fc
    used to be francois Administrator

WTB 27.5 + tires and wheels - Trailblazer and Bridger.

We wrote a story here.

WTB showcases new products in WTB Throwdown - Mtbr.com

Here's some cool photos. Anybody try them?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB 27.5 + tires and wheels - Trailblazer and Bridger.-img_3219.jpg  

WTB 27.5 + tires and wheels - Trailblazer and Bridger.-img_3220.jpg  

WTB 27.5 + tires and wheels - Trailblazer and Bridger.-img_3310.jpg  

WTB 27.5 + tires and wheels - Trailblazer and Bridger.-img_3323.jpg  

WTB 27.5 + tires and wheels - Trailblazer and Bridger.-img_3324.jpg  

WTB 27.5 + tires and wheels - Trailblazer and Bridger.-img_3325.jpg  

IPA will save America

Trips for Kids Denver
    I would like to try the Bridger in front but I believe it's not available until Fall.

fc
    The Bridger is super interesting cause it will push the downhill abilities of this tire size.

I've also seen the specialized purgatory 3.0
    IPA will save America

Trips for Kids Denver
    I've spent time on the TrailBlazer front and rear. I've also ridden the Trax Fatty 3.0 front.

With the TrailBlazer front and rear the bike is light feeling, manuals great and springs into the air nicely. The bummer is 1/2" bottom bracket drop and hitting cranks on ground more.

I put the Trax Fatty 3.0 ip front and got better bottom bracket height but lost the poppy feeling if that makes sense. Still haven't been able to wash either end out and i've been trying. Ha ha

I've also been surprised to be able to scrape the sidewalls on sandstone with no problems while riding Klondike Bluffs system, Amasa Back & Ahab.

fc

WTB 27.5 + tires and wheels - Trailblazer and Bridger.

Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    I've spent time on the TrailBlazer front and rear. I've also ridden the Trax Fatty 3.0 front.

With the TrailBlazer front and rear the bike is light feeling, manuals great and springs into the air nicely. The bummer is 1/2" bottom bracket drop and hitting cranks on ground more.

I put the Trax Fatty 3.0 ip front and got better bottom bracket height but lost the poppy feeling if that makes sense. Still haven't been able to wash either end out and i've been trying. Ha ha

I've also been surprised to be able to scrape the sidewalls on sandstone with no problems while riding Klondike Bluffs system, Amasa Back & Ahab.
    Good report. That is the problem with retrofits as 2.8s fit fine but the bottom bracket will drop a bit. Even with 3.0 tires there's a couple mm drop.

Starting with a 29er with a high bb and converting that may be the ticket.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    That is the problem with retrofits as 2.8s fit fine but the bottle bracket will drop a bit. Even with 3.0 tires there's a couple mm drop.
    A bit?! A Trailblazer is a full 35mm smaller in diameter compared to a 29x2.4 tire. That's what you get when you take a 2.5 tire and call it 2.8 on a wide rim.

Likewise 650bx3.0 tires produce more than a "couple mm drop".

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We thrashed the snot outta our Trax Fatty at Klondike and there's not a mark visible; that's on a tandem where we bulldoze everything, so if you need a tough tire this is the one!

I think the Trax Fatty sticks great to rock, but it is a little "bulky, heavy feeling" in the steering. We have the 3.25's, I'm going to try them on my Mutz, if they still feel the same, then I'll try something different. I wonder if they feel draggy because of the tread pattern...

Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post

WNC Native
    fc- Article sounds like the Bridger is taller than the 28.6" height of the Trailblazer. Can you tell us how much so?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew