Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Jamis 650B

20K views 63 replies 35 participants last post by  kikoraa 
#1 ·
Hello All....

Our first official demo events will be Interbike Outdoor Demo Sept. 17-18th and Outerbike in Moab UT Oct. 3rd-7th. Hope to see you there!

The 2013 Dragon 650 and Nemesis 650 are already in stock so sales reps have samples on hand for regional demo's and dealers have them at the shops!

See you out on the trails!

Some short spec...

Dakar XCT 650 Pro
130mm travel, 12x142 rear
Rock Shox Revelation 650B RCT3 fork
Rock Shox Monarch RT3 shock
American Classic tubeless
SRAM XO 2x10 (38/24) w/ Type 2 RD
SRAM XO brakes
Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
Crank Brothers cockpit
MSRP $4800. USD

Dakar XCT 650 Comp
130mm travel, 12x142 rear
Rock Shox Revelation 650B RL fork
Rock Shox Monarch R shock
Alex XD Lite rims/Formula sealed hubs
Shimano SLX 3x10
Shimano M445 brakes
Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
Crank Brothers cockpit
MSRP $2800. USD

Dragon 650
Reynolds 853
White Brothers Loop TCR 650B 120mm travel
American Classic tubeless
Shimano SLX 3x10
Avid Elixir 5
Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
Crank Brothers cockpit
MSRP $2900. USD

Nemesis 650
Kinesis 7005 alloy
XFusion Velvet RL 650B 100mm travel
Alex XD Lite rims/Formula sealed hubs
SRAM X9/X7 2x10 (39/26)
Avid Elixir 5
Schwalbe Racing Ralph's
Ritchey cockpit
MSRP $1900. USD

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You've got to sponsor a strong pro on the Dakar Pro at the Whole Enchilada Enduro Sept 28. I bet a podium would there would certainly help you at Outerbike the following week. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Kinda surprised (and disappointed) they didn't go to 140mm travel on the Dakar XCT bikes. I also prefer the curved top tube of the 2012/2011 models over the straight tube of the new bike. 12 x 142 is good. Wonder if the HA is the same 69 degrees? I'd prefer to see that at 68 also.

Why does the Dragon not get a replaceable hanger? Doesn't make sense to me (maybe because I live in new England with so many rocks and everything gets hit)

#6 ·
skidad... The decision to go to the straight and larger top tube and also larger down tube on the 2013 model was to increase both lateral and torsional stiffness of the front triangle. If stand over is a concern, it's only changed very slightly over the 2012 design and actually now has better stand over clearance on the 19" and 21" than before.

The chain stay size has also been increased 25% in addition to the 142mm drop outs for matching rear end stiffness.

Noted on the replaceable hanger for the Dragons. Traditionally with our steel frames it has been easy to bend back a tweaked hanger without any issue since you don't get the "snap" like alloy. But something to take into consideration for the future.

Thanks!

#8 ·
skidad... The decision to go to the straight and larger top tube and also larger down tube on the 2013 model was to increase both lateral and torsional stiffness of the front triangle. If stand over is a concern, it's only changed very slightly over the 2012 design and actually now has better stand over clearance on the 19" and 21" than before.

The chain stay size has also been increased 25% in addition to the 142mm drop outs for matching rear end stiffness.

Noted on the replaceable hanger for the Dragons. Traditionally with our steel frames it has been easy to bend back a tweaked hanger without any issue since you don't get the "snap" like alloy. But something to take into consideration for the future.

Thanks!
Thanks for the info on the structural changes which sound good. The straight top tube is a personal thing. I like it on the Dragon and Nemesis but to me it looks to "old school" on a 2013 full suspension bike. Just a little bend or swoop I think would look better.

BTW...is the new 2013 rear triangle compatible with the 2011/2012 frames?

#9 ·
Bikes look nice, have to agree, like the straight TT much more than the old curved one. Curious if you guys have any front on/45 degree shots showing fork clearance over those Racing Ralphs? In my experience with RS (with both 26" and 29" forks) they have minimal clearance compared to Fox, Marz and Manitou, which really sucks if you have to deal with mud on a regular basis.

#22 ·
Especially when they already have this beauty. All that's different from this 26" carbon Pro XCT frame to 650B would be a redesigned rear triangle. Heck, they could have used the new improved aluminum triangle and called it good. Problem is that Jamis MSRP"s are just to high IMO and scare potential buyers away. Oh yeah, that slightly curved top tube looks much better to me :p

Or how about doing this 4" travel XC full 650B compliant frame in carbon (actually designed with 650B in mind although it came through in 26" guise last year) How many really new about this frame that wanted a 4" travel bike? Perhaps to heavy so make it carbon.

#14 ·
Another nod of approval here for the straight tubes. Seems like everyone went apeshit for "the Nomad look" the last few years. I even recall reading a few years ago, some non-Jamis market hyperbole about how the curved tubes increase stiffness, lol. The fastest (er, lightest) way to get there is with straight lines me thinks.

At any rate, I'd like a Nemesis please & thank you.

#15 ·
Is that purple on the Dragon? Yech :bluefrown:
The Shamrock green is so much nicer.
And $2900 for a steel hardtail??? Come on! :nono:
I agree about the Nemesis though; does look better than before.

#16 ·
Cool bikes, yeah $2900 is a bit pricey for a HT, though its 853 and is outfitted with possibly
the best 650b fork in its class (I doubt White Bros gave Jamis much of a manufacture discount
for them as WB only has 3 guys making forks there in Grand Junction & they take turns answering phones and emails :) )

Super props to Jamis. Saving up for a Dragon frame to putt around town with.

#43 ·
Dragon as a putt around town bike is a waste. I spent some time on this at Outdoor Demo and it is a very well balanced and excellent handling bike. Of course, not everyone is after a steel hardtail, but if that is in your general line of thinking, then this is an excellent bike. I've ridden steel hardtails for years - nice job Jamis gang on this one.

Scott

#17 ·
Nother vote back to the preference of curved tubes - loved how the 2011-12 yr Jamis models looked. Not that I would kick these off the cliff or anything. ;) Also seems like growing msrp is another trend with new bikes these days... perhaps the dropping value of the dollar? I guess we'll see what they really sell for soon enough.

Still lovin' my 2010 Sixfifty B2 frames. :)

#18 ·
Sad that the raciest bike of the bunch (Nemesis) gets stuck with boat anchor parts again. Two models would be nice, one with X9/XO, Stan's rims and lighter bars, stem, post and saddle, and then a entry version with X5/X7 etc. to meet a price point.

#30 ·
Yes indeed they do! First complete I've bought in nine years and I love it! In that span of time I've built up no less than nine different mountain bikes - ten, if you count the Surly CrossCheck I've taken out on the trail a handful of times. From jump bikes to 69ers, from short-travel XC rides to freeride fullys, they've all been a blast...but I've still thrown them all over for my Dragon 650b. With absolutely no regrets. It's all the mountain bike I can see myself ever needing.

#32 ·
Not a bad review and look forward to part 2.

He needs to try the bike with wider bars and a shorter stem to take the XC edge off a bit. He also failed to mention the Loop fork has 2 more internal travel adjustments of 140 and 150mm which is a pretty nice option to have IMO and would slacken up the front end nicely for a bit more AM comfort.

I left that info in the comments section for people to see.

And....he mentioned Jamis will have a new model at Interbike yet unmentioned. Hmmmm??

#36 ·
Review 2012 Dakar 650B Pro part 2

2012 Jamis Dakar SixFifty B Pro Long-Term Review: Part 2 | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

Nice fair review and a couple issues to watch for. Overall versatility seems to be it's forte.

...and again as reported in his part 1 review Jamis is supposed to release a new bike at Interbike in a few days. Could be the 4" travel XC race bike some guys have been wishing for or maybe a 150-160mm B bike....or maybe nothing at all?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.