mtbr member
    Jan 2007

08 Jamis Dakota elite B'd

It's official. My 08 Jamis Dakota elite is a go for 650b. Both wheels fit with a comfortable amount of clearance (quasi f&r). I built a 650b Synergy/WTBLaserlite wheelset. The rear need some tweaking so I didn't get to test ride it, but I just got done with the B on the front and I love it. I've own both 29er and 26er over that past two years. I love the rolling part of the 29,but here in kentucky we have ALOT of tight steep switchbacks and I hated the slow acceleration and bulkiness on tight techinal stuff. 26 is great for that and my racing but, no where near as comfortable as the 29er, and I missed that "cruising" feeling. 650 really may be the perfect blend of both sizes. Can't wait to test the full B. I'll post pics as soon as my rear is done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Here's some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

That is one good looking bike.

And I ain't much for hardatils anymore. Very cool!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    P309,

The bike looks really good! Let's hear the ride report once you've had 20-30 hrs on her.

cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

PacentiCycleDesign

mtbr member
    Can you take some photos of the front end fork clearance please!? Is that a Duke?

Witty McWitterson
    That's a really surprising amount of clearance. Nice fitting! Be sure to report back with ride feel, eh?
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Took her out on two different trails this weekend. Waverly-which is super flowy fast IMBA modeled trail, with some serious tough climbs in the front. It felt very nice there. It felt initially more like a 29er than a 26er. The rollablility, giro.momentum was the first difference I could feel. I immediately like it. This trail if very fast though, and could feel smooth on my cross bike, so the overall comfort was hard to gauge. But it did feel smoother through the creek crossings and small roots. Toward the end I took it up this new section that was just cut by a dingo. VERY offcamber with steep ups. Wheelie drops through creek ravines. The bike was great through this. The stop/stall/manuvuring felt pretty much like my 26er. Not slow to accelerate at all. And the front wheel could be pull off the ground for wheelies. Something i hated about my 29er.
    Cherokee trail - very rocky and rooty trail, with alot of tight switchbacks, and skinny technical sections. The bike was amazing in it. Flowed well over all the tought stuff. Quasi's STUCK to everything. On all the loose rock and nasty root climbs the rear never slipped. Nice job Kirk. The back end felt extremely soft compared to the previous 26 wheel. This trail used to kill my back on this bike as a 26. I did this ride with a buddy on a KHS soft tail. We swithched and he even commented on how smooth it felt compared to his soft tail. I could tell as well, couldn't wait to switch back. I could also really sling it around the tight swithbacks like a 26er, unlike my 29er.
    All in all i REALLY enjoy this bike. I can't wait to ride it again. Weather is perfect here right now. Trails are dry. It's hard to stay at work, he he he.
    I'll try to get picks of the fork clearance soon. i don't really like the Duke though. I want a fox or xfusion. Probably xfusion.

mtbr member
    nice initial ride report. Please do snap some shots of the fork.

Best,

Mark

mtbr member
    Here's another question for everyone.

Okay so this frame has room with 16.75" chainstays (or thereabouts)..........so do you think there would be room in a Salsa Moto Rapido frame as well (similar rear end with 16.9" chainstays and acclaimed room for a 26x2.3 tire?

What say ye?

nothing relevant to say
    I'm at 16.5" with my VooDoo Bokor with Quasi's. Plenty of clearance. But, I doubt I could get Neo-Moto in there.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hey, that looks really good. i might have to consider one of those myself...

speaking of jamis anyone try out other jamis bikes for compatibility? specifically the dragon 26 or the dakar xcr's

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm thinking a Quasi should work fine in a Moto Rapido. My old Ibis with around 16.7 chainstays fits a Quasi fine but the Neo is a bit close to the seatstays. On my Gunnar with horizontal ends the Quasi can move up to 16.5" with good clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Here's another question for everyone.

Okay so this frame has room with 16.75" chainstays (or thereabouts)..........so do you think there would be room in a Salsa Moto Rapido frame as well (similar rear end with 16.9" chainstays and acclaimed room for a 26x2.3 tire?

What say ye?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Another bit on this bike. It would go 650b off the shelf. The stock bike comes with a Fox RL. So just add a set of B's and your ready to roll with a new complete bike.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom_309
    It's official. My 08 Jamis Dakota elite is a go for 650b. Both wheels fit with a comfortable amount of clearance (quasi f&r). I built a 650b Synergy/WTBLaserlite wheelset. The rear need some tweaking so I didn't get to test ride it, but I just got done with the B on the front and I love it. I've own both 29er and 26er over that past two years. I love the rolling part of the 29,but here in kentucky we have ALOT of tight steep switchbacks and I hated the slow acceleration and bulkiness on tight techinal stuff. 26 is great for that and my racing but, no where near as comfortable as the 29er, and I missed that "cruising" feeling. 650 really may be the perfect blend of both sizes. Can't wait to test the full B. I'll post pics as soon as my rear is done.
    I'm a little late to the party, but this is EXCELLENT!

I'm saving up for a Kinesis KM-615, a 26"-wheeled frame very similar (alu with carbon seat stay) to the Dakota Elite (Kinesis makes these as well), for a 650B conversion. Due to the un-popularity of Kinesis-branded frames in these boards, I was hard-pressed to find any info on it.

I'm so glad to have found this thread. It is encouraging to know that the likelihood of a 650B conversion is most probable with the KM-615.
    This has strengthened my resolve to try and get the KM-615
    Last edited by r1Gel; 07-27-2009 at 08:46 PM.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.