mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2.3" 650b vs. 2.4 26" ?

I have a Kenda 2.4 tire mounted, up front, on a 27mm wide WTB rim. I mounted a 2.3: Pacenti Neo-moto on a Velocity 650b rim. I measued the two diameters and the 650b is 1/2" taller. Do you think that 1/2" difference is going to be noticable enough to make the switch over to 650b ? Thanx

Ultra Ventanaphile
    In one word... Yes.

Long version.. Depends.

I ran a MutanoRaptor 2.4 on my ride, followed by the Neo-moto, the difference was a little less than the 1/2" you came up with. (Mutano's being rather tall, not wide). There was a noticeable difference on ledges, sharp edges and getting up and over rocks.

The caveat, and here's the "depends" part. I don't think the difference will be as significant if you just do the front wheel. My change was both front and rear.

But if you already have everything anyway, Why not? What have you got to lose?
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Reviewer/Tester
    Definitely...yes.

Having the 650B wheel up front makes quite a difference to your rollover ability on roots, rocks and ledges, it also decreases your endo ratio.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I have a Kenda 2.4 tire mounted, up front, on a 27mm wide WTB rim. I mounted a 2.3: Pacenti Neo-moto on a Velocity 650b rim. I measued the two diameters and the 650b is 1/2" taller. Do you think that 1/2" difference is going to be noticable enough to make the switch over to 650b ? Thanx
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    In one word... Yes.

Long version.. Depends.

I ran a MutanoRaptor 2.4 on my ride, followed by the Neo-moto, the difference was a little less than the 1/2" you came up with. (Mutano's being rather tall, not wide). There was a noticeable difference on ledges, sharp edges and getting up and over rocks.

The caveat, and here's the "depends" part. I don't think the difference will be as significant if you just do the front wheel. My change was both front and rear.

But if you already have everything anyway, Why not? What have you got to lose?

Actually I don't have the 650b wheel anymore. I measured the difference @ the beginning of the season and said just go 29er and sold the 650B. Well I never went 29er and wonder if the 650B @ only 1/2" more diameter would be enough to fully commit this time ?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I could see how looking at the pure numbers you'd come up with that thought.
    I still think the answer is yes. It's definately rolls different than a 26.

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

TNC
    noMAD man
    keen, it's been nearly a year now for using mine on my Nomad, and for a little while I've been using one on my '99 Bullit with a Van 36. Even on both bikes I can feel a notable improvement in the areas of rolling over obstacles, cornering, and at the odd point where you're just cresting over an obstacle right at the top of a steep pitchup...like those places where you've almost stalled out before you pop over the top. It's not as dramatic as the 69'er ML8 we set up at the shop, but it is noticeable and beneficial. That ML8 was good, but the 4.5" didn't get it. I really kind of wish this 650B was a relative wash, as two of my best 20mm tubeless 26'er wheels are now hanging on the wall.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    I have a Conti RaceKing 2.2 that I put on because the Quasimoto tire was just about 6mm larger in diameter, but was such a small volume tire. I was trying to run the Quasi in the back, but given that the RaceKing is almost the same height, but lots more volume and a nice thread design, I'm going with it in the back.
    I'd like to see how big the Schwalbe ends up to be. The Neomoto is a great tire, just too heavy for all applications. Up front, as a no BS tire, it works really well.