikes for are getting a bit too segmented. Regarding rollover, most riders I talked to didn't notice much difference between the 26" and 27.5", although I surely did, especially over obstacles while riding uphill. But I am not looking at buying a new 27.5 just for wheelsize, I was in need of a new bike anyway and the timing just worked out. I was able to bottom out the 130mm once or twice but not the 150mm, so i know the range I need, depending on other suspension factors I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Peden View Post
    What a decision!! I am jumping into the 27.5 FS trail market and have so many good choices Yeti SB75 seems to leading at this point but who knows by March when I want to buy!
    Agreed. The Yeti is really yanking on my bank account!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, maybe the categories the bike companies market specific bikes for are getting a bit too segmented. Regarding rollover, most riders I talked to didn't notice much difference between the 26" and 27.5", although I surely did, especially over obstacles while riding uphill. But I am not looking at buying a new 27.5 just for wheelsize, I was in need of a new bike anyway and the timing just worked out. I was able to bottom out the 130mm once or twice but not the 150mm, so i know the range I need, depending on other suspension factors I guess.

So you're basing you're bike choice by something that happened once or twice? Not a real smart way to go, you buy for 90% of your riding not 10%. I ride a 100mm TBc, yet I've taken it off 2-3ft drops easily if not higher.

I looked up buffalo creek trails, honestly didn't really see anything that even really needed 120mm travel.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the push in the past 3 or 4 years has been all about "AM" and "more travel is always better". thus, those types of bikes got all of the marketing attention and forum cred.

I've ridden a bunch of bikes and I'll say that the latest geometry trend for 120/130 bikes being low and slack is a freaking home run. I don't see a huge need for 160mm bikes unless you are really hitting it hard with lots of air time. i could only be happier with my ASR5 if the bb was a touch higher but fatty tires get me there with a touch of added weight & roll resistance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast