mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Need recommendations for a fork upgrade on an ancient MB: 96 Judy XC on M2FS

Bought the bike new when I lived in San Diego, and still love it.

Bought aftermarket replacement poly elastomers, so I'm going to keep the XC going a little longer. (The old elastomers had basically disintegrated, so I'm working on cleaning out the fork.)

I found the 96 Judy XC owners manual from a thread on this forum, so I'm doing my best to bring it back to a functional status. Have a feeling the oil seals are shot (hard, unable to maintain an oil seal), and RockShox doesn't have anything online to show the parts required to keep it operational.

Any suggestions on where I can find a "universal" seal kit, or where I can find the actual factory seals for this ancient XC? May be able to find replacement dust seals, if they haven't changed their basic design...not sure where to measure, inside/outside...I'll wing that.

Moving onto a replacement fork. From everything I've read about the frame, should to stick to a 80mm fork. In order to buy something that fits the first time, what measurements do I need to have? Anything else I need to take into consideration? (It has caltilever brakes, so it's probably easier to stick with that type of fork.)

TIA!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi Edgeman,

I wish I could help on the seals, but I'm going to guess that Rockshox quit making parts for that fork a long time ago. You might be able to score a NOS seal kit off of ebay or check with the guys in the Vintage forum.

As for a replacement fork, your "upgrade" options are, of course, very limited. You didn't mention if the fork has a threadless or threaded steerer. If the fork is threaded, I think you're SOL. I haven't seen a new suspension fork with a threaded steerer in as long as I can remember. You can probably replace it with a rigid fork or scour e-bay or your local co-op for an older fork in good condition. If the old fork (and your headset) are threadless, you have a few more options. You can still get low end Rockshox forks with V-brake posts. I don't know if you'd be able to rig a cantilever cable hanger on there. There's also this fork: BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping It looks like it has a hole on the bridge to mount the canti hanger. Of course, you could also replace the old fork with a rigid fork (which is probably the cheapest and/or easiest thing to do) and then run a fatter front tire. You could also think about "upgrading" your front brake to V-brakes or even discs (hey, the brake "mullet" used to be a thing) to increase the choices.

Good luck with the project
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    When good elastomers go bad:
    Need recommendations for a fork upgrade on an ancient MB: 96 Judy XC on M2FS-img_2490.jpg

Pretty clear anything will be an improvement...lol

This is what's going in (from Suspension Fork Parts):
    Need recommendations for a fork upgrade on an ancient MB: 96 Judy XC on M2FS-img_2491.jpg

I'm happy someone makes replacement parts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Now I need advice for the bottom section.

Here is the maintenance manual:
    file:///C:/Users/John/Pictures/judyxc.pdf

I know I'm SOL when it comes to the oil seals, but I did buy Rockshox 5-weight oil. I know it goes into the cartridge (black cylinder on top), but do I add any to the other side (piston on bottom)? If so, where? Under the white bushing? I know it's going to leak, so I'll ensure I coat everything that rubs will get a nice coat of SRAM Butter.

Need recommendations for a fork upgrade on an ancient MB: 96 Judy XC on M2FS-img_2498.jpg

Thanks!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Are you talking about the wipers/seals where the stanchions interface to the lowers? I'm almost certain these use the same ones that later 28mm SID's which are readily available.

This is a good place to look as well: SUSPENSION - Bike Recyclery
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Dream it, Do it.
    Some ideas for 1 1/8" straight steerer tube forks with 80mm of travel:

Rock Shox 30 Gold RL A2
    Rock Shox 30 Gold RL

You might also look for a Marzocchi Z-2 of that vintage on eBay.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Some ideas for 1 1/8" straight steerer tube forks with 80mm of travel:

Rock Shox 30 Gold RL A2
    Rock Shox 30 Gold RL

You might also look for a Marzocchi Z-2 of that vintage on eBay.
    I see several different RL shocks on Ebay for 26" wheels,
    1-1/8" Alum Steerer
    & 80mm of travel. Are there any measurements I need to make before purchasing one to ensure compatibility?

I also don't see attachment points for my cantileaver brakes. What type of brake conversion does this require?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Are you talking about the wipers/seals where the stanchions interface to the lowers? I'm almost certain these use the same ones that later 28mm SID's which are readily available.

This is a good place to look as well: SUSPENSION - Bike Recyclery
    I ordered those off Amazon when I purchased the fork oil. Thankfully I have a micrometer to check dimensions.

Thanks for the link. I saved that for future use.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Hey I have the perfect fork for you. It is a Magura MD80. It has an uncut straight 1 1/8th steer tube, 80mm travel, disc and V-brake compatible, Was used briefly on my town bike than I moved to an unfriendly bicycle city. It has been sitting in my shed for a few years. Needs a new home. the fork is in almost new condition. Contact me at spunkmtb@yahoo.com or hear if you want pics or more info.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Ibis HD3

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    Hey I have the perfect fork for you. It is a Magura MD80. It has an uncut straight 1 1/8th steer tube, 80mm travel, disc and V-brake compatible, Was used briefly on my town bike than I moved to an unfriendly bicycle city. It has been sitting in my shed for a few years. Needs a new home. the fork is in almost new condition. Contact me at spunkmtb@yahoo.com or hear if you want pics or more info.
    Killer fork, the SL V brake version was extremely light as well.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgemanVA View Post
    I see several different RL shocks on Ebay for 26" wheels,
    1-1/8" Alum Steerer
    & 80mm of travel. Are there any measurements I need to make before purchasing one to ensure compatibility?

I also don't see attachment points for my cantileaver brakes. What type of brake conversion does this require?

Thanks!
    The new forks are pretty much all going to be disc only so you would need to go to a front disc brake.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes