Thread: 1X10 Gearing

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

1X10 Gearing

I'm in the process of building a 650b Transition Trans Am. I plan on using a 1x10 set up and am wondering what would be a good gear selection for the front and back? It is going to be a trail bike used in an area with some hills, not very big ones in the South Jersey/North Delaware area.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachem6 View Post
    I'm in the process of building a 650b Transition Trans Am. I plan on using a 1x10 set up and am wondering what would be a good gear selection for the front and back? It is going to be a trail bike used in an area with some hills, not very big ones in the South Jersey/North Delaware area.
    What setup/wheels size are you using now? Try riding around in just your middle ring and play around with the cassette to see how versitile it is. Climb the steepest hill in middle/granny and see how you do. Give that a few rides to get used to. Spin it out on the flats to check your top end needs too. Adjust from there.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    If you don't have allot of long climbs to deal with them most anything will be fine. Here in Dallas area I have run 32t front with 11-32 and 11-34 cassettes. Right now I'm running a 34t front with 11-36 cassette and like it.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    I ride northern DE (Brandywinde) and SE PA...I had good luck with a 32t ring and a 11-36 cassette. Of course I tend to spin more than mash, and the hills aren't too long where you are riding. That is probably a good start, since you most likely have a 32 around if you've ever owned a triple crank. Once you figure out what you need get a nice single ring.

mtbr member
    I ride 32 x 11-36 in SE PA. If money were endless I'd be looking hard at XX1 with its giant rear cog together with a bigger front ring. But 34x36 would be too hard a granny for me.

If you don't already know, Sheldon Brown has a useful gear calculator to help with these decisions, link.

dwt
    mtbr member
    My 26'er conversion was a 1x 9 with 32T front and 11-34 back. It was 24lbs then. I could ride it anywhere with guys with grannies without a heck of a lot of trouble. When I converted it to 650b, I bought a custom 31T from Homebrew (before the guy apparently flaked out) to bring the gearing closer to 32T on a 26'er. This is what I was used to and I like it. Getting the smaller front ring was cheaper and easier than converting to 10 speed with 32T front and 11-36 back, which would have yielded prettty much the same lowest gear. So IMO you should be fine with 10 speed and 32T front.

ON the other hand my 29 lbs trail bike has bash-32-22 up front and also 11-34 9 speed back. My next 27.5" will have the new Shimano 94 bcd 4 arm crank, which I will run 10 speed with bash 30-22 front, and 11-36 back. Could climb telephone poles with that, eh?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    I ride northern DE (Brandywinde) and SE PA...I had good luck with a 32t ring and a 11-36 cassette. Of course I tend to spin more than mash, and the hills aren't too long where you are riding. That is probably a good start, since you most likely have a 32 around if you've ever owned a triple crank. Once you figure out what you need get a nice single ring.

I ride the same trails, mostly Brandywine. I have a Kona Coilair set up as a 1x9 and really like it. I would like to try a 1x10 set up on the Trans Am and was just wondering if I should go with different gearing since it will have bigger wheels than I have now,plus one more gear in the back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm running a 34t front with 11-36 cassette and like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    What setup/wheels size are you using now? Try riding around in just your middle ring and play around with the cassette to see how versitile it is. Climb the steepest hill in middle/granny and see how you do. Give that a few rides to get used to. Spin it out on the flats to check your top end needs too. Adjust from there.
    This is your best advise. Only you can answer what is best for you, your riding style, terrain, bike type, etc. Test it out with your current bike.

FWIW, I ride with a 1 to 1 ratio on my 1x10 bikes. 34 front and 34 rear, but that's what works for me.

www.derbyrims.com
    With the same rings and cassette, 27 inch wheels are near 4% higher final gear ratio than 26 inch wheels, and about 6% lower than 29 inch wheels. Figure what you have now for the lowest and highest you need now, then calculate the % difference to find what low and high gear 1x10 would match or be close.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    I went from a 32t front 12-34 rear on a 160mm travel 26" bike to a 32t front 12-36 rear on a 130mm travel 650b. Aside from the change from a 1x9 to a 1x10, the gearing feels very close, if not a little lower on the new bike.