mtbr member
    Oct 2012

2013 Norco Range - Buy or Skip

MTBR,

I know the Range has been discussed a few times around the forums - I have read each and every thread on it. The general consensus is that it is a great bike.

I'm looking at picking up my first FS bike for the next season. I currently ride a 29" Kona and want a smaller wheel size. Although I've only ridden a 26" once - I feel that the 650b wheel size will fit me better. The Kona I have is great, but I think it is holding me back some by being too big and not aggressive nor nimble enough for my riding.

After looking around quite a bit, I believe I am going to purchase a 2013 Norco Range B3: Range Killer B All Mountain Mountain Bikes Norco Bicycles[1]

Can anyone comment on:
    -What other similar/better AM alternatives do I have to the Range for the under $3,000 price point?
    -Is buying the 2013 better off than buying the 2012 or 2011 model?
    -The build / spec of the bike; is it worth the money ($2,899)?

Thank you very much in advance! Sorry if this has been beaten into the ground, but beyond the Yeti SB26 (which is 26") I haven't seen many 650b alternatives to this bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zk6760 View Post
    -What other similar/better AM alternatives do I have to the Range for the under $3,000 price point?
    Other 160mm, 650b alternatives less than $3k for the complete bike? I don't think you have any. Most of the other 650b bikes are in the 140-152mm range, and the frame alone on many (Intense Tracer 275, Intense Carbine 275, Foes F275, Turner Burner, Ventana Zeus) are $2,200+. You may want to look at the 150mm Rocky Mountain Altitude 730 at $2,850. There is also the 150mm Scott Genius 740 at $3,150.

-Is buying the 2013 better off than buying the 2012 or 2011 model?
    Well, if you want a 650b Range, then you have to buy the 2013.

-The build / spec of the bike; is it worth the money ($2,899)?
    Can't decide that one for you. They all probably have similar component specs.

orthonormal
    The 2011 and 2012 Range both have 26" wheels so if you're set on 650B, that answers one of your questions. All of the Norcos are spec'd well for the price IMO.

Other bikes to consider would be the Norco Sight, Rocky Mountain Altitude and Scott Genius, all of which have a little less travel and will be a little lighter. All of these are available with a spec that puts them around the same price point.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks Chief and Andy. I will look into both of those bikes.

To followup - does the Range sacrifice quality when it comes to the front sus? In order words, do the other brands have a stronger fork to offset the cost of having 10mm less travel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    To followup - does the Range sacrifice quality when it comes to the front sus? In order words, do the other brands have a stronger fork to offset the cost of having 10mm less travel?
    Norco Range Killer B-3: X-Fusion Vengeance RC (36mm)
    Scott Genius 740: Fox 34 Float Evolution CTD (34mm)
    RM Altitude 730: Rockshox Revelation RL Solo Air (32mm)

I've heard great things about the X-Fusion Vengeance and the Fox 34 line. I've also heard a couple reviews that were not favorable to the Fox 34. In general, I've read that the Revelation RCT3 is superior to the RL. In my opinion, having never ridden any of the three, the Norco and the Scott have a distinct advantage over the Rocky Mountain in the fork department.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thank you sir. I appreciate the followup!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I bought a 2012 Jamis 650B Comp, it was $2150.00, came with Stan's Flow Wheel set with the stock X-Fusion fork. I love this bike and can't beat the price. The new batch of 27.5's look great, but pricey. My ride with a few upgrades I made via a local clubs classifieds has me set up with Stan Flow's Wheel Set, XT shifters, XTR deraillieys, XT cassette, new chain, carbon Monkey Lite bars, Ergon grips, Thompson set back Elite Post all for around $2500.00. And I haven't touched my Carbon Trek Top Fuel since the 27.5 showed up at my door. Good luck!

dwt
    mtbr member
    In terms of suspension the Jamis @ 130mm is a trail bike and closer to the Norco Sight B (140mm) than the Range B. The Range @ 160mm is full on AM. TheTurner Burner is 140mm and the prototypes were specced with 32mm Rock Shox Revelation fork . The Scott Genius is 150mm, 34mm Fox fork. The Intense Tracer and Carbine are 155mm also with the Fox 34mm fork

The RM Altitude and the Scott Genius have adjustable HTA & BB height. All the other bikes have < 68 deg. HTA except for the Jamis, which has a very XC 69 deg.

So there is a lot to pick through in the 650b Trail and AM offerings for 2013. There is also Ventana Zeus and Ibis Mojo HD.

Picking the right bike and spec at the right price will be tough. Turner Frame only, 32 mm fork @ 140mm sus. with SRAM XX 1 drivetrain is what I'm thinking. 27.5" Trail bike @ 28 lbs or less. Fast up, fast enough down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    My next bike is a Range in 650. Or an Intense Carbine 275. I've been on 650 wheels for three years now and am ready for a dedicated bike. I'm bit concerned about the VPP harshness but the carbon has me excited. The Norco has a chainstay pivot and that's more my style.

You don't have a ton of choices right now...

mk

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    My next bike is a Range in 650. Or an Intense Carbine 275. I've been on 650 wheels for three years now and am ready for a dedicated bike. I'm bit concerned about the VPP harshness but the carbon has me excited. The Norco has a chainstay pivot and that's more my style.

mk
    You could build up the new Carbon Rocky Altitude beefy and slack and you also get the chain stay pivot, all the adjustable geometry and an ISCG mount which the Intense doesn't have.

I'll be demoing the new Altitude this weekend. No idea of the model or size that's gonna be there.

That tester guy Leel goes into mumbley mode when he talks about the new Range though. He really seems to like that bike.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post

mk
    What are you thoughts on the differences between the Range and 275?

orthonormal
    What are you thoughts on the differences between the Range and 275?
    The Carbine 275 frame alone is $2799.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    The Carbine 275 frame alone is $2799.
    Hey Andy - where did you find that? I looked earlier and that I saw the whole bike for just sub-$3k. Now I'm thinking that may be an older model, but I can't find pricing for 2013.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The Range will be available at shops in November. Check with your local Norco dealer to see which models/sizes they are expecting.

The new Sight Killer-B will be arriving late November/early December.

The 2 bikes are pretty similar in style and appearance, but do ride way different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcoNorco View Post
    The Range will be available at shops in November. Check with your local Norco dealer to see which models/sizes they are expecting.

The new Sight Killer-B will be arriving late November/early December.

The 2 bikes are pretty similar in style and appearance, but do ride way different.
    Thanks for the plug Norco. Local Norco dealer is far and few (4.5 hours from me), but I have been in contact with them asking many questions.

I was told that they won't expect their ranges until late Jan / early Feb. Any thoughts on that?

orthonormal
    Hey Andy - where did you find that? I looked earlier and that I saw the whole bike for just sub-$3k. Now I'm thinking that may be an older model, but I can't find pricing for 2013.
    Fanatik

Hammerhead

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

im going for the cube stereo

66.5 ha 12.3kg for the lowest model out from the box,the stereo race
    full carbon full xt dt wheels and so
    around 3700$

they going to be one of the best 650b 160mm bikes out there

think about that option

First look: Cube Stereo Super HPC SL 160

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loolilon View Post
    66.5 ha 12.3kg for the lowest model out from the box,the stereo race
    full carbon full xt dt wheels and so
    around 3700$

they going to be one of the best 650b 160mm bikes out there

think about that option

First look: Cube Stereo Super HPC SL 160
    Looked good until I saw that all 4 sizes have 17.4" chainstays = fail, IMHO. May be good for Euro-touring in the Alps but no thanks for light FR use/Northshore type trail riding.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!