mtbr member
    Jan 2009

03 SWORKS Epic 650B conversion

Has anybody ever tried a 650B conversion on 2003 Specialized SWORKS EPIC?
    I have a FOX float 100 RLC on it now.
    Thx in advance for anyone's help.

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    Quickest way to figure it out is to find a friend with a 650b wheelset and put them in there. See how they fit. Odds are that nobody will have or have tried that specific frame.

mtb remember
    There are several active threads right now on 650b Epics. Even though yours is an M4 generation, I believe the swingarm is the same as the newer ones. I have a 2005 S-Works Epic and my 650b wheelset should be here any day. I'll post pics of the fit with both the QuasiMoto and NeoMoto.
    ~ May The Schwartz Be With You ~

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

No Problem..

It works real well with the Quasi
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Finally got my wheels:
    650B blunts, HOPE front with a NEOMOTO and XT REAR ( ran out of coin for HOPE rear hub) QUASIMOTO in the rear mounted backwards for traction...looks cool

Had my first ride on bEPIC...rear tire has rubbing issues when suspension in the rear activates
    Sucks because it rode great...Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtb remember
    Where is it rubbing....on the front derailleur clamp?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It's rubbing on the top of the seatstay/swingarm as you can see the clearance isn't much in the first pic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I wanted to give y'all an update on the conversion. I put in 50 miles over the last couple of days on it, even with the slight rubbing when the rear swing arm comes up. The bike rode awesome but fear I would wear out the new Qusimoto with the rubbing. Going to put the 26 back on the rear and hope it rides as well with just the 650B up front.

I have Vassago Bandersnatch on the way might try the 650B on the rear.

thanks for y'alls help
    Carlos

mtbr member
    650b on a long chainstayed 29er hardtail sounds like a poor idea to me - but your mileage may vary.

mtbr member
    Bringing back an old thread. I have a 2003 Epic Comp and am wanting to convert the wheels to 650b. Anyone have anymore info they can share about their experience with up-sizing to 650b with a 2003-2006 Epic M4 aluminum frame?
    Last edited by Epic_Dude; 08-11-2013 at 05:51 PM.

mtbr member
    I would pM C_CUB directly, however I need 10 posts before I can do so. Maybe a little discussion here will help me reach that so I can contact him directly.

mtb remember
    I did a 650bEpic a few years ago with good results (search my user name for posts and pics of the build). I ended up really liking the 650B front tire all the time, but switched between 26 and B rear wheel depending on conditions. There isn't much room for mud or a big tread on the rear arch.

mtb remember
    In case you're feeling lazy....

650B S-Works Epic - First Ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have a 2010 sworks epic 26er and I don't see how a 650b wheel will fit on the rear. Even if it did, it would be too close for comfort.

mtbr member
    Hi Woodsskier, thank you for your reply. Yes, your 2010 is a much different frame design than my 2003. It may not work for you but I'm hoping that with the right tire I may be able to make a 650b fit with my frame and fork.
    Last edited by Epic_Dude; 08-11-2013 at 05:53 PM.

mtbr member
    The original poster, C_CUB, asked about his 2003 Epic which should be the same as mine. So based on C_CUB's feedback he was close to getting this to work with only getting the tire to rub when the suspension is compressed.

I know there is a lot of variation in the tire side wall height which could make all the difference.

I've also contacted some tire vendors and am asking what the OD of their 650b tire is when inflated to 34 psi (or whatever psi they might have data for)
    Last edited by Epic_Dude; 08-11-2013 at 05:53 PM.

mtbr member
    I just figured out my Epic is also a 2003 so my experience should be the same as C_CUB, again I think with the right tire this might work.

Once I get 10 posts I can PM C_CUB and try and confirm how his conversion is doing.
    Last edited by Epic_Dude; 08-11-2013 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    epic_dude -I replied to your PM

I sold my epic frame a couple years ago...couldn't get past the rubbing in rear

it may have been because I was running velocity blunts

been searching for 09 Epic or newer..it has plenty of room in rear

for now I've been rolling my converted Ted Wojcik softtrac 26' with ZTR 355s

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just found this thread. I'm getting ready to convert my wife's 2004 Epic to 650b. The easy way to get rid of the rubbing on the seat post is to put some bottom out shims in the rear shock. You can use nylon washers from Lowe's for this. There are threads out there that can walk you through it. If you can't find it let me know - I did it on the rear shock on my Ibis Mojo and it would be the exact same. Really easy to do.

What I am wondering is what specific tires will clear the bridge connecting the seat stays. The schwalbe racing ralph's rub ever so slightly. I need a tire just a little bit smaller. Anybody had success with others or any input?

Thanks a lot,
    Mike

mtbr member
    msbihli, I forgot to post here but I mounted a set of 650b wheels to my 2003 Epic and it did not go well. The wheels and tires were off a new bike at a bike shop so I didn't check which tires were mounted but the problem was not with the tires.

As soon as the suspension compressed with just my weight (sag) the link was really close to the tire and would rub the tire when riding over any small bumps. There was no issue with the tire on the seat post, it never got that close as it hit the link first.

As for adding spacers to limit shock travel, it would be too much of a comprimise since I feel there would not be enough suspension travel leftover to do the job. The newer Epics (2009 and higher) that have the shock mounted in the front triangle work fine as the suspension linkage is totally different.

I've since given up on 650b as I determined I like my 26" Epic the way it is and instead built a Carbon HT 29er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the reply Epic_Dude. I already put the 650b's on my wife's bike (taken off of my bike) and took it for a quick spin (without brakes - which made it "fun"). It ran well other than the tire slightly rubbing the bridge.

I also fully deflated the shock afterward and found that the only interference other than the bridge that I mentioned earlier is the welded aluminum lug on the seat post that supports the mounts for the link. I did not encounter any issue with hitting the link with the tire like you say in your post. There must be some difference between the two bikes that causes this. My wife's bike is a women's design and is a 2004 frame, so perhaps the link is slightly different than yours to gain a different leverage ratio for women riders.

The 650b's I put on are Stan's ZTR Crest with Schwalbe Rocket Ron's (2.25).

Thanks for the input!

Mike

mtbr member
    Glad it worked better for you. Maybe the sidewalls of the tires that I tried were taller which made the issue worse for me.