Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 120mm travel FS

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

120mm travel FS

looking for a full susspension that is agile but can still take a beating. i would like to stick with trek. the fuel would be prefect if it came in 27.5 and the remedy might be to much. i will spend 2500$ +/-

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    What about Ventana Alpino?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt or Santa Cruz Solo (5010) looks to be 2 really good offerings with around 5 inches of travel and 27.5. I love the geo and look of both, but would probably go with the Santa cruz for the slightly increased travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Santa Cruz 5010 has 125mm of travel. Complete bikes start at $3200 but it might be worth the budget stretch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Santa Cruz also has the Bantam too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    Santa Cruz also has the Bantam too.

Norco fluid 7.1 is rarely mentioned, but compares well on paper. Fluid has shorter chain stays I believe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah....Fluid looks interesting. Wonder how that Norco suspension system climbs? If it's not bad, it's one I'd consider for sure. Bang for the buck seems really good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    how about a fuel ex 26er with some 2.3" tires?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    Yeah....Fluid looks interesting. Wonder how that Norco suspension system climbs? If it's not bad, it's one I'd consider for sure. Bang for the buck seems really good.
    I just purchased a 2014 Norco Sight and am waiting for the custom build to be done. I thought the suspension climbed well enough to be worth my money. It's like the Specialized Horst-Link, only better. They moved the pivots for better something or other.

-Berm

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanWilliams1783 View Post
    looking for a full susspension that is agile but can still take a beating. i would like to stick with trek. the fuel would be prefect if it came in 27.5 and the remedy might be to much. i will spend 2500$ +/-
    You want to stick with Trek so isn't the Fuel EX your only option, or are you open to other brands? Several ~5" 29ers and 27.5ers coming out for 2014...

mtbr member
    A giant anthem 27.5 with a swap to a 120mm fork
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You should consider the Santa Cruz 5010 (Solo).
    They call it 125mm rear and 130 front. I have yet to measure more than 110 of movement up front.
    I would say that this is a very capable racing bike with the right build- suitable for anyone but the "world cup" hardtail type rider.
    I have mine down to about 23 pounds with Stans rims- probably could get closer to 22 pounds with carbon wheels and lighter tires.
    Suspension is not too active (though it is active)- this bike can climb as fast as the rider-

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanWilliams1783 View Post
    I wish too that Trek would make a 650B Fuel EX
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    According to my local dealer who is one of the largest in the SE, the fuel is indeed coming out as a 27.5. I was looking at the Remedy this week and he said the fuel 27.5 will be released this December.

FWIW every single person that came in the store is asking about the 650b's. They also deal Santa Cruz and can't keep the Solo's in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    According to my local dealer who is one of the largest in the SE, the fuel is indeed coming out as a 27.5. I was looking at the Remedy this week and he said the fuel 27.5 will be released this December.

FWIW every single person that came in the store is asking about the 650b's. They also deal Santa Cruz and can't keep the Solo's in stock.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    glad i held off on getting the remedy or 29er fuel

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I spent several hours over the last 2 days on a demo Santa Cruz 5010c (formerly Solo) and I have to say it climbs incredibly well, rolled over large rocks and everything else in site on a technical uphill I couldn't do on my 26" Stumpjumper. The VPP suspension worked great and it descends well. That said, the most travel I got from it was 115mm, even after letting a little air out and hitting big, the claimed travel on the fork is 130mm. The bottom bracket is fairly low (13.0" measured) and I did have problems with pedal strikes (175mm crankarms) to the point I really needed to pay attention to timing my pedal strokes over obstacles, my Stumpjumper is 13.5" BB height and I don't have any problems. Switching the Fox CTD shock into 'climb' mode helps slightly, but the issue was still noticeable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    What about Ventana Alpino?
    Just make sure the wheel doesn't hit the seat tube on full compression...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    "According to my local dealer who is one of the largest in the SE, the fuel is indeed coming out as a 27.5. I was looking at the Remedy this week and he said the fuel 27.5 will be released this December."

Bring on the 4-5 inch travel racey 27.5ers

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was striking pedals a bit too- don't know if it was the low bb or the fact that I could pedal in more situations.
    Maybe someof both?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Probably some of both, although even with a 10mm bottom bracket drop I would think a27.5 BB should be approx13.5 inches from ground since the wheel center was at 14" from ground...

Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post

BTW, was there any mention what travel the Fuel EX would have? Likely 120mm eh? (Considering they reduced the travel on the Remedy from 150 to 140 when it became 650B)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat View Post
    You should consider the Santa Cruz 5010 (Solo).
    They call it 125mm rear and 130 front. I have yet to measure more than 110 of movement up front.
    I would say that this is a very capable racing bike with the right build- suitable for anyone but the "world cup" hardtail type rider.
    I have mine down to about 23 pounds with Stans rims- probably could get closer to 22 pounds with carbon wheels and lighter tires.
    Suspension is not too active (though it is active)- this bike can climb as fast as the rider-
    23 lbs...impressive. What other components did you go with?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Just make sure the wheel doesn't hit the seat tube on full compression...
    The tires doesn't hit the seat tube on the XL Alpino that I am selling........checked it. I wish Ventana would publish the findings......because it can't be good for business with so many good 650B offerings.

mtbr member
    How about the2014 Fezzari Alta Peak? Its 140mm travel and appears to have a good kit spec (sramX7). Its not a very sophisticated rear susp. setup, but looks like it may be good. I am not seeing alot of reviews on that particular model (lowest), but the price is great ($1950). You could use the extra to upgrade wheels/cockpit/add dropper/whatevr....I have not owned a FS bike, so I dont know how to compare it to other brands/susp. setups.
    "I have come to kick ass and chew bubblegum....and I'm all outta bubblegum".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast