mtbr member
    Aug 2013

'14 Kona Process 153 & '14 Trek Slash 7

Hey Guys,

This is my first time on the forum, so pardon any mishaps in terms of forum rules and/or folkways.

I rode motocross for about six years and just recently got into MTB. I've been riding pretty regularly for about four months now, and am ready to make the first big purchase.

Like many others, I am looking for an "all-mountain" bike that will see 70% technical trail use, 20% lift-access downhill, and 10% freeride. Oh, and most importantly, the budget is $3-4k. Based on my research and conversations with some of the local gurus, I have narrowed my options down to the '14 Kona Process 153 and the '14 Trek Slash 7. I understand there are many other great options; however, I would like to take advantage of the local bike shops free repairs on their carried brands.

Based on my research, it appears as though the geometry is very similiar, as well as the components. I am leaning towards the Kona due to the dropper post and rear suspension set-up.

I would appreciate any feedback on this topic,

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I bought a Process 153 and I love it. I'm sure the Slash is a great bike as well. The Kona has shorter chainstays, which helps make the bike fun. The geometry is spot on and the suspension is awesome. Test both out if you can and see which one you like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    i also bought the 153 and its the best bike i have ever ridden. if you can only have one bike and you are into all types of mountain biking and dont want to feel limited then this is the one to get. 10/10

mtbr member
    i would say the geo is pretty different. Kona is running uniquely long front centers and short stems. The kona also has 10mm shorter CS and 10mm more BB drop, and has a much lower standover.

also, you could always change the rear shock on the kona to another brand/model in the future, can't do that on the trek.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Haven't tried that Trek. Got 153 DL and just did first lift access bikepark day today. It was a blast, bike feels really stable and fast, and at the same time easy to pop a wheelie and play around. Feels like plenty of bike for bikepark use. For trail riding might want to get lighter wheelset and lighter tyres in some point.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I just got back from a ride with a buddy of mine who was riding his son's 153. His bike is a Giant Trance and he says the 153 pedals incredibly well, corners better, and is faster and more secure going down. He went on at great length about how good it is. I am convinced that for our riding here in Cumberland, BC it is near perfect. When you look at the value it would be tough to beat. Our riding is logging road climbs, techy descents with some steep single-track climbs. The Kona excelled at it all. Even a steep climb with plenty osprey switch-backs would not stop it.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.