Thread: 1106 bc

removing nudity

1106 bc

and just like Rome, not built in a day.

This story started around November last year when, away on a boys MTB weekend in Rotorua I was asked what my next bike would be? "Not sure yet but it'll probably be a 650b." Fast forward to March this year, 3 rides in as many months, snowed under with looking after 3 kids and trying to renovate a house I started dreaming of N+1 to help keep me sane. A reno and 3 kids means that reality hit and there was no way I was going to go N+1 unless I went N-1 first. Time to part ways with my beloved Viper Carbon hardtail which I knew from the first ride was too small for me but it was just so much fun to ride I kept for over 3 years. Not going to get much for a 3 yr old carbon hardtail so I decided to find a frame that would allow me to reuse as many parts from the Viper as possible (yeah like that was ever going to happen )

I started trawling the 650b forum, asked heaps of questions, and read, and read and read some more. After seeing some very promising threads here I set my mind on an On-One 456c which, of course, I would convert to 650b, hence my 1106BC.

Frame ordered... initial disappointment
    1106 bc-email2.jpg

followed by great On-One customer service
    Name:  DSC01871.JPE
Views: 601
Size:  15.3 KB

had me drooling over one of the nicest, no damn it, sexiest looking frames I have ever had my grubby little paws on. Standard fair was never going to suffice for this one, so I started to accumulate some bling. This started in June and I am still waiting for the last few bits to arrive before I can complete this build. I had intended to wait till it was finished before I started to "share" but there have been a number of people here that went above and beyond helping me move in the right direction. It's time I started to give a little back.

Just a little mind you, this Killer Bee is not complete so it would be wrong of me to show a full bike shot until she is. Until then, be teased

Name:  DSC02110.JPE
Views: 610
Size:  15.2 KB
    Name:  DSC02111.JPE
Views: 588
Size:  15.7 KB
    Name:  DSC02112.JPE
Views: 597
Size:  15.0 KB

More pics tomorrow night, when my camera is charged
    Last edited by emu26; 11-23-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Dissolved member
    Way to show off! Looking good Emu but we need to see more.

removing nudity
    two more for the books.
    A quick pic snapped for the tech guys at hygia after I sent them an email wanting to know why the adaptor they told me to get had the calliper sitting so high and if they were going to send the right one without a postage charge.

Name:  DSC02118.JPE
Views: 455
Size:  15.2 KB
    Name:  DSC02121.JPE
Views: 456
Size:  15.0 KB

After sending the pics as requested I was sitting back looking at them when it dawned on me that the problem wasn't theirs, but mine. The result of building bikes late at night when you should be sleeping.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

removing nudity
    ignore that last pic, that was with a 160mm(?) avid adaptor fitted

removing nudity
    double post.

Sail On!
    Hey Emu what is your frame weight/size? Some say the 456C is on the heavy side true?

removing nudity
    Sorry Pat, weight weenie days are long behind me. My frame is a large but it has not seen any scales. Yes they are heavier than similar sized carbon frames form other manufacturers but you're not buying a 6" carbon hardtail because you are after a light weight race frame. This is a play bike and I am more than happy to give up a couple of hundred grams to the likes of Scott, Crack n'fail or even the "chinese" unbrandeds for a stronger, beefier frame.

removing nudity

finally...

1106 bc-dsc02145.jpg
    1106 bc-dsc02146.jpg
    1106 bc-dsc02151.jpg
    1106 bc-dsc02153.jpg

removing nudity

tyre clearance?

Well documented elsewhere on this forum but for those that haven't seen it

1106 bc-dsc02154.jpg

1106 bc-dsc02156.jpg

Obviously plenty of clearance in the back, clearance at chain stay / seat tube junction is less but still fairly good. Up front there is good clearance to the bridge. With the fork devoid of all air and all of my weight pushing down on the fork and with an over inflated tyre I do get tyre buzz, not enough to stop the tyre from rotation, but it's there none the less and enough for me to keep a close eye on it.

removing nudity
    and in all her glory, well as much glory as possible sitting in the entry hall

1106 bc-dsc02152.jpg

Again, thanks to everyone here that has been so helpful, answering all of my questions, many inane at times, that has made finishing this build possible.

Still to do?
    Well ride it of course, and with that will come adjustments to saddle height / position and changes / fine tuning to the stem stack height etc.
    Possibly a dropper post, depending on if I can get comfortable with the saddle far enough forward to be able to negate the offset post currently used.
    Everything else looks the shizz to me but only time will tell if looks have come at the expense of performance and if I will need to revert to function over form.

First ride will hopefully be this weekend, ride reports to follow

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What is the bb height with the 650b?

Dissolved member
    Wow congrats, that is a lot of bling!

LO2 - mine sits at around 13 5/8" with a 130mm Velvet fork IIRC.

removing nudity
    Thanks StiHacka, looks count with this one.

LO2 140mm fork BB is 350mm or about 13.8 inches

120mm fork BB is 345mm or about 13.58 inches

100mm fork setting BB is 340mm or about 13.4 inches.

All of the above should be accurate to within about 0.5 mm. Hope that helps.