Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Jamis 650B

20K views 63 replies 35 participants last post by  kikoraa 
#1 ·
Hello All....

Our first official demo events will be Interbike Outdoor Demo Sept. 17-18th and Outerbike in Moab UT Oct. 3rd-7th. Hope to see you there!

The 2013 Dragon 650 and Nemesis 650 are already in stock so sales reps have samples on hand for regional demo's and dealers have them at the shops!

See you out on the trails!

Some short spec...

Dakar XCT 650 Pro
130mm travel, 12x142 rear
Rock Shox Revelation 650B RCT3 fork
Rock Shox Monarch RT3 shock
American Classic tubeless
SRAM XO 2x10 (38/24) w/ Type 2 RD
SRAM XO brakes
Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
Crank Brothers cockpit
MSRP $4800. USD

Dakar XCT 650 Comp
130mm travel, 12x142 rear
Rock Shox Revelation 650B RL fork
Rock Shox Monarch R shock
Alex XD Lite rims/Formula sealed hubs
Shimano SLX 3x10
Shimano M445 brakes
Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
Crank Brothers cockpit
MSRP $2800. USD

Dragon 650
Reynolds 853
White Brothers Loop TCR 650B 120mm travel
American Classic tubeless
Shimano SLX 3x10
Avid Elixir 5
Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
Crank Brothers cockpit
MSRP $2900. USD

Nemesis 650
Kinesis 7005 alloy
XFusion Velvet RL 650B 100mm travel
Alex XD Lite rims/Formula sealed hubs
SRAM X9/X7 2x10 (39/26)
Avid Elixir 5
Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
Ritchey cockpit
MSRP $1900. USD

Attachments

See less See more
#39 ·
I just purchased the 2012 frame set and I am building it up. All that is left is my wheels from Industry 9

Can't wait to ride this bike !!!!

here is the link to the thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/jamis-dakar-pro-650b-build-813806.html

Sal - thank you for offering a complete frame set for the 650B bikes you made my day when I say that and I ordered the very next morning.

ps I like the sloped top tube design reminds me of my Moots Zirkel

#40 ·
Love these bikes, quick question...

Hi Sal and other riders,

This is my first post and I have a question on these models compared to my riding style before I make the jump into one of these models. I started riding steady 2 yrs ago so I bought a trek 4300 (hardtail entry level) to make sure I was going to enjoy biking. Now I'm ready to upgrade. I know I want a 650b from jamis. I'm between the dragon, nemesis or dakar comp. I live in Pennsylvania and like to ride rather aggressive high intensity low volume (2hrs or less) rides that involve cross country, climbs, some rocks, downhill,,,,a bit of everything and I am stuck wondering if I should go full suspension or hardtail and if a hardtail which one. Was wondering if you guys could comment before I make this investment as I want to make the best choice. Not sure if weight is a concern for frame or suspension but I'm 6 ft tall and weigh 220. I want the 650 bc when I test rode a 650 next to a 29 , I like the quick response and handling of the 650 just don't know how they handle on the mtn

Thanks
Rich

#42 ·
Hi Sal and other riders,

This is my first post and I have a question on these models compared to my riding style before I make the jump into one of these models. I started riding steady 2 yrs ago so I bought a trek 4300 (hardtail entry level) to make sure I was going to enjoy biking. Now I'm ready to upgrade. I know I want a 650b from jamis. I'm between the dragon, nemesis or dakar comp. I live in Pennsylvania and like to ride rather aggressive high intensity low volume (2hrs or less) rides that involve cross country, climbs, some rocks, downhill,,,,a bit of everything and I am stuck wondering if I should go full suspension or hardtail and if a hardtail which one. Was wondering if you guys could comment before I make this investment as I want to make the best choice. Not sure if weight is a concern for frame or suspension but I'm 6 ft tall and weigh 220. I want the 650 bc when I test rode a 650 next to a 29 , I like the quick response and handling of the 650 just don't know how they handle on the mtn

Thanks
Rich
I absolutely love hardtails and think that overall they are more fun than full suspension. But, if you can only have one bike, in my opinion it should be a FS. A FS bike can handle a much greater variety of trails because you can just adjust the rear suspension to be stiff for more XC oriented trails, or more plush for rougher trails. A hardtail really limits the type of terrain you can ride on, unless you have some great bike skills.

#41 ·
I convinced myself I "needed" the Dragon last year and after ordering it was concerned I would have buyers remorse after dropping almost 3k on an arguably portly hardtail I didn't really need while my full suspension was long in the tooth and was the bike I really needed to upgrade/replace.

The grin from my first ride hasn't left my face almost 9 months later. The only buyers remorse would have been if they had sliding dropouts on this years model. They didn't, and I like the shamrock green more than the purple so I'm more than happy to have been an early adopter.

Rich: If you are riding the 4300 capably on your trails you'll love the Dragon. Mine has seen it's share of rocks and chunk out here in Arizona - it's my every day, every trail bike. The full suspension comes out once in a blue moon....if that. If you are debating between the Nemesis and Dragon keep in mind the difference in frame material and the head angles. The Dragon is much more an "all mountain" bike than the Nemesis.

#46 ·
Okay so I have had 2 months to ride my 650 Dakar Pro and the bike is really nice. It does extremely well in the tight technical single track and on the small technical downhill's that we have here in Chicago it does extremely well. I can't wait to bring the bike to Colorado next year and see how it does.

So far my only complaint is the Fusion fork it doesn't want to hold air and it leaks oil. I will most likely replace the fork with the Rock Shock version.

#48 ·
Sal -

3 things:

1. Does the 2012 Nemesis have a 135mm rear or a 142mm ?
2. Does the 2012 Nemesis have 9mm QR on the front fork or a 15mm through ?
3. I agree with the earlier post - you should offer 2 price points on the Nemesis
I'm about to buy a close-out 2012 model but will be dumping most of the parts.

#54 ·
I Hope you love the bike as much as I do. After spending a year on a custom Aluminum Epic Comp (with a full S-Works build 23lbs) I truely forgot how much fun riding could was. I was never truly able to get confortable on the bike. My fist problem is I picked the wrong parents so I am only 5' 6" tall and no matter what I did the bike just never felt right.

Now that I am riding this bike it's just a blast. My riding partner rode my bike and he is now ordering the exact same bike for himself.

#56 ·
Did you buy it as a frame only? Otherwise it should have had the Loop fork which is sweet.
Yep I bought it as a Frame & Loop Fork. I like to build bikes from a frame & fork

I am serious considering buying a 2nd version with the Rock Shock fork and doing full carbon on the bike to see if i can get it to 22lb and make it the bike I do more open single track with.

#58 ·
I don't think they offer a Frame & Fork for 2013.

I went to a Jamis demo day yesterday (rode the dragon 650 and Dakar 29er) and the Jamis guy said you could get one of the bikes at least as a frame (can't remember which one we were talking about at the time), but I don't see frame-only on their website.

My friend rode the Dakar 650B Pro and I really wish I had ridden. He loved it. I really loved riding the Dragon though.

#61 ·
Would it still be possible to ge another 2012 frame & fork so I can put it on my latest Sema Project Car

Attachments

Reactions: Cobretti
#63 ·
Interesting, but I can't say I'd feel safe driving down the road with my expensive bike hanging off the side of the car like that, one close call with another vehicle and :( To me a better and more realistic solution would be to get a rear glass made with a sliding window in it and mount the rack inside the car and on the trunk.

#62 ·
I test rode a 2013 Dragon 650B Sat...I have limited riding experience, but it felt great as soon as I got on it. But I kind of wish I didn't do a test ride, because now I want one.

I do think that the price point is still a little high, but I may wander down to the LBS to see how much wiggle room the price has.

#64 ·
Rode one of these today at the SE Bike EXPO. I ride a trance x and have been really wanted to get the trance x 29er. After riding this today, my whole perspective changed. I honestly thought "best of both worlds" was a load of **** but after riding this I am a convert. This is definitely the #1 spot for what I want next. It was so much more fun than my trance 26 and the trance 29. I was so sure! The bike rode wonderfully and climbed great. I love climbing and I spun this thing uphill without a hitch.

Great to meet you jamis folk today, if any of you read this! cant wait to own one!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.