Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Jamis 650B

mountainfreak
    Aug 2009

2013 Jamis 650B

Hello All....

Our first official demo events will be Interbike Outdoor Demo Sept. 17-18th and Outerbike in Moab UT Oct. 3rd-7th. Hope to see you there!

The 2013 Dragon 650 and Nemesis 650 are already in stock so sales reps have samples on hand for regional demo's and dealers have them at the shops!

See you out on the trails!

Some short spec...

Dakar XCT 650 Pro
    130mm travel, 12x142 rear
    Rock Shox Revelation 650B RCT3 fork
    Rock Shox Monarch RT3 shock
    American Classic tubeless
    SRAM XO 2x10 (38/24) w/ Type 2 RD
    SRAM XO brakes
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
    Crank Brothers cockpit
    MSRP $4800. USD

Dakar XCT 650 Comp
    130mm travel, 12x142 rear
    Rock Shox Revelation 650B RL fork
    Rock Shox Monarch R shock
    Alex XD Lite rims/Formula sealed hubs
    Shimano SLX 3x10
    Shimano M445 brakes
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
    Crank Brothers cockpit
    MSRP $2800. USD

Dragon 650
    Reynolds 853
    White Brothers Loop TCR 650B 120mm travel
    American Classic tubeless
    Shimano SLX 3x10
    Avid Elixir 5
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
    Crank Brothers cockpit
    MSRP $2900. USD

Nemesis 650
    Kinesis 7005 alloy
    XFusion Velvet RL 650B 100mm travel
    Alex XD Lite rims/Formula sealed hubs
    SRAM X9/X7 2x10 (39/26)
    Avid Elixir 5
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
    Ritchey cockpit
    MSRP $1900. USD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Jamis 650B-13_dakarxct650pro.jpg  

2013 Jamis 650B-13_dakarxct650comp.jpg  

2013 Jamis 650B-13_dragon650.jpg  

2013 Jamis 650B-13_nemesis.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I so want to go to Outerbike.

dwt
    mtbr member
    You've got to sponsor a strong pro on the Dakar Pro at the Whole Enchilada Enduro Sept 28. I bet a podium would there would certainly help you at Outerbike the following week.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    I like the new color for the nemesis, you had a 15% ($250) increase in price on this bike from last year, supply must be in short supply.
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

Terminal Pholocity

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Kinda surprised (and disappointed) they didn't go to 140mm travel on the Dakar XCT bikes. I also prefer the curved top tube of the 2012/2011 models over the straight tube of the new bike. 12 x 142 is good. Wonder if the HA is the same 69 degrees? I'd prefer to see that at 68 also.

Why does the Dragon not get a replaceable hanger? Doesn't make sense to me (maybe because I live in new England with so many rocks and everything gets hit)
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mountainfreak
    Aug 2009
    skidad... The decision to go to the straight and larger top tube and also larger down tube on the 2013 model was to increase both lateral and torsional stiffness of the front triangle. If stand over is a concern, it's only changed very slightly over the 2012 design and actually now has better stand over clearance on the 19" and 21" than before.

The chain stay size has also been increased 25% in addition to the 142mm drop outs for matching rear end stiffness.

Noted on the replaceable hanger for the Dragons. Traditionally with our steel frames it has been easy to bend back a tweaked hanger without any issue since you don't get the "snap" like alloy. But something to take into consideration for the future.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Kinda surprised (and disappointed) they didn't go to 140mm travel on the Dakar XCT bikes. I also prefer the curved top tube of the 2012/2011 models over the straight tube of the new bike. 12 x 142 is good. Wonder if the HA is the same 69 degrees? I'd prefer to see that at 68 also.

Why does the Dragon not get a replaceable hanger? Doesn't make sense to me (maybe because I live in new England with so many rocks and everything gets hit)
    funny, i prefer the new TT design over last year's. I wasnt a fan of that curved TT at all...just aesthetically not pleasing to the eye IMHO
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

Terminal Pholocity

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal@Jamis View Post
    skidad... The decision to go to the straight and larger top tube and also larger down tube on the 2013 model was to increase both lateral and torsional stiffness of the front triangle. If stand over is a concern, it's only changed very slightly over the 2012 design and actually now has better stand over clearance on the 19" and 21" than before.

The chain stay size has also been increased 25% in addition to the 142mm drop outs for matching rear end stiffness.

Noted on the replaceable hanger for the Dragons. Traditionally with our steel frames it has been easy to bend back a tweaked hanger without any issue since you don't get the "snap" like alloy. But something to take into consideration for the future.

