Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I Ride for Donuts

$2500 budget...best 27.5 options?

Sorry if this kind of question gets repeated a million times here...

I went from a FS 26" to a hardtail 29er about 4 years ago, and I'm craving full suspension again... and very much leaning towards trying out the 27.5 thing. I mostly do "trail riding" kind of stuff... lots of climbing, lots of descending, some techy rocky stuff, some jumping but nothing too huge, lots of flowy/bermy trails with some rock and roots thrown in... looking for a trailbike. Not too "all mountain", which is what I seem to be running into the more I look.

I've read a few reviews on the KHS sixfifty 6500 that have me excited...that seems like it's right up my alley (and not too far out of budget) but I'm admittedly out of the loop on what's out there in 27.5 land.

Any suggestions on what else to look at for around $2500?

Thanks
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rocky Mountain Altitude?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Norco Fluid 7
    Full suspension/120mm travel

MSRP - $1700- $2600
    Available - Oct. 2013

From Norco:

The cycling community fell in love with 27.5"/650B wheels but there remains a lack of choice at the lower price points that the majority of mountain bikers are looking for. Suspension kinematics and geometry are specific to the wheel size, delivering the ultimate trail mountain biking experience in a very affordable package.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you're a smooth talker you might be able to get a GT Sensor Elite for $2500 (they all come with FOX CTD shocks which is why the prices are so high), but I think it's supposed to be a while before they hit shop floors. Other wise on the Giant side of things, Anthem 27.5 3 is $2250 and the Trance 27.5 3 is $2125 or less. Your local Giant dealer should be be at these prices or below.

I too have been concerned about the trail market getting made into all mountain huck bikes with no bikes left for normal people to simply enjoy MTBing. Both because it's completely not my style or interest and there's no riding like that for hours from our shop, and because the majority of our customers are average joe's not bike park bombers. But, I have a sneaking suspicion that these bikes actually haven't lost any trail-ability like climbing and what not, but are simply more capable bikes that can do what they used to and take on more craziness. I'm really hoping for a win-win here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    JensonUSA has the Rocky Mountain Altitude 730's for $2200 right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Second vote for checking out the new Giant Trance 2. Right around $2K, leaves you a little cash for upgrades (I'd probably put some Shimano SLX or XT brakes on there). Geometry looks great for what you're asking.

I Ride for Donuts
    Thanks guys, I will check these out. Jenson doesn't have the Rocky Mountian in my size. Reading up on that one though, sounds very good... I will check out the Giant for sure.

mtbr member
    im in the same boat, and i am thinking the giant trance as well. Also an ibis mojo transfer 650b or (i know, i know) a upcoming motobecane fs 650b.

But I think my heart is on this - Showcase: Trance Advanced 27.5 - Giant Bicycles / Bikes

I Ride for Donuts
    The Norco looks promising too, thanks. I like everything about the Giant except the horrible paint scheme/graphics. Why can't they make the cheaper models in the same sweet black as the more expensive ones?

Ooh edit: maybe it does. What's the difference between the Trance 27.5 1 and the Trance 27.5 2? Looks like the 2 comes in Black.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    im in the same boat, and i am thinking the giant trance as well. Also an ibis mojo transfer 650b or (i know, i know) a upcoming motobecane fs 650b.

But I think my heart is on this - Showcase: Trance Advanced 27.5 - Giant Bicycles / Bikes
    Well, you're not quite in the same boat as the OP since the Trance Advanced and Ibis you're looking at are more in the $5K (or higher) range. Nice bikes for sure, though. Also take a look at the Santa Cruz Bronson and Solo, since they're in a similar price and performance range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was in the same boat when the Trance 27.5 came out. I bought the Trance 3. paid MSRP but got $300 in store credit for pedals and a new brain bucket. It has been great so far.

mtbr member
    I was considering the Jamis

mtbr member
    Check out the New Santa Cruz bike that was released yesterday...

mtbr member
    I think this Santa Cruz Bicycles BANTAM is right up your alley!
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zgroove View Post
    Check out the New Santa Cruz bike that was released yesterday...
    Wow, SC is just rolling them out this year! So this Bantam is basically a slightly heavier duty Superlight with 27.5 wheels, yes? Price is right, though the kit seems a little low-end for the dollars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Check put the Norco website it has been updated and some very nice and well equipped bikes for under 2500.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    All NORCO Bikes here
    Fluid 7.1 = $2575 Canadian/some XT
    Fluid 7.2 = $1915 Canadian/Deore spec

In general, nobody is discussing bike weight, but is it assumed ~ 30 lbs in this price range?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    All NORCO Bikes here
    Fluid 7.1 = $2575 Canadian/some XT
    Fluid 7.2 = $1915 Canadian/Deore spec

In general, nobody is discussing bike weight, but is it assumed ~ 30 lbs in this price range?
    Norco's look nice but note the 13" BB height if you ride in lots of chunk or rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Norco's look nice but note the 13" BB height if you ride in lots of chunk or rocks.
    I just rode a Large Norco Fluid 29er (9.1) last weekend, and yes, the BB seems too low for my riding style over rocky terrain; I was constantly being clipped out by bottoming over the rough stuff. It took some getting used to, but by the end of the ride I was able to modify. Overall, I loved the bike, but would throw shorter cranks on it if it was mine. I do prefer short cranks anyway; I run 170 on my MTB's and 165 on road/TT.
    I have the Giant Trance 3 27.5 on order already, and can't wait for it to show up! I was dead set on staying with 29er, but after reading rave tester reviews on the Trance in the mid-wheel-size, I figured I'd pull the trigger and see how it went. If it comes before you decide, I'll post my thoughts here.

I Ride for Donuts
    Hmmm good point on the BB height, I hadn't noticed that. Not sure if that would bug me or not. I'm pretty tall, so it's a positive and a negative. The BB height on the Bantam is 13.1, and it's 13.3 on the KHS. All in the same ballpark really.

Weight...I'm not too picky about weight. I don't think I've ever weighed the bikes I have now. Durability is a much higher priority for me.

I wish there was more info/reviews already on the Bantam Anyone have any brilliant observations about that design? 68*/73* geometry...
    the KHS is 68.5*/73*, and for the same money you get 2x10 and Sram X7/X9... the more I look the more I like the KHS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    SC is calling the Bantam a 27.5 lower-travel Heckler, for what that's worth.

mtbr member
    Jamis Dakar comp

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ The Jamis is on the list too... I like the rear thru-axle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm in the same boat as the op and am really interested in the trance 27.5 3. Does anyone know if it comes with iscg tabs like the 27.5 1? Sorry a little off topic

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the NEW 2014 Kona PRECEPT DL - $1899 usd - its based on the Satori which has been a brilliant bike - they didnt just slap wheels on it - they engineered the frame geo and sus for the wheels (apparently all similar to new process but on their swinger platform) - my lbs owner was at dealer camp - rode it and said it rips like no other for the money. might be one to add to your consideration. decent component/brake and wheel spec, 130mm rr travel/140mm frt with the lefotver money - you could add a dropper, some sweet blingy bits (bar/stem), upgrade the front fork?

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL DS | PRECEPT DL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast