mtbr member

2009 Marin Team Issue HT 650b?

Anyone know if you can put a 650B on a Marin Team Issued Hard Tail? I know the Fox Fork will work but not sure if the rear wheel will clear. Also is there a measurement I can take on the frame to see if it will fit?

Uncle
    Generally rule I think is either a) a 6x2.5" tire, or b) axle to cross braces should exceed 355mm or so, with adequate tire clearance near there. This is off the top of my head, but hopefully someone else will chime in. Also, post your results please, as many of us are still hoping for "the right" frame to add bigger wheels to.

Edit: Here's what you need to know:
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help that's exactly what I needed

mtbr member
    Generally if you have at least 1/2" of additional clearance with 26" tires of similar profile, you will likely have room.

mtbr member
    O.K. so I checked the clearance and it looks like it should fit the Nev. 2.1 or Neo 2.1 with-
    out a problem. I searched online and talked to my LBS all I could find online are fairly heavy 650B rims. My LBS qouted me about $500.00 for a set of American Classic 650b rims.The price on tires are around $30.00 to $70.00 depending on what tire you choose.

For those of you who converted to 650b are the benefits worth the money???

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by jamas1395
    For those of you who converted to 650b are the benefits worth the money???
    I spent a bit of money on a front wheel only for my blur, and it calmed the front end down nicely once I got the cockpit squared away. I used the ZTR rim and went back and forth between a Neo 2.3 and a heavier Nev 2.35, depending on whether I was racing or just riding for recreation. The wheel was not much heavier than the original but quite stable, so I liked it. Probably has nothing to do with the B-wheel, but I did post my best race times at Sea Otter and a few other local races while riding the 650b wheel up front.

The cockpit adjustments won't come into play in your case because you're planning on going B front and rear. Is it worth the money? Only you can determine that. Would I do it if I had that frame and I knew the back wheel would fit? Absolutely, but I would aim for a light wheel build because I don't break stuff much.

If you do, post some pics. I've always been a fan of Marin's HT line of bikes -- having owned their steel Pine Mountain, Eldridge Grade, and Bear Valley bikes before.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    On your Blur, I take it that you can't put a 650b on that back of it?

I'm looking to build my wife up a bike, and I love the blur. Am I going to have issues running the 650b front or rear on a Small frame?

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by LORENZ
    On your Blur, I take it that you can't put a 650b on that back of it?

I'm looking to build my wife up a bike, and I love the blur. Am I going to have issues running the 650b front or rear on a Small frame?
    If she rides hard, then a blur might be right up her alley. If this is her first bike / mt. riding experience, stick with something simple / functional / cheap until she gets the itch to ride more.

Blur won't fit a 650b out back. I don't think I've seen a VPP frame that will accept a 650b rear wheel.

mtbr member
    BLT2 should have enough space...one of the many reasons I got one last year.
    Currently running 26" f/r, but that has more to do with my 140mm fork not being compatible.
    Plan is to switch to 20TA lowers, which will solve that problem. Unfortunately, the 650b front wheel I have is 9qr, so it creates another

Also, I've become addict to the stick Maxxis High Roller on the front...nothing I've tried 650b comes close (Neo & WTB)...maybe the elusive SC Neo?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Bump on this. I see one on ebay. Anyone get this worked out? I'm looking at 2010

Thanks