mtbr member
    Aug 2013

$900 To Spend on Sight Killer b2

Thinking of upgrading to Pike 150mm forkforks

or

Some new wheels.

Where would I see the biggest improvements overall. I acknowledge that one may be better uphill and the other downhill. As most of my riding encompasses both I have no preference.

love the bike but love to tinker.

Thanks in advance.
    F

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

If it were my $900 (I have a range b2), I would upgrade the internals on the fox fork to 2014 specs and see if you like that any better. That will cost you < $100. Take the remainder and spend it on a wheelset or a dropper if the terrain that you ride requires it.

mtbr member
    I have the Sight B-1, and if I were to change anything, it would be the wheels. More precisely, the hubs. The sun wheels themselves are actually fine, but nothing beats having a set of hubs with nice engagement. If you want to upgrade your fork, I would consider just getting the 150mm air spring kit, and maybe having someone like PUSH do a custom tune for about a third of the price of a new Pike. Just a couple of thoughts to consider.
    Last edited by Hill-Pumper; 08-26-2013 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member

Wheels. You can always change out the damper if your not happy with the performance of your fork.

Dissolved member
    From my own experience with Mojo HD, a top class rear shock can transform even a great bike. Take a look at Avalanche Downhill Racing , give Craig a call. Or if you want to stay with an air shock, look at Monarch RC3+ or XFusion Vector. All these will run circles around the Float.

mtbr member
    Wheels are always my first choice for upgrade. Nothing beats light stiff wheels! But thats just the most noticeable thing for me assuming everything else is ok.
    If the fork is a noticeable problem get it fixed and spend the remainder on wheels as others have said.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks to those who replied.

I will keep the front end for a while and put the coin towards some new hoops and hubs.

Cheers F

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hadley rear hub and Hope EVO Pro 2 front hub mated to some new super wide Derby carbon rims for the win. Like mentioned above get the 2014 internals for the Fox fork when time permits. Cheap and very effective from the reports so far.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Hadley rear hub and Hope EVO Pro 2 front hub mated to some new super wide Derby carbon rims for the win. Like mentioned above get the 2014 internals for the Fox fork when time permits. Cheap and very effective from the reports so far.
    Not a bad suggestion but I have a better one: have a Hadley in the front, too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Not a bad suggestion but I have a better one: have a Hadley in the front, too.
    Yeah Petr, while I love Hadley the EVO Pro 2 hub is a terrific hub and converts to any axle size in just seconds with your spacers of choice. It's also cheaper when you order it from Wiggle or CRC. Can't go wrong either way.

I so want to try those Derby rims but just can't justify it unless I sell off some stuff.

Dissolved member
    I guess I am going through midlife crisis and a new wheel and a pair of brakes is still cheaper than a used sport car!

I am with you. I have two front wheels with Hope Pros and a rear one, too. For the front, the Hopes are fine, but I wanted to have a nice Hadley set this time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    From my own experience with Mojo HD, a top class rear shock can transform even a great bike. Take a look at Avalanche Downhill Racing , give Craig a call. Or if you want to stay with an air shock, look at Monarch RC3+ or XFusion Vector. All these will run circles around the Float.
    +1 - I'd rather have great suspension before new wheels.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com