mtbr member
    Feb 2013

$650 Budget - 650b wheel size womens mountain bike - What is the best, lightest bike

I'm looking at the following bikes as options. I'd like to get 650B wheels but 26er is ok too. What is your opinion on the best mountain bike I can get my Fiance?

KHS - Alite 150

HARO Flightline 2
    HARO Flightline sport

KHS SixFifty 300 ladies

Trying to get a bike for my fiance....

Or I could fix my Schwinn Moab 1 (put a nice woman's seat on it, lower the seat height) and give the Schwinn to her and get a new bike for me... Issue with the Schwinn is the wheel hubs need to be repacked (maybe that means I have to replace wheels) and the shifters are old and skip shifts (not good, especially for a rider who doesn't know the trick to get them to work).

She is around 5'4"
    We both prefer hard-tails. full suspension is not an option
    Last edited by sweeper240; 09-03-2013 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeper240 View Post
    Trying to get a bike for my fiance....

Or I could fix my Schwinn Moab 1 (put a nice woman's seat on it, lower the seat height) and give the Schwinn to her and get a new bike for me... Issue with the Schwinn is the wheel hubs need to be repacked (maybe that means I have to replace wheels) and the shifters are old and skip shifts (not good, especially for a rider who doesn't know the trick to get them to work).
    How long do you intend to stay married?

Typically, no one likes a hand me down bike, especially a finicky one, unless they show interest beforehand in the bike. Speaking from experience in attempting to excite the wife into mtb with my used rides, I would say get a bike for her that is at least new to her. I would not purchase one without her input, unless the deal is just too good to pass up. Go to the LBS, see what she likes and have her test ride a couple if possible. I can't speak for the rides you suggested, but if she doesn't like her bike it won't get ridden and you won't like your efforts scoffed at.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ^^+1^^

I had my wife riding my old 26" hard tail to see what interest she had. When she showed that she liked it, I let her ride my 26" full suspension bike to compare. She loved it after riding the FS bike and said she would continue riding if she had one. Well, I began shopping and found a good deal on a Giant Anthem 29er XW 4. She got to try out the Anthem frame before purchase and was hooked. She now asks me, "When are we going to go ride?" Like dbhammercyc says, take her to the LBS and let her try out a few bikes.

If Giant had the 27.5" Lust out when we were looking at the Anthems earlier this year, my wife would be most likely riding the Lust.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Forever.

First step really is to find a seat that doesn't cause pain

Agree on getting her a new bike, however money doesn't grow on trees. Its more likely that I would recommend her get a new bike, as a matter of fact that was my recommendation to her, however if all the metal in the world disappeared, mine would have to work.

mtbr member
    KHS SixFifty 300 ladies... this time of year you might get a good deal on one.