Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: 2013 Scott 27.5

derp
    Nothing wrong with going bigger and faster, my only beef with them is that most riders ( at least the one i have to deal with ) rely on the big travel/big wheels to mash thru things but when the stuff gets too technical for the wheels/travel to compensate, they choke and crash or even worse, cause others to crash.

I've been seeing this happening this way too often these days.

Baby Bear is in the house

Outside mag

Their initial ride impressions HERE
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    Nothing wrong with going bigger and faster, my only beef with them is that most riders ( at least the one i have to deal with ) rely on the big travel/big wheels to mash thru things but when the stuff gets too technical for the wheels/travel to compensate, they choke and crash or even worse, cause others to crash.

I've been seeing this happening this way too often these days.
    Agreed. There's no substitute for learning and earning skills on smaller wheels and a HT before moving up to more suspension and bigger wheels. If you can do it with skill in tough technical terrain on a 26'er HT, chances are you can do it better on a 5" 26'er. That way you can feel and appreciate the travel rather that learning to ride with it, where it can turn into a crutch.

As far as wheel size, as a rider with 20 yrs of experience, I admit I can clean stuff on my 5" 650b that I could not, or was shaky on riding a 26" HT or even a 4" 26'er. But again, having learned on a 26'er, I can feel and use the wheel size difference and suspension to my advantage.

So it is indeed a bit sketchy to think that many riders are learning on bigger wheels and/or longer suspension without "earning" skills first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Their initial ride impressions HERE
    I wonder what kind of trails they put the bikes through when they prize the lesser weight of the 32mm fox on the 900 over the 34mm fox on the 700 but have nothing to say about the stiffness of the front/rear ends of those bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The same goes from riding a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Here's a comparison of the suspension curves with the previous generation Genius. Looks like you won't be able to use aftermarket shocks without degrading pedalling efficiency.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6