Thanks!
    Thanks for the info on the structural changes which sound good. The straight top tube is a personal thing. I like it on the Dragon and Nemesis but to me it looks to "old school" on a 2013 full suspension bike. Just a little bend or swoop I think would look better.

BTW...is the new 2013 rear triangle compatible with the 2011/2012 frames?

MTB B'dos
    Bikes look nice, have to agree, like the straight TT much more than the old curved one. Curious if you guys have any front on/45 degree shots showing fork clearance over those Racing Ralphs? In my experience with RS (with both 26" and 29" forks) they have minimal clearance compared to Fox, Marz and Manitou, which really sucks if you have to deal with mud on a regular basis.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No carbon frames? At close to 28 lbs. the Dakar XCT Pro is a little portly compared to its 130mm competition.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Dissolved member
    Nice bikes. I like the straight lines of the front triangle a lot.

just some guy
    Glad to see the curved tubes go. Id' like to see the Dakota D650b Team and the Dakar XCR 650b Pro, those would interest me.

mtbr member
    Wait, what happened to the AMT? AM is the sweet spot for 650B.....

(My 2010 XAM 2 was built like it was designed for 650B!)

Uncle
    Another nod of approval here for the straight tubes. Seems like everyone went apeshit for "the Nomad look" the last few years. I even recall reading a few years ago, some non-Jamis market hyperbole about how the curved tubes increase stiffness, lol. The fastest (er, lightest) way to get there is with straight lines me thinks.

At any rate, I'd like a Nemesis please & thank you.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Is that purple on the Dragon? Yech
    The Shamrock green is so much nicer.
    And $2900 for a steel hardtail??? Come on!
    I agree about the Nemesis though; does look better than before.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Life Is Short
    Cool bikes, yeah $2900 is a bit pricey for a HT, though its 853 and is outfitted with possibly
    the best 650b fork in its class (I doubt White Bros gave Jamis much of a manufacture discount
    for them as WB only has 3 guys making forks there in Grand Junction & they take turns answering phones and emails )

Super props to Jamis. Saving up for a Dragon frame to putt around town with.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Nother vote back to the preference of curved tubes - loved how the 2011-12 yr Jamis models looked. Not that I would kick these off the cliff or anything. Also seems like growing msrp is another trend with new bikes these days... perhaps the dropping value of the dollar? I guess we'll see what they really sell for soon enough.

Still lovin' my 2010 Sixfifty B2 frames.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sad that the raciest bike of the bunch (Nemesis) gets stuck with boat anchor parts again. Two models would be nice, one with X9/XO, Stan's rims and lighter bars, stem, post and saddle, and then a entry version with X5/X7 etc. to meet a price point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Disappointed that there are no sliding drops or EBB for the Dragon. That thing screams single speed to me. Still want one though

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    You've got to sponsor a strong pro on the Dakar Pro at the Whole Enchilada Enduro Sept 28. I bet a podium would there would certainly help you at Outerbike the following week.
    I note you have a sponsored XC Team. Some of those boys should be able to handle Enduro on a Dakar Pro. Do it!
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

650b me
    Sal, any idea what the weight is on a Dragon 650 frame size medium? I really like the geometry. It's very similar to what I built at UBI.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    No carbon frames? At close to 28 lbs. the Dakar XCT Pro is a little portly compared to its 130mm competition.
    Especially when they already have this beauty. All that's different from this 26" carbon Pro XCT frame to 650B would be a redesigned rear triangle. Heck, they could have used the new improved aluminum triangle and called it good. Problem is that Jamis MSRP"s are just to high IMO and scare potential buyers away. Oh yeah, that slightly curved top tube looks much better to me

Or how about doing this 4" travel XC full 650B compliant frame in carbon (actually designed with 650B in mind although it came through in 26" guise last year) How many really new about this frame that wanted a 4" travel bike? Perhaps to heavy so make it carbon.

mountainfreak
    Aug 2009
    golden boy... the 17" Dragon 650 frame weight is 4.5lbs

Everyone else.... thanks for all comments. Keep them coming, we love to hear it!

fyi... we have many 650B designs still in development that I think will satisfy everyone's requests in the future!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I note you have a sponsored XC Team. Some of those boys should be able to handle Enduro on a Dakar Pro. Do it!
    Jamis riders Rotem Ishay and Adam Snyder were both at the Kennebec Pass Enduro. I would guess they will be at the Enchilada as well.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    More than one person has called me up and said "build me a Jamis Dragon" over the course of the last year.

Those things rule!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast