mtbr member
    Dec 2007

1x1 Conversion Questions

I built up an old style Surly 1x1 a little while ago with 48mm wide 26" rims and bb7 brakes. My only offroad ride was a race where I rode 26x2.35 Slant 6's. The bike rode alright, but it wasn't what I was expecting. Now I have 26x3.5 sunlite crusher beach cruiser tires. They look great, but don't add much to the ride and the clearance doesn't really look good enough for off road use. Most of my riding on this bike has been commuting, and neither of these tire options are great for that, so I am considering building up a 650b wheelset for the 1x1.

Here's what I'm thinking...
    -Superlight trials hubs NWTrials - NW Trials
    -Paired with Blunt SL rims
    -Shimano CX Cantilever brakes, so I can run a drop bar.

This should drop a ton of weight and be significantly nicer for commuting. I will save the fatty wheels for a proper fat bike build.

Do you think I will run into issues running Canti's on the Blunt SL? Do you think I will be upset with the performance of the canti brakes? I live in FL so there aren't too many situations where heavy braking is necessary. Most bikes are overkill for our riding, my first mtb was a FS with hydros, I sold it and built this 1x1. I don't miss the FS at all.

mtbr member
    Uhm, pretty sure the Blunt SLs are disc specific rims. I don't believe they have a machined sidewall for rim brakes. I would keep the bb7s and get long reach drop bar brake levers. Cane Creek and Tektro have good options. The drops should be at the same level as the grips on your current setup, unless you like to ride the top bar. I have a similar setup with my older RM hammer, but for me the geo still isn't quite right so I'll probably go back to the original lo-rise bar set-up. Can't speak for the hubs personally, but I do like my Surly hubs. I would go talk to your LBS about options before buying a bunch of parts just to get another opinion on the build. I don't think you would run into problems with the 650b tires, but beware the chain stays can sometimes inhibit tire size.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm am the LBS I figured I would get the opinion of the mechanics across the world.

They don't have a machined sidewall, but this isn't really a big deal. I run a rim brake on my NMS rhynolites without issue, but I have not seen the Blunt SL in person, so I didn't know if it had super thin sidewalls or something.

My concern about the trials hubs is the low flange size. I know a ton of fixed-gear freestyle guys run low flange hubs with 29er rims, but I wasn't sure if there was a disadvantage I was missing for off-road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    yeah, not going to recommend the velocity's for rim brakes. why not switch to a bb5 or bb7 road version to work with the drop bars?

mtbr member
    I do know that the SL is the light weight version and I would assume that the standard Blunts are a little more robust. That said, I'm not sure the side wall would have enough of a flat surface for the pads. I've not seen anyone running rim brakes with those rims, so I can't say if won't work, but I don't think it would be ideal. I have seen some running rim brakes on the deepV that do not have a machined side wall and they squeal and strip off the finish. Also, at the weld of many disc specific rims it is not as flush as a machined side wall so the pad may catch there momentarily causing a slight lurch. Personally, I think you would have better results with the bb7s and long reach brake levers. Also, you would need some caliper or canti brakes that have a large enough adjustment to meet the rim on the larger 650b rim.

I think the issue with flange height has to do with spoke tension and braking forces on the hub if you run disc brakes. If you do stick with the bb7s I think having a higher flange would be beneficial. A hub with a higher flange would be tougher, but if you are only commuting on paved surfaces or light off road a low flange would be fine if you choose rim brakes since the braking forces would be on the rim.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The blunt won't work with a rim brake. The sidewall has zero flat surface. It's curved from one bead to the other. The Rhyno lite rims are a rim brake rim that you can buy with NMSW but are available with MSW. There is no rim brake version of the Blunt, they were designed as a disc brake from the go.

Keep the disc brakes and either buy A) A drop brake lever that works with mountain brakes. Cane Creek and Tektro both make a lever with the appropriate cable pull as they are commonly found on Touring bikes with bar end shifters B) If you want STi levers then buy brake calipers that work with road brakes levers. Hayes, Avid (SRAM) and Shimano all have disc calipers that work with STi levers including Campagnolo.