mtbr member
    Aug 2007

1990 Bontrager 650B SS Drop bar

Posted this in VRC but thought I would share here as well.

I decided on this cloudy Seattle day to do something a little different.
    I bought the Bonty about 2 months ago because I wanted the fork for my American Comp lite but I did not have the heart to separate the 2.
    After building it with a black XT kit(which now will go on the American) I decided to do something different.
    The 650b wheelset I have had for over a year and were built for a project that got shelved so.......the Grey Ghost was born today.
    WTB Drops, Cook cranks, Paul Moto-lites(like the clearence?), King no-logo and Superbee levers.
    _MG_2570
    _MG_2576
    _MG_2573
    _MG_2571

mtbr member
    Love what you did here. Gotta be one of the best spare parts builds I've ever seen, though I've gotta say: you must be doing something right if you've got Cook cranks and those Paul V's just laying around! Seriously, nice mix of old and new on that bike - it looks like it'd be a helluva lotta fun.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    NICE!
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    NICE!
    Ditto!

By the way, a couple of quick questions: The ZTR rims are fine with rim brakes? I wasn't aware they made those in anything but a disc-specific version (as I would have DEFINITELY used them on my IF Deluxe 650B conversion). How was the clearance with the brakes after your first ride?

Love seeing "vintage" bikes with 650B. There should be an entire thread about that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants View Post
    Ditto!

By the way, a couple of quick questions: The ZTR rims are fine with rim brakes? I wasn't aware they made those in anything but a disc-specific version (as I would have DEFINITELY used them on my IF Deluxe 650B conversion). How was the clearance with the brakes after your first ride?

Love seeing "vintage" bikes with 650B. There should be an entire thread about that!
    Folks have been using the 355's in CX for a while with Canti's.

OP, love the bike!

What would Tesco do?
    Nicely done indeed. Is it possible to post a pic or two of the tire clearance at the chainstays? It looks like you're running the 2.1 Neo, correct?

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    Folks have been using the 355's in CX for a while with Canti's.
    Good to know, thanks!