Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Carbon rims for MTB , I guess I am not seeing it......
    How so? I'm currently running 2 ENVE wheelsets (26" XC and 650B AM). I have hundreds of miles on the 26" XC with zero issues (my 2nd set), though just got the 650B version but I gather those will be issue-free also.

Yup, ENVE rims are expensive. But their customer service and warranty replacement are fantastic. I also like the fact they manufacture the rims here in the USA.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants View Post
    I also like the fact they manufacture the rims here in the USA.
    +1

Interesting article here:
    ENVE Composites Factory Tour Inside Look at Company & Carbon Fiber Manufacturing - Bike Rumor
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

MattSavage
    Bevato is now manufacturing 650b rims. Might be an opportunity for a group buy here... She confirmed in another email that they'll do other hole options as well.

Please kindly see below our new product information for your reference.

Model: BWR-132
    650B clincher rim
    profile: 28mm
    width: 26.3mm
    finish: UD finish
    spoke hole combination: front 24H, rear 24H 4.2mm hole
    For disc brake use only
    ERD: 544
    Min. Q'ty request per order: 50pcs
    Production lead time: 3 months after order & payment is confirmed.
    without logo, OEM package FOB Taiwan US$ 169.00/each rim

This new product will be available in the following trade shows:
    2012 Eurobike show: Hall A1-502
    2012 Interbike show: #26056
    2012 Taichung Bike Week: Evergreen B2 booth #B4

Please feel free to book meetings with us in the above mentioned trade shows.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

derp
    Anyone tried them ? For $160/rim i might build one wheel to tried them out ( replacing the 'dinged' Crest i have on a wheelset ).
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    pretty nice.... i would love to try tubeless on these. what's a good hub to use for these rims ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i have a set sitting with SRLPE wheelworks waiting to get built.
    so hopefully i will be trying them soon

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    i have a set sitting with SRLPE wheelworks waiting to get built.
    so hopefully i will be trying them soon
    How long ago did you order and have they been in contact with delivery status? I ordered the 20mm clinchers yesterday for a new build.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It took about 8 business days from the time i paid till they were shipped out and got the tracking number the following day.

The wheelbuilder looked them over and said that the bead seat looks traditional and not tubeless. The supplier specifically told me that they were tubeless profile.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    It took about 8 business days from the time i paid till they were shipped out and got the tracking number the following day.

The wheelbuilder looked them over and said that the bead seat looks traditional and not tubeless. The supplier specifically told me that they were tubeless profile.
    Interesting. Did you purchase the 20mm or the 25mm? They list their 20mm as the clincher tubeless rim.

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    I've built up 2 sets of road rims without issue. One pair takes a beating on a disc brake equipped CX bike. Never built up the ENVE rims, but I want the ENVE rims. Just can't justify the price for myself.
    Can't justify the price? Well remember that when you are sitting in a hospital bed because your chinese carbon rim blew up on you, and you can't take them to court because they are in China.

Carbon rims are an art, best executed by skilled labor in a controlled environment. HUGE difference in cheap stuff vs expensive stuff. I wouldn't risk it. If you can't afford a ENVE carbon rim, stick to alloy.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishin Paul View Post
    Interesting. Did you purchase the 20mm or the 25mm? They list their 20mm as the clincher tubeless rim.
    sorry, mine came from Shanghai Hongying Trade Co.,Ltd
    but they are listed as 30mm

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    I've built up 2 sets of road rims without issue. One pair takes a beating on a disc brake equipped CX bike. Never built up the ENVE rims, but I want the ENVE rims. Just can't justify the price for myself.
    Can't justify the price? Well remember that when you are sitting in a hospital bed because your chinese carbon rim blew up on you, and you can't take them to court because they are in China.

Carbon rims are an art, best executed by skilled labor in a controlled environment. HUGE difference in cheap stuff vs expensive stuff. I wouldn't risk it. If you can't afford a ENVE carbon rim, stick to alloy.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    sorry, mine came from Shanghai Hongying Trade Co.,Ltd
    but they are listed as 30mm
    Any reports? How are they built up? Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah i have a report.
    Wheelbuilder received the rims and found lots of pinholes in the carbon. Concerned with sealing, we sent pictures to manufacturer. They wanted me to buy some "soft putty" to repair it and i guess they would reimburse me.

Wheelbuilder emailed them to get spoke tension, and they told him that these rims are not available now b/c they have to change the molds. He checked the bead seat diameter and sure enough, they are too small.

I emailed Sophia yesterday and will post what i get back.

So I had the wheelbuilder order some nice American rims.
    Last edited by codytaylor; 08-14-2012 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Next update:

Sophia replied back saying they just realized the problem and the first rims were made per some customers deminsions request and it turns out they are all wrong.

granted they should have tested the products themselves before sending them out to any other customers, but i was able to get a full refund and will be sending the rims back to them.

They are planning to re-build the molds and make new 650B rims.

Looks like right now their customer service is good as they are trying to fix the problem without keeping my money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo View Post

Don't know how I missed this.

You don't think these manufacturers are skilled laborers? This is a region of the world where a huge majority of carbon bicycle products are produced, and yet you think these wheels are just going to explode? That's nutty. I really, really, really want some ENVE rims, and I may get a pair one day, but I have had success with my China/Taiwan rims. If ENVE can buy parts from Taiwan/China then so can I.

Dissolved member
    Next update:

Sophia replied back saying they just realized the problem and the first rims were made per some customers deminsions request and it turns out they are all wrong.

granted they should have tested the products themselves before sending them out to any other customers, but i was able to get a full refund and will be sending the rims back to them.
    Scary! They never tried to ride them before selling them? That is not just extreme cost cutting, that is a gamble with their customers' lives. This cheap stuff will cost someone a lot of money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nancy from Light-Bicycles just emailed saying their carbon 650b will ship end of this month. Many, many satisfied buyers on their 29er carbon wheels including me. Delivery was quick, aired up nice and tight tubeless (well, except once with the front on a new tire swap, dunno why) and have been reliable.

mtbr member

Light-Bicycle

Hi, how was it for the delivery and costs?
    Do you ride with a lefty?
    Thanks

mtbr member

Ztr

Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    Anyone tried them ? For $160/rim i might build one wheel to tried them out ( replacing the 'dinged' Crest i have on a wheelset ).
    Hi, why do you have such an issue with these rims?
    Thanks

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by VICpt View Post
    Hi, why do you have such an issue with these rims?
    Thanks
    The Crest rims ?

Well sure they're light but that comes at a cost, i find them way too soft. I already busted the rear rim once and now have to ride with a tube and they're full of dings from rocks. My Pacenti's on the other hand are, apart from the stickers, brand new even though i ride them much harder and with lower pressures.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

AKA Mr.Habanero
    I have a 2012 fox36 will those 30mm ebay rims fit my fork or would they be a smidge too big? I want to use the Ardents but those are high volume 2.4 tires. I think the carbon rims would be a great addtion to my riding!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Keep mind those Chinese rims does not include shipping. Add another $70 shipping and now those rims are $200 each approx. Many domestic online sites you can get free shipping. So these rims are ~$110 more than a Stan's Arch EX after all is said and done. Then you've got to deal with overseas transactions if you have warranty issues.

IDK. For me, I'd still rather use an alu rim for much less and deal with a US company than overseas company. And these carbon rims are the same weight or slightly less weight.
    We Ride In God's Country!

74 & 29 pilot
    More like $35 for shipping.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    These rims are intriguing for the price only when compared to the elites, ala Enve or Easton. But they're still much more than the popular and great Stans rims.

What are the advantages of these cheaper Chinese rims over the Stans? Weight? Not really. Stiffer? Maybe. But can that REALLY be felt on the ride? Maybe by some. More durable? Still mixed reviews.

I think carbon frames have proven themselves. But carbon rims? Maybe not yet, at least not at the prices they're asking.

I know what would convince me! A video like the PinkBike video, the one with them thrashing and stress testing the alu vs. carbon Nomad. If they did some tests like those, then I'd be convinced and more than willing to fork out my cash and sell my whole lot of alu wheelsets. In fact, I'm going to send that video to Nancy at LB and see what she might be able to do.

UPdate: I sent her a link to the PinkBike video. She said she'll send it to her engineers and see if they can make a video. Now that would be cool if they prove their strength with video!
    Last edited by myitch; 11-19-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    We Ride In God's Country!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast