Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Prophet 27.5 Joy
    Jun 2011

2005 Prophet 27.5 Conversion

2005 Cannondale Prophet
    Stan's Flow EX Rims/ Stan's wheelset
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 tires. Ample clearance all around except the rear tires just misses the F derailler in the low ring. The derailler moves away from the tire as the suspension cycles, so no big deal.

I have ridden it out in the street some. When the temps drop down some from the 100's, I'll take it out for it's first real ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice! I had the same issue with the 2.35 nevegal in the back hitting the front derallieur on my prophet. So I switched to the 2.1 Nevegal. I just recently put the 2.35 Neo Moto in the back and no clearance issue. Still need to take it out for a trail ride.

Prophet 27.5 Joy
    Jun 2011
    I took it out for a quick ride last night. 27.5 is all that. It made a great bike even better. Prophet has a long wheel base, so the extra height seems to put it more in proportion. It cuts the turns better and the larger wheels do roll over bumps better as well. Climbing over rocky stuff made the tire buzz against the derailler a few times in the small ring as the bike flexed (I'm 230 pounds, it flexes) but it's no biggie. I'm keeping the 2.35 in back.

Just a flesh wound

Nice bike!

I have an '05 Prophet converted as well. The 650b is an awesome upgrade for this frame. The Neo 2.3 does not rub if you want to ever get rid of the noise. I have an SLX front derailleur which might be a bit shorter than the stock LX that came with the bike. It only happens when the rear is totally uncompressed, right?
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

Prophet 27.5 Joy
    Jun 2011
    That's right, the derailleur moves moves down away from the tire as the rear compresses.

Just a flesh wound

Time

Well the knobs will wear down eventually! And it only happens in Granny gear. Have fun with it! Are you a 2 X 9 or 3 X 9?

I had the Nevegals on my bike as a 26'er. I switched to the Pacenti Neo-Motos when I converted my Prophet. They are expensive, but they are great tires. I would recommend them over the Nevegals, and I loved the Nevegals. No rub with a 2.3 out back. You might look into the SLX FD also as it does give a bit more room.

Dissolved member
    Another Lefty! You guys are such a tease. Congrats, it looks great. And I know it rides great, too (I had the pleasure of riding with Prophet Julio).

Prophet 27.5 Joy
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for your kind comments. I will give the Pacenti's a try when I wear down the Kendas. Same with the derailleur. Is the SLX standard mount or the E-type? I am running an E-type XT right now. I am 3X9, I do a bit of fire road flying and I like the option of having a big gear.

derp
    What hubs are you using ? Have you considered converting them ( if possible ) to 10mm thru-bolt ?
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

Just a flesh wound

E Type

I too run a 3 X 9. The Nevegals might just be that much wider.

Dissolved member
    Could a little extra dish in the wheel help? 2-3mm could be enough.

Prophet 27.5 Joy
    Jun 2011
    10mm Thru-bolts and a wee bit o' dish are interesting ideas, worthing of investigating for down-the-road upgrades. After all, these things are never really finished

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I run a 10mm thru axle rear (Hadley hub) and a 9mm thru axle front (Hope hub). Seems ok but I would really like a 15mm front with tapered steerer. At 140mm travel I don't feel the need for 36 forks or 20mm axle.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    That bike looks awesome. I have been looking for a prophet, but I keep getting sharked on ebay.
    2009 Fuji Tahoe Pro 29er
    1982 Fuji Supreme
    200? Cannondale Prophet
    2011 Focus Mares AX3

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice looking bike Vertigo2. Bumping this for some info.

I have an '08 Prophet Med. with Lefty Max TPC and stock Manitou Radium shock. Haven't paid much attention to it the last couple years since obtaining a few 29HTs. Thought about selling it to help fund a 29FS purchase to use for Enduro/Super D races. Just got a new carbon HT over the summer and would have a hard time justifying it to "the boss". After reading several posts about converted Prophets, it will be way cheaper, and stealthy, than purchasing a new bike.

Leaning towards Flow EX for wheels. As for tires, I've had no complaints with a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front of my rigid 29, any comments on the Ardent 27x2.25?

Will I need to reduce travel of the Lefty from 140mm or will there still be enough clearance? What about interference in the rear? I've read the comments about FD rubbing, but I had that occur with 26x2.1 Nevegals when in the granny gear off the bike.

Will I be able to run the rear in FR mode or is it XC mode only?

JD
    Last edited by jdinsj; 12-20-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

Prophet 27.5 Joy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj View Post

I have an '08 Prophet Med. with Lefty Max TPC and stock Manitou Radium shock. Haven't paid much attention to it the last couple years since obtaining a few 29HTs. Thought about selling it to help fund a 29FS purchase to use for Enduro/Super D races. Just got a new carbon HT over the summer and would have a hard time justifying it to "the boss". After reading several posts about converted Prophets, it will be way cheaper, and stealthy, than purchasing a new bike.

Leaning towards Flow EX for wheels. As for tires, I've had no complaints with a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front of my rigid 29, any comments on the Ardent 27x2.25?

Will I need to reduce travel of the Lefty from 140mm or will there still be enough clearance? What about interference in the rear? I've read the comments about FD rubbing, but I had that occur with 26x2.1 Nevegals when in the granny gear off the bike.

JD
    JD,
    I'm a 230 pounder, and thus far I have zero complaints regarding the Flow EX wheels.
    I did not have to reduce the travel front or back. I ride mine in the XC position (just my preference), however, static testing showed that the rear wheel will JUST clear the seat tube in the FR position.
    I have no first hand experience with the Ardent tires. I am running Nevegal 2.3's F&R. The FD does rub in granny gear if the wheel flexes on a bump, etc. Not bad, just skims it. I am switching to a 2.1 Nevegal, and that should cure the problem in total.
    I am glad that I made the conversion. It made a great bike even better, and of course it is always a blast to do bike stuff. Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good to know about the FR setting as I hadn't tried it. With 650 wheels that would bring the BB height to an acceptable 13.5" (or a little more if you use the new 2.35NN). With 26" wheels you get a low 13" BB height in the FR setting which for New England is a no go for me with to many pedal strikes.

For a FD use the Shimano SLX M665 E-Type (dual ring specific so it wont work on a triple) which has a much shorter and compact cage than the std. LX FD. Should solve any tire issues.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Good to know about the FR setting as I hadn't tried it. With 650 wheels that would bring the BB height to an acceptable 13.5" (or a little more if you use the new 2.35NN). With 26" wheels you get a low 13" BB height in the FR setting which for New England is a no go for me with to many pedal strikes.

For a FD use the Shimano SLX M665 E-Type (dual ring specific so it wont work on a triple) which has a much shorter and compact cage than the std. LX FD. Should solve any tire issues.
    I'm surprised you didn't set that sucker in FR mode from the get go - 26 or 650b wheels regardless.

I bet you'll love that thing in FR mode with 650bs - do it to it!!!

mtbr member
    Good stuff guys! This isn't helping my fever at all. I have a 2006 Prophet which I'm converting to 650B and I'm planning to shed some weight at the same time as well. Just the wheels and tires I've planned will weigh over two pounds less than the current ones.

I've really enjoyed the FR setting but I'm looking forward to a bit higher BB with the conversion.

mtbr member
    Awesome good luck with your conversion.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Good stuff guys! This isn't helping my fever at all. I have a 2006 Prophet which I'm converting to 650B and I'm planning to shed some weight at the same time as well. Just the wheels and tires I've planned will weigh over two pounds less than the current ones.
    Good decision Saul, just do not tell Tone's. What wheels do you plan to build?

mtbr member
    Thinking of DT240 in the rear and Tune Cannonball in the front for hubs, DT Comps and Stan's Arch EX's. Tires will probably be 2.25 Racing Ralphs, unless someone talks me out of them. I've liked 2.35 Nobby Nics on my 29er but could go lighter and faster. Open to other suggestions as well. I'm quite light at 72 kg (165 lbs) and not a very harsh rider.

Compared to the original Crosslands and 2.35 Ignitors...

I already switched the FSA Afterburner cranks to e13 XCX+ and the gear train will be 1x9 with 32 in the front. I previously ran a double+bash with 36 teeth on the middle ring and never realized what was causing increased pedal bob. Turns out the geometry works against pedal bob when you use a smaller chainring.

I might have to attach a rudder to my back because I plan to fly when I'm finished.

Dissolved member
    If you trails are a bit more challenging than hardpack, take a look at 2.25 Nobby Nics. Lightweight and fast rolling yet much better grip and traction than RaRas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for all of the information. I'm going for it. Will be a winter project and I'll post up pics when
    done.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj View Post

JD
    If you do any real jumps you need to reduce the travel on the Lefty, no issues if you just trailride.
    Even with a 26 on the front the Lefty will "buzz" the bottom clamp - with a 650b you risk going over the bars - no issues with the rear.
    Up on Ebay at this time are spacers for the Lefty, very easy to install. It comes with 3 (for a 29er) 1 should do OK, test it to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast