mtbr member

2.35 Hans Dampfs fit in the Pike: Photos

The short version: the 27.5 Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 fits fine in a 2014 27.5 Rock Shox Pike fork.

The long version: I installed a new 2.35 HD today on my new Pike. The tire was mounted on an LB carbon rim (23 mm inner width, about halfway between Arch EX and Flow EX).

Schwalbe calls this a 2.35 tire, but actual measured width at the widest point on the knobs was about 2.47". (My old tire was NN, nominally 2.25 measured 2.24").

I didn't measure the fork's inner width very carefully, but it was around 3" or 3.1" at the tire knob's widest point.

Photos of the clearance below.

2.35 Hans Dampfs fit in the Pike: Photos-d90-119a.jpg

2.35 Hans Dampfs fit in the Pike: Photos-d90-118a.jpg

2.35 Hans Dampfs fit in the Pike: Photos-d90-120.jpg

2.35 Hans Dampfs fit in the Pike: Photos-d90-121.jpg

2.35 Hans Dampfs fit in the Pike: Photos-d90-122.jpg

To me, that's plenty of arch clearance, I'm pleased.

29ers Forever
    So if the Hans Dampf is the same width on the 2.35 29er tire, that could explain why it barely fits in the rear triangle of my Cobia.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    It's a big tire. I measure it at 2.38" wide on the casing, which obviously is where Schwalbe is measuring too.

mtbr member

Re: 2.35 Hans Dampfs fit in the Pike: Photos

A little off topic but since we are discussing the Hans Dampf here, what are peoples first hand impressions of it? All the media reviews are always glowing but I started reading more user reviews and saw a lot of negatives about squirmy knobs and knobs shearing off on the trail. I am building up a 27.5 bike with a 160mm Pike. My initial plan was Nobby Nic rear and Hans Dampf front.

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    A little off topic but ...
    I'll say. This thread is about tire clearance in the Pike, not HD tire performance. And if you do a search you'll find a gazillion threads on that here.

mtbr member

First, if you don't have a helpful response then I don't need your response. Just leave it be. Second, it's not like I asked a question about XX1 or something completely off topic. My question is in fact about the tire this thread is about. As far as this thread being about the size of the HD and fitting in the Pike, what else is there to say? The proof is in the pics. Its a big 2.35 but it fits. Done. Finished. So...why not ask a focused audience, whom many probably have first hand experience with the HD, about a little performance? I have searched and the info is scattered widely. What's wrong with another focused conversation?

No need to respond to this because I'm done responding concerning this. Not going to banter back and forth with you.

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ehh ignore him. As his user name states he's an old man, which are usually grumpy. Surprised he didn't tell you to get off his lawn.

My Impressions of the HD. I think it's an awesome tire, it came stock front and rear on my Norco Range. It's a very large tire like stated which gives it lots of stability. I have not experienced any knobs shearing off. It has worn a bit faster than I would have liked though. It's a very predictable tire, much more so than a Nevegal or Ardent. When it breaks loose you know it's going to happen and it's easily controllable. Here in WNC where it feels like it hasn't stopped raining yet this summer they have done great in the wet. There just always seems to be traction. I will probably be putting one on the front of my Nimble 9 when I get it built up.

mtbr member
    LOL, I'll add my two cents about the HD even though the "old man" might object.

I use it on the rear of my 650b Sirius. I love it. A bit heavy, but with my Nobby Nic front, it seems to work very nice for me and the midwest trails of roots, rocks, sand, leaves, etc.

Old Man - glad it fits although it might have been somewhat surprising if it didn't in the Pike fitted for the 27.5 tire size. Thanks for the post.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member

Thanks for the constructive responses. I'm in southern AZ. Land of loose over hard and sharp exposed rock. The user reviews of the knobs being too soft and flexible were giving me second thoughts. I have not heard of many people doing the NN front/HD rear combo. Usually you see the reverse which is what I was planning. When I got the tires in the other day I did notice the NN looks like a more open tread pattern often found on the front and the HD a tighter pattern often found on a rear. Crossed my mind as to why I have usually seen the HD front/NN Rear combo more often.

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    LOL, I'll add my two cents about the HD even though the "old man" might object.

I use it on the rear of my 650b Sirius. I love it. A bit heavy, but with my Nobby Nic front, it seems to work very nice for me and the midwest trails of roots, rocks, sand, leaves, etc.

Old Man - glad it fits although it might have been somewhat surprising if it didn't in the Pike fitted for the 27.5 tire size. Thanks for the post.
    Seems like its more common to have the HD up front and the NN out back? Maybe try flipping them around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    The short version: the 27.5 Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 fits fine in a 2014 27.5 Rock Shox Pike fork.

The long version: I installed a new 2.35 HD today on my new Pike. The tire was mounted on an LB carbon rim (23 mm inner width, about halfway between Arch EX and Flow EX).

Schwalbe calls this a 2.35 tire, but actual measured width at the widest point on the knobs was about 2.47". (My old tire was NN, nominally 2.25 measured 2.24").

I didn't measure the fork's inner width very carefully, but it was around 3" or 3.1" at the tire knob's widest point.

Photos of the clearance below.

Why wouldn't it fit? It's a 27.5 fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Why wouldn't it fit? It's a 27.5 fork.
    A respected blogger had mentioned concerns about whether those tires fit that fork (#21 here) and I hadn't seen anyone answer it definitively.

And just because something is 27.5 doesn't guarantee it will fit wider 27.5 tires, there's a big thread in the Ibis forum now about how these same tires don't fit in the rear triangle of the new 650b HD-R.

mtbr member

OldMan, I myself was tracking that thread because of my interest in the Pike and HD. I appreciate your taking the time to confirm the answer and take and post pics. Thank you.

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    And just because something is 27.5 doesn't guarantee it will fit wider 27.5 tires, there's a big thread in the Ibis forum now about how these same tires don't fit in the rear triangle of the new 650b HD-R.
    So I guess it's just like every other wheelsize? I cant fit massive fat tires in the back of my 29er nor could I fit high volume tires in the rear of most of my 26" bikes. Fork clearance has always been greater than rear end clearance on every bike I've ever owned.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Man that rim/tire combo gives the HD a nice radial profile. I too am running a 2.35 NN (blunt) up front. It rolls over and tracks well but im a bit hesitant to really push it. I think the next step is going to be siping (sp?) a 2.35 nev I have sitting around, run it up front and see what happens.

mtbr member

Anybody tried the pacestar and trailstar versions?
    What is the difference in performance and durability?

mtbr member

2.35 Hans Dampfs fit in the Pike: Photos

I've run a pace star NN in the rear and trail star HD as well. The pace star is going to have a lot more life than the trail star. I do a lot of mixed terrain rides (asphalt for awhile before jumping back on the dirt) and the asphalt tears up the trail stars much faster than the pace stars.
    I'll be switching to a pace star in the rear when I have to buy a tire again. The Trailstar on the front is wearing fine.
    I ran NN front and HD rear for awhile and now am running HD F/R. In dry conditions the the HD is a much better front than the NN. I'm really liking the HD f/r setup. Tons of grip. Not the fastest rolling tire and the 2.35 is heavy but cornering is amazing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Seems like its more common to have the HD up front and the NN out back? Maybe try flipping them around.
    Lol. Why?
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive