Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2.25 Nobby Nics

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

2.25 Nobby Nics

I just got my 2.25 Nobby Nics and just got one mounted up. I bought the 2.25s because I really like NNs but I do not need snakeskin, and quite frankly the 2.35 is a HUGE tire. The weights for the 2 were 576g and 598g. So one is a little heavy. Unfortunately these tires are kind of on the small side. They are actually narrower than my Racing Ralphs, which is a disappointment. They are very close in size to the 2.1 Nevegal. I am still sealing it up right now, I will get pics on the bike when I can get it on the bike and some ride time on it.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have some 2.25 NN on the way for the same reasons as you.

Again the 2.35 NN was a disapointment for me, particularly the 710g weight.....would of been a great tyre for me if it was in the low 600's.

Can't have it all I guess?.....look forward to your pics.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    I just got my 2.25 Nobby Nics and just got one mounted up. I bought the 2.25s because I really like NNs but I do not need snakeskin, and quite frankly the 2.35 is a HUGE tire. The weights for the 2 were 576g and 598g. So one is a little heavy. Unfortunately these tires are kind of on the small side. They are actually narrower than my Racing Ralphs, which is a disappointment. They are very close in size to the 2.1 Nevegal. I am still sealing it up right now, I will get pics on the bike when I can get it on the bike and some ride time on it.
    Have they stretched at high pressure for a couple of days yet. I suspect they should come out the same volume as Ra Ra but 1 to 2mm taller.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Have they stretched at high pressure for a couple of days yet. I suspect they should come out the same volume as Ra Ra but 1 to 2mm taller.
    I just mounted it and its still sealing. I can let you know in a few days how it looks. I can say that the sidewalls feel thicker than the RRs that I have, and they seem to lose much less pressure than the RRs during initial setup/sealing.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Dissolved member
    Mine also arrived today. I just mounted it but I run tubes.

On my narrow rim (XD Lite):
    a slightly worn Neo Moto 2.3 w/ tube: ~699mm
    a new NN 2.25 w/ tube: ~697mm.

The 2.25 NN definitely feels small, the casing has smaller volume than NeoMoto. I am almost surprised how small it is. I think it will make a great fast rolling rear tire for burlier trails like we have here in New England. It might respond very well to a wide rim, too. I have a P35 to be laced (waiting for spokes...) so I shall see soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How does the 2.25 NN compare to the 2.25 Racing Ralph or 2.3 Neomoto in width?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Unfortunately I think the 2.25 NN is just a small tire. I expected the 2.25 to be 0.1" smaller, but this is definitely not the case. The 2.35 is a massive tire. I guess they made the 2.35 as an AM tire, and the 2.25 was made smaller to make it lighter for XC use. The widest part of my tire is 2.188" and the casing width is 2.125". Height is about 695mm. I will admit this is on a 355 rim (19mm width) so it will be bigger on a bigger rim. I guess the plus side is that it will fit easier on the rear of many frames. I was able to get a ride in on it tonight. It was a muddy ride and I got great traction and good shedding.

If you look at this image (from mtbr) of a 2.35, the height is about 27.75". My 2.25 is about 27.35". So thats a difference of 0.4", so it is about 0.2" larger rather than the expected 0.1".

Here are pics of my tire

2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2005
    About to pick mine up.....your pics have me already disapointed, bummer....

I can only hope now Schwalbe might do a non snakeskin version of the 2.35 at around 600g

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's a good picture comparing tires. What thread is that from and is that a 2.3 Neo beside the 2.35 NN?

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    That's a good picture comparing tires. What thread is that from and is that a 2.3 Neo beside the 2.35 NN?
    Yes it is. Btw. on my narrow rim, the NN 2.25 casing is about 50mm wide. I do not have a caliper so I may be a few mm off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    In the long run I too would like a bigger tire, but if the 2.25 NN is actually a bit smaller than the 2.25 Ra Ra and/or 2.3 Neomoto and still a bit bigger than the 2.1 Neomoto, it's possibly more useful to me now.
    Last edited by morkys; 12-03-2012 at 09:09 AM.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Thanks for posting the pics- so that is a 2.25 NN in this picture? And what fork exactly?

Appreciate the info...

Here are pics of my tire

MTBR Contributing Editor

If you look at this image (from mtbr) of a 2.35, the height is about 27.75". My 2.25 is about 27.35". So thats a difference of 0.4", so it is about 0.2" larger rather than the expected 0.1".
    Brand new the NN 2.35 is 27 13/16" while the NeoMoto 2.3 is 27.5"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just put a 2.25 NN on......

Mounted very easily on a Stans Crest with Gorilla tape as the rim strip and a single shot from the air compresor....no leaks of sealant either.

Doesn't look so narrow in real life, will make a great front tyre or a wet weather rear tyre for the Trailbike/XC rider.

BTW it went 600g even on my digital scales.

2.25 Nobby Nics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354255428.723887.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics- so that is a 2.25 NN in this picture? And what fork exactly?

Appreciate the info...
    Yes, its a 2.25 NN. The fork is a 2012 Fox 32 120mm.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Woohoo!
    Looks like a grippy lightweight option for conversions with limited clearance. To all you guys wishing it was fatter, sorry, but at least you have the 2.35 NN and Hans D to turn to.
    Can you guys educate me a little about the standard casing on this tire. The only Schwalbe tire I've ever bought was a Racing Ralph, which was way too delicate for my rocky local trails. It doesn't look like there's going to be anything with Snake Skin in the 2.1-2.2 size to fit a Mojo SL..... So, how would you characterize the casing on the 2.25 NN, relative to say a Neo Moto or Nevegal, in terms of surviving frequent thrashings on very rocky terrain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Woohoo!
    Looks like a grippy lightweight option for conversions with limited clearance. To all you guys wishing it was fatter, sorry, but at least you have the 2.35 NN and Hans D to turn to.
    Can you guys educate me a little about the standard casing on this tire. The only Schwalbe tire I've ever bought was a Racing Ralph, which was way too delicate for my rocky local trails. It doesn't look like there's going to be anything with Snake Skin in the 2.1-2.2 size to fit a Mojo SL..... So, how would you characterize the casing on the 2.25 NN, relative to say a Neo Moto or Nevegal, in terms of surviving frequent thrashings on very rocky terrain?
    I may be wrong, but I believe the standard NN shares the same casing as the RR. I can say that the sidewalls on the NN is much thicker than the casing on the 2010 RRs I am using. Maybe the casing on the RR has changed since 2010 and is now thicker also. The sidewalls on my NN sealed up in under an hour, while my RR sidewalls have sometimes taken days laying on their sides to seal. From my experience with the 26" NN, the sidewalls are more delicate than the Neo or Nev. The Neo and Nev are trail/AM tires (in my opinion) while the NN is an aggressive xc/trail tire. I find the grip to be just as good as a Nevegal or Neo, but it rolls so much faster. Putting Nevegals on your bike makes it feel like you are riding in oatmeal. Neos are much faster, but are still heavy and don't spin up near as fast as the NN. I think if you are riding very rocky terrain, you would need the snakeskin version. I don't think the standard version would hold up too long.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Dissolved member
    IIRC the NN shares the same casing as the Rocket Ron. Here it is in Lyrik.

mtbr member
    As someone used to seeing a 2.35 HD up front, those 2.25 NN's just look 1990's-v-brakes-and-Onza-bar-ends skinny to me.

Dissolved member
    I hope they will look better on wide rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I hope they will look better on wide rims.
    SitHacka, you've played around with the 650b 2.35" Hans Damps yes? In your experience what's the clearance like with a 2011 Fox 36 Van? By clearance I am referring to 'usable' clearance not merely the wheel fits and is able to spin.

I am getting wheel build together currently and it is highly likely a Pacenti DL 31 will be used. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I will look at the NN 2.25 as an alternative that is hopefully larger than the 2.1 Neo but smaller than the 2.25 Racing Ralph and others. A 2.1 or 2.25 Rocket Ron could also meet those needs but would rather stick to the Ra Ra or NN tread design. The 2.35 NN looks like a great big aggresive tire.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    SitHacka, you've played around with the 650b 2.35" Hans Damps yes? In your experience what's the clearance like with a 2011 Fox 36 Van? By clearance I am referring to 'usable' clearance not merely the wheel fits and is able to spin.

I am getting wheel build together currently and it is highly likely a Pacenti DL 31 will be used. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
    Unfortunately I cannot offer any help about the Hans Dampf. I built my Mojo HD conversion with the 2.3 Neo Moto as the go to tire. For me, the most limiting factor is the fork at the moment - the Lyrik can not practically take tires bigger than the 2.3 Neo Moto. I would love to try the big Hans Dampf but I am quite sure it would not even spin freely. The 36 Fox forks are known to have ample clearance and I am am convinced it will work for you fine. I am about to build a P35 front wheel, possibly pushing both the Neo Moto and the Lyrik to their limits.

mtbr member
    I may be wrong, but I believe the standard NN shares the same casing as the RR. I can say that the sidewalls on the NN is much thicker than the casing on the 2010 RRs I am using. Maybe the casing on the RR has changed since 2010 and is now thicker also. The sidewalls on my NN sealed up in under an hour, while my RR sidewalls have sometimes taken days laying on their sides to seal. From my experience with the 26" NN, the sidewalls are more delicate than the Neo or Nev. The Neo and Nev are trail/AM tires (in my opinion) while the NN is an aggressive xc/trail tire. I find the grip to be just as good as a Nevegal or Neo, but it rolls so much faster. Putting Nevegals on your bike makes it feel like you are riding in oatmeal. Neos are much faster, but are still heavy and don't spin up near as fast as the NN. I think if you are riding very rocky terrain, you would need the snakeskin version. I don't think the standard version would hold up too long.
    Thanks lj, good info. I'm not certain either about changes to the RaRa casing, but the 2010 version I tried was a No Go for me with it's paper thin sidewalls.
    It's surprising to me that the NN is a faster roller than a Neo.... I'm not doubting... it just doesn't look like a fast roller eyeballing the tread... but obviously there's more to it. Yep, Nev's are slow but cheap, reliable, available, and they fit my fork...so I run it on the front only. I'm stoked about all the new options for both front and rear that might squeeze a little more performance out of Ole Bessie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    From my reading here, I saw there are mods you can do to the nevegal where somebody has improved traction or performance somehow by cutting knobs. I don't think it improved rolling resistance though. Otherwise, some say it is it's best on a wider rim. I have the 26" version and I find it slow and wears fast, although it is a nice sticky tire.
    Last edited by morkys; 11-30-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast