Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Kona Explosif 650b coming

97K views 258 replies 69 participants last post by  thechez 
#1 ·
Anyone hear of Kona's soon to be released 650b Explosif? From what I've heard from a US Retailer, it's going to be based off of the 2012 Kona Steely. A Google search turns up some UK retailers with an image of a 2013 Kona Honzo photoshopped with an Explosif logo. I hope it's based on the Steely like I heard instead of the Honzo. I prefer the burlier build and the clearance of the rear yoke/chainstay. Here's an image taken from one of the retailers...

Kona, Explosif 650 B 2013 Mountain Bike from only £1,499.00. Free UK Delivery | Wheelies

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
OHmygosh!!! My dream hardtail is finally a reality!!! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I've been wanting a Honzo 650B for the longest time!
What a totally awesome way for Kona to break into 650B.
Excellent find! Do keep us up-to-date on this :)

edit: that's a Photoshopped 2012 Honzo

#11 ·
Specifications...

Frame Material Kona Cromoly Butted
Sizes 15", 17", 19", 21"
Rear Shock N/A
Fork RockShox Revelation RL 120mm Tapered w/15mm Axle
Crankarms Sram X7 GXP
Chainring ?? probably 36t?.
B/B Sram X7 GXP
Pedals Shimano M520 Clipless
Chain Sram Powerchain 1031
Freewheel Sram Powerglide 1030 11-36t 10spd
F/D Sram X7
R/D Sram X9
Shifters Sram X7
Brake Calipers Avid Elixir 5
Front Brake Rotor Avid HS1 180mm
Rear Brake Rotor Avid HS1 160mm
Brake Levers Avid Elixir 5
Headset ZST NO. 10/7B/44
Handlebar Kona XC/BC Riser
Stem Kona XC/Road
Seatpost Kona Double Clamp w/offset
Seat Clamp Kona Clamp
Grips Kona Race Light Lock-on
Saddle WTB Volt Comp
Front Hub King Kong
Rear Hub Formula
Spokes Sanvik Stainless 15g fr/14g rr
Rims WTB Speed Disc i23
Front Tire Maxxis Ardent 650B 27.5x2.25"folding
Rear Tire Maxxis CrossMark 650B 27.5x2.1" folding
Paint Color Raw Steel with Orange & Black
Extras N/A

#15 ·
Heard back from Kona finally about this bike and here is the info...

"The Explosif will be available to the US market. It is a late season arrival and we haven’t published all of the specs yet. It will be trail geometry though, with a moderately slack head angle and short-ish stays. It will also be available as a frame only."

Better yet....frame only $500

Might just be my first HT

#16 ·
Heard back from Kona finally about this bike and here is the info...

"The Explosif will be available to the US market. It is a late season arrival and we haven't published all of the specs yet. It will be trail geometry though, with a moderately slack head angle and short-ish stays. It will also be available as a frame only."

Better yet....frame only $500

Might just be my first HT
Good stuff :thumbsup:

#25 ·
Emails I've exchanged with Kona said it will be more xc oriented:

"We are making a 650B explosive… it is quite a different beast from the Honzo, bit more XC. They are still finalizing some of the frame attrabutes as far as I know. "

This was on 10/30/12.

#27 ·
Now here's what I got from Kona recently

"The Explosif will be available to the US market. It is a late season arrival and we haven't published all of the specs yet. It will be trail geometry though, with a moderately slack head angle and short-ish stays. It will also be available as a frame only."

Hmmm, I'd be very happy with 68 degrees.

#29 ·
Little more info I received today from Kona

"The frame will be raw steel with a phosphate dip and clearcoat over the top.

The specs will be similar to the Honzo. Rear wheel has sliders and is 135x10. 44mm headtube drawn around the external lower cup so you can run a tapered fork."

Sounds good but still would like to see some solid #'s

#34 · (Edited)
Awesome find Skidad:thumbsup: No geo numbers yet, but looks like the offspring of a Steely and Honzo. I want!!!

Looks like it has 2 bottle mounts, substantial HT length (presumably for front triangle stiffness), and a lighter tube set. I wish they went burlier and the Honzo gusset would've been nice.

#38 ·
I just put down a deposit on one of these frames at my local shop. I can confirm the $500 frame-only option..... Delivery is expected in March.
Hopefully the bicycle gods will be smiling on me and my LBS will give me similar news when I contact them today. The big appeal here for me besides the steel frame is the 44mm headtube which means I can finally stop avoiding tapered forks.

I guess my Voodoo Bokor will be going on the auction block really soon....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.