mtbr member

2011 Santa Cruz Nickel----650B'd

Decided to put my Canfield ONE back as a freeride/downhill bike and put the 650B wheels on a dedicated trail bike.....What better frame to use is...... The SC Nickel of course... got a killer deal on the frame and ordered the few parts I needed and here she is... (still need a few more blue parts to finish the color scheme)

Parts list:
    Frame- large SC Nickel
    Fork- Xfusion Vengence (lowered to 130mm)
    Wheels- Stans Flow 650b with Hope Evo2 hubs and DT double butt spokes
    Tire- Panceti Neo- moto (F) and Quasi- moto(R)
    Cranks- E thirteen with 34t. E13 guide ring
    Chain Guide- MRP single ring BB mounted
    Chain- Wipperman (brass coated)
    Shifter- X9 ten speed
    Cassette- Sram 1080 (for now)
    Bars/Stem- Crank Bros 11-carbon-720mm/ Sunline 100mm
    Brakes- Shimano XT Ice tech
    Rotors- Sram XX WC 180mm F/R (ordered the shimano ice rotors)
    Pedals- XT Trail

First ride impressions where on the positive side. Bike fast fast and seemed quick handling. Only rode 8 miles due to time constraints but all on tight twisty and root filled trail with a little climbing. Need some more saddle time for a more solid feel on the bike...
    Last edited by rsullivan; 08-03-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...ps00f08dc1.jpg

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    blast from the past! 06? That's a relic!

Love the green. All these recent nickel threads makes me tempted to pick one up. *just* saw the frame on CL for $675...
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Yea i always forget to reset the dates after changing batteries....lol. took pictures today
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...ps00f08dc1.jpg

Dissolved member
    Looking good! The Ni-B is a solid trail machine, loving mine.

mtbr member
    Love the green....Nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Nice!

Sweet looking bike!

Do you know the weight by any chance?

mtbr member
    28.08lbs as it sits

mtbr member
    Very similar to the build I'm doing except I'll be using a Velvet up front, will start at 140mm and maybe dial it down from there after a couple rides. Based on the fork difference I'm hoping to hit my target of 25-26#.

Did you have to do anything to the fork for 650b, I've read the velvet may require a "shim" to accomodate, not sure yet exactly what that involves, would love to know if you had to do anything to yours.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    28.08lbs as it sits
    Thanks; that is a really nice looking build! Let us know you thoughts on the bike/fork/build after you have some more ride time

mtbr member
    No, there was no modification needed to run 650B. Just slapped the wheels on and rode. Very happy with how the bike rides. May try a set of 26" wheels just to compare handling though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hello , I have a nickel and in the first ride notice the chain was grinding on the frame when using the big front ring . Any clue ?

Dissolved member
    How big is your ring? What cassette? In which ring/sprocket combinations is it happening?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The ring is 44-22 and the cassette is 11-34 and is happening all the time I'm using the big ring .

Dissolved member
    Are you sure you installed the required spacers for the BB?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i didn't do the installation . i might have to take it back to the shop and request for an explanation . the chain did two grove to the frame . at this moment i adjust the stop to prevent shifting to the big ring until i take the bike to the shop.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ripfe View Post
    The ring is 44-22
    A 44/22 double crank? If so, is the 44 in the middle ring spot on triple spider?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    no it is a 3 ring - 44-32-22 . the big ring being too far out is making the chain to grind.

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Very similar to the build I'm doing except I'll be using a Velvet up front, will start at 140mm and maybe dial it down from there after a couple rides. Based on the fork difference I'm hoping to hit my target of 25-26#.

Did you have to do anything to the fork for 650b, I've read the velvet may require a "shim" to accomodate, not sure yet exactly what that involves, would love to know if you had to do anything to yours.
    I doubt you'll need/want to touch that fork. 140 is perfect on mine so far. Have run a 2.3 Neo-Moto and a 2.35 Nevegal - no clearance issues.