mtbr member
    Feb 2010

2010 Cannondale Carbon Scalpel

I just purchased a 2010 Cannondale Team Carbon Scalpel frame & carbon Lefty SL fork. The guy I bought the frame from told me that I could use 650b wheels with it. Is this correct?

If so, what is a stiff, light, race worthy 650b wheelset? I currently run 26er Mavic Crossmax SLRs, but I don't think Mavic is doing 650s yet.

Also, the guy told me I can just run a 650b wheel on the front and keep a 26 on the rear. This sounded like an odd option to me. Two different size wheels? Does anybody do this? It seems like it would throw the frame geo off.

I have always been a 26 rider, so any insight on 650b would be appreciated. I tried a 29er a couple of years ago and hated it (it felt sluggish in handling and acceleration), but the idea of the 650b wheels intrigues me. Do they feel more like 26ers or 29ers?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This thread is a 2011 Scalpel. I don't know if the 2010 is the same frame or not. It fits a Quasi or Racing Ralph in the back, but in my opinion its a little tight.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/650b-201...am-702979.html

A lot of people run 650b front 26 rear, I used to until I got a frame that would fit in the rear. It will slacked the headtube angle, but many people prefer that. As a racer you may not. I personally dropped my fork travel from 100mm to 80mm when I put 650b on the front to negate any geometry changes.

The wheels I run are Stans Crest with AC hubs and CXray spokes. They are light and stiff enough.

To me 650b (if you have a light wheelset) feels just like 26. You don't even realize you have a larger wheel until the going gets rough and you are suddenly amazed at how the wheels now plow through stuff instead of getting deflected. Climbing grip with a 650b rear is much better also. Other than a slight weight penalty I don't think there are any downsides to going 650b.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

ah, hamburgers
    I just bought a Scalpel, too, but a 2011.

From what I could gather, the 2010 will not fit a 650b. I think I read that it rubbed the seat stays...?

ah, hamburgers
    Doh! I searched "scalpel", lost track of time, and then replied to a three week old thread